Ls6

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
This is the section "Other Engine Tech", so does my LS6 count? Anyhow, pretty sure on going with the TPIS ZL-11X cam. The "largest" cam TPIS sells that will work without different internals or fly-cut pistons. The specs are as follows:

Duration - 220 Intake / 224 Exhaust (Obviously measured the correct way, at 0.050" lift.)
Lift - 0.557" Intake / 0.558" Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle - 112

faTTZo

Hey
Mar 7, 2006
Macon, GA
A great resource for info on LSx swaps is

http://www.ls1tech.com...

Online I've seen an LT1 swap and a Small Block Chevy with a homemade twin-turbo kit so there is no doubt it will fit! I haven't seen a LSX swap yet, but let me know if you know of one for sure. I have a ton of links to other swap places as well.

I totalled my last car, a 00 Z28 M6 Vert, in January. Last week I bought a super clean 88 NA Targa with only 65k miles specifically to drop the LS1/T56 into.

I love Supra body/chassis/interior and love the LS1. They need to be together! I beat the crap out of my Z28 all day every day up to 102k miles before I crashed it, without ever breaking down. Must have put 5 sets of 275s on the back in the last 40K miles. It handled like a dumptruck and pieces of the interior fell off from time to time, but that drivetrain is just baddass.

A year without car payments or full coverage insurance and I should be set to do my swap. Hopefully you will have done yours and can tell me what to look out for :icon_bigg

BTW I don't know dick about cams. My brother is the LS1 guy, on his second baddass LS1 (02 Z28 M6, in Sunset Orange with all kinds of mods). Both times he has done a cam in his cars he changed out the valvesprings and pushrods then raised the rev limit. More power plus more RPM really made a difference on the track. He also has my last Supra, a modded 89T...

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
That really does not pose a problem IJ, as that can easily be fixed. I do not own a welder so I have someone else, the guy who sold me the engine help me as far as welding goes. He can cut and weld the tunnel up need be. Being that I am not using any of the original interior pretty much, things can be changed however they need to be.

faTTZo

Hey
Mar 7, 2006
Macon, GA
IJ. said:
Syst: Cool! :)

If using the stock seats you'd have to move em and this stopped my 56 plans!

I just posted it in case Fat thinks it'll be a drop in job.

I'm worried about that IJ thanks much for your input. I've only eyeballed the differences so far, as well as heard of one other person who mentioned the same problem with a MKIV Supra.

A buddy can fab anything I can't handle, and I am willing to change the seats especially since the stock seats weigh so much. Still, I didn't even think of that as something I might be required to do.

I am committed to the swap as I love the LSx/T56 and want to do it even though I expect trouble in some areas. Any insight you have is much appreciated. How far do you think I will need to move the seats? Anything else seem tough when you considered the swap?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Fatz: From memory (which isn't the best these days) the T56 was +30mm to the tunnel!

May not seem much but by the time you allow for clearence it meant it was going to be a butcher job if I wanted to keep stock seats (which I do as they're so comfortable)

Aftermarket slimmer seats no probs at all!

The front of the trans tunnel may also need to be massaged but after I spotted the rear issue I called it quits and went for a TKO instead!

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I bought my LS6 shortblock for 2K. It came with the oil pan and fully assembled. I got my 5.3/4.8 heads for $150 + shipping. Got the intake manifold, PCM, injectors and fuel rail, and throttle body as part of a trade for my 7M and blown R154.