Lowering the MkIII, but keeping stock feel

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
I love that smooth ride, stock spring rate and height then with the push of a button it firms right up. I run ST sway bars so even on the normal setting its flat as a board in a corner. Boats tip, so if your lowered and still tipping try a sway bar. lowering a street car does not mean your gonna be able to haul around corners, tire tread, and sway bars do a far better job on the street especially through dips, and into driveways. Hey its all just preference, but Id put money that a lowered car with nothing but springs and stiff shocks will not out perform a stock height, properly tired, sway bared car on or off the the track.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
If you want bouncy, get a buick.
Other wise, TIEN coilovers, stiff as hell and feel so good. they dont bounce, but when you say bouncy with the D2s what do u mean bouncy? like SUV bouncy or rice out civic bouncy on a gravel road?

89MkIII

targa'd tank
Mar 30, 2005
WI
D34DC311 said:
If you want bouncy, get a buick.
Other wise, TIEN coilovers, stiff as hell and feel so good. they dont bounce, but when you say bouncy with the D2s what do u mean bouncy? like SUV bouncy or rice out civic bouncy on a gravel road?

The bounce comes at high speed, where you are jarred around in your seat and actually feel like you are loosing control. There is a lot of dampening adjustments that can be made, but nothing seems to help w/ opening it up on less than perfect roads/highways. city speeds are fine, not to stiff or bouncy.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
^^ wow that sucks, I've never had that with the stock or the TIENs.
thats weird.
have you had the car aligned since you put on the D2s? After I put on the TIENs it felt a little weird, then after the alignment it was great better than stock.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
89MkIII said:
The bounce comes at high speed, where you are jarred around in your seat and actually feel like you are loosing control. There is a lot of dampening adjustments that can be made, but nothing seems to help w/ opening it up on less than perfect roads/highways. city speeds are fine, not to stiff or bouncy.

do you have the preload adjusted correctly?

PimpiNJ253

Supraless
Sep 15, 2006
Kent, Washington
www.myspace.com
my suspensuion is jarring also... could it be because i have my tires at 51 psi? that is the max psi for the tires so i got em at that.

oh and by the way ill have some pics of my 4x4 suspension on my car!! Its stock 4x4 powah!!!

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Dang 51psi aint right, thats the Maximum Air Pressure of each tire IF the tire were to have the Maximum Weight on it. For instance if you added together the Maximum Weight all four tires could hold if they had 51 psi you might find that at that air pressure all four tires could hold up 8,000 pounds depending on what your Max Weight per Tire is. So if your car only weighs in the neighborhood of 3500 lbs you have way too much air in them. I made myself a cool Excel Spread Sheet that you enter each of your cars corner weights into, add you Max air per tire and it will give you the proper air setting. If in doubt about air pressure for any vehicle always go by what it says in the owners manual.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
PimpiNJ253 said:
my suspensuion is jarring also... could it be because i have my tires at 51 psi? that is the max psi for the tires so i got em at that.

oh and by the way ill have some pics of my 4x4 suspension on my car!! Its stock 4x4 powah!!!

yea thats hella lot, I run from 36-40psi max on mine.

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
No need to put anything over 32psi in your tyres unless you have a car full of people all the time. I would think with 51psi in your tyres your contact patch will be tiny and you will wear out the center tred on your tyres very quickly.

Johnnieee

Nov 13, 2006
Carleton Place
This thread has digressed a bit into tire pressure effect on ride harshness. Sure higher tire pressure will add sharper steering response, turn in etc, but at the expense of ride harshness. Going to 17" or 18" wheels with 40 or 35 profile tires makes the situation even more marked. Better handling, but it can detract ride quality.

Looking back a ton of replies it seemed that the 'bouncy' issue was misunderstood, perhaps mistaken for an old mushy Cadillac ride. What was meant by the 'bouncy' expression was that the D2's were so stiff at the front, there was no compliance at higher speeds, giving the feeling that the car was bouncing on the tire sidewalls only, with no shock or spring compression. D2's are set for more for track use, rather than street use, they are very firm. In my view too firm for most peoples liking.

Out of my own interest I've weighed the D2'S, complete shock and spring weighed 9.5lbs. I also weighed my Eibach Pros with Tokico shocks, they came out at 15.5lbs !! 60.4lbs for all four as against 38lbs for D2's. That translates into a considerable unsprung weight saving, and thus better handling response when coupled with lightweight wheels etc. Go a little further and install the RK suspension bushing kit, and all I can say is wow !!!! Is this the same old MKIII......

Once I get the softer D2 springs I ordered I'll post my findings.

Ciao for now

John

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Okay I recently lowered my MKIII with JDM JZA70 Springs and KYB GR-2's...the ride height was lowered by about 1.3-1.5 inches...it is pretty close to the Eibach's lowering amount...

The ride is way stiffer, it really feels a lot better, not overly harsh. I highly recommend them, my Supra feels like a totally different car.

Here are some before and afters:
p437050_1.jpg

p437050_2.jpg

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i liked my eibock and bilstein setup they were great if lowered the car more it get stiffer if jack it up it get less bunchy and and less stuff

but now i got better things now