LSD not so limited

daught

Oct 5, 2007
Oakville
Today while I parked on the side of the road and left in hurry I noticed my LSD is no longer LS. What can I do about this? Can they be rebuilt or do I need to replace it?

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
You can rebuild it. Basically you need to replace all the clutch disc inside and probably the bearings and such since it is already open. I think when I was looking at getting it done all the needed OEM parts were about $200 without labor.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
^^ That looks like alot of fun. I Will be getting an extra here soon and that info will come in handy.

daught

Oct 5, 2007
Oakville
Allright so I did some tests.

1. Both wheels up. Car in neutral. I spin one wheel the other turns the same way. (So I do have LSD)
2. One wheel up. Car in neutral. The wheel spins without any bit of resistance (wtf)
3. One wheel up(on floor jack with wheels). Car in first gear. At 1000 RPM the wheel spins freely.(WTF?!) I dont want to rev it higher since I dont want it to lock and launch it in the living room.

So basically I guess my plates are beyond worn. Where can I get clutch plates? Is it dealer only?

EDIT

So I have been doing some reading on these LSDs. I guess it makes sensee why 1 and 2 came out the way they did. Without much torque they don't lock. Come to think of it my LSD only slips initially then it stops. I guess new shims would help.

Also I think it slips more in cold weather than in warm weather. Is that possible? Why?

Is there any way to test the clutch? I will take it out to install new shims, but I would like to know beforehand if I need new plates too, so I can order them in advance.

Thanks guys :)

Last edited:

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
daught;1194202 said:
Allright so I did some tests.

1. Both wheels up. Car in neutral. I spin one wheel the other turns the same way. (So I do have LSD)
2. One wheel up. Car in neutral. The wheel spins without any bit of resistance (wtf)
3. One wheel up(on floor jack with wheels). Car in first gear. At 1000 RPM the wheel spins freely.(WTF?!) I dont want to rev it higher since I dont want it to lock and launch it in the living room.

So basically I guess my plates are beyond worn. Where can I get clutch plates? Is it dealer only?

EDIT

So I have been doing some reading on these LSDs. I guess it makes sensee why 1 and 2 came out the way they did. Without much torque they don't lock. Come to think of it my LSD only slips initially then it stops. I guess new shims would help.

Also I think it slips more in cold weather than in warm weather. Is that possible? Why?

Is there any way to test the clutch? I will take it out to install new shims, but I would like to know beforehand if I need new plates too, so I can order them in advance.

Thanks guys :)

No, your clutchpack is dead. You need to replace them.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I'm pretty sure they lock up with more torque. I just put a used diff into my Mk2 and both outputs turn together, but are very easy to stop one and turn the other. I did a quick wheel spin on a wet street in 1st gear and both tires were spinning, and the rear of the car drifted to one side, so it seems to be working, although it might be quick weak, and with the power of a Mk3, might not have enough grip left.

daught

Oct 5, 2007
Oakville
I just did a bunch of burnouts and it locks very well. The stripes start at the same point. When I intially tested this on the side of the road one wheel was on gravel. Considering it was quite could tonight it is possible both my wheels were actually spinning. Also when I said there was no resistance... well there is a bit. When I spin the wheel by hand hard it spins for another 180. I guess I was expecting much more.

I guess a good ideea when starting the car in snow is to pull the handbrake a bit to get torque in the diff so it locks.

Anyways thanks for the help.

zurud

Apr 10, 2005
Evansville, IN
Drain your diff oil. Look for metal shaving in the fluid and plugs. In my car with 250k miles on it, the clutch pack look new. If you can do burnout with both wheels, I don't think your lsd is dead. What are you wishing with good lsd?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Fluid can have a pretty large effect, get some proper lsd fluid for it and swap it out. It could be the reason you are having different results in different weather.