LS1 Supra Swap

Shatonapples

Jul 1, 2007
Austin, TX
A month and a half is far too long to go without updating!

I got the MR-2 fixed and back on the road.

The supra is currently progressing pretty nicely. I likely have a buyer of sorts for the 7M which will help fund the rest of the project. The transmission adapter stuff came in, and I had to do some serious modification to the input shaft seal on my transmission, as it had severe fitment problems.

I have a source for making engine mounts, so I just have to measure and draw them up in CAD, and someone at the school is going to help me cut them with a waterjet. I'm also going to try to get some EGR block-off plates made for a couple places on the block where the EGR stuff is located.

I may have a source for a cheap flash of my ECM, which would hopefully remove the anti-theft chip-key feature of the 2000 Camaro, would remove the need for an automatic transmission, and some other stuff. Hopefully the computer doesn't get too cranky about the lack of EGR stuff.

I bought a cam for the LS1, it's a 238/240 duration at .5 Lift. Max lift: .608 or something like that. 112 LSA. Should be a pretty nasty cam, but I'm hoping I haven't destroyed any chance of 18+ mpg. I at least am hoping to get the same gas mileage I got from the 7M (about 18-20 the way I drove it).

All in all, it's been interesting so far, and I can finally get started on the tougher parts, like getting all lines attached, getting the motor mounted in, etc.

I'll try to get some pics up soon.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Shatonapples;1466514 said:
A month and a half is far too long to go without updating!

I got the MR-2 fixed and back on the road.

The supra is currently progressing pretty nicely. I likely have a buyer of sorts for the 7M which will help fund the rest of the project. The transmission adapter stuff came in, and I had to do some serious modification to the input shaft seal on my transmission, as it had severe fitment problems.

I have a source for making engine mounts, so I just have to measure and draw them up in CAD, and someone at the school is going to help me cut them with a waterjet. I'm also going to try to get some EGR block-off plates made for a couple places on the block where the EGR stuff is located.

I may have a source for a cheap flash of my ECM, which would hopefully remove the anti-theft chip-key feature of the 2000 Camaro, would remove the need for an automatic transmission, and some other stuff. Hopefully the computer doesn't get too cranky about the lack of EGR stuff.

I bought a cam for the LS1, it's a 238/240 duration at .5 Lift. Max lift: .608 or something like that. 112 LSA. Should be a pretty nasty cam, but I'm hoping I haven't destroyed any chance of 18+ mpg. I at least am hoping to get the same gas mileage I got from the 7M (about 18-20 the way I drove it).

All in all, it's been interesting so far, and I can finally get started on the tougher parts, like getting all lines attached, getting the motor mounted in, etc.

I'll try to get some pics up soon.

I think you mean 238/240 at 0.050" lift... Anyhow, where and how much are you getting your PCM flashed? I know a couple places online will do it for $100.00 you get it cheaper than that? Also, if you are going to flash your PCM don't forget to have the tach signal changed to a 12v square wave with a 50% increase in frequency so your stock tach will work.

If I am remembering correctly, you are using an R154 transmission? I'd get as tall of gearing as you can in the differential as 1st gear will be pretty useless traction-wise. Not to mention you want to keep your MPGs reasonable and only have the 5spd. Let me know if you change your mind and want to go with the Tremec T56. That is what I currently have in mine.

Also, what headers are you using?