lowering engine Temp, coolant question.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
For my two cents. I was hella stressed after my car started to boil over. I checked HG. checked studs to see if the were torqued well. Turns out after a dozen post's and alot of denial it was in fact ........ A torn seal on my rad cap from the screw in stud for the coolant over flow bottle. Fixed that and went on a 500 mile drive over two montain passes with air temps of 106 to 119 with my temp guage reading 180 ..... Thanks Jdub for your time on that one

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Oh yeah I forgot this. I took the stock A/C fans and rewired them to come on from in the car with a switch. Now If I am sitting in traffic or am driving hard I can turn them on and get extra airflow. Only droped 10 degrees at a stand still from were it usually sits but that is good enough for me

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Zumtizzle;1409970 said:
VERY INTERESTING JOHN!

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/zerex/antifreeze/105

Would you go with this or G05? Any Opinions?

I bought 2 Gallons of G05 for the supra, and need to go a change on my lexus.

G05 is superior IMO ;)
If you notice, that new "red" coolant only comes in a 50/50 premix for now.

mattsplat72;1409971 said:
For my two cents. I was hella stressed after my car started to boil over. I checked HG. checked studs to see if the were torqued well. Turns out after a dozen post's and alot of denial it was in fact ........ A torn seal on my rad cap from the screw in stud for the coolant over flow bottle. Fixed that and went on a 500 mile drive over two montain passes with air temps of 106 to 119 with my temp guage reading 180 ..... Thanks Jdub for your time on that one

I've got to where I tell a guy to do the block test right off the bat...not that expensive. That way one can focus on solving the real issue if it's positive or negative. It's a great defense against the "BHG Indians" that swarm in on a thread like this.

And, you're welcome Matt :)

fonz87;1409972 said:
that was my other question. water. tap or distilled. i was planning on mixing it with distilled.

You can flush with the hose...what remains is minor. Mix coolant with distilled.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
jdub;1409968 said:
Once you stop pissing out coolant, Zerex G05 Zum mentioned is excellent, or Toyota Red. Valvoline (Zerex) makes a version of the red now as well...phosphate HOAT chemistry just like Toyota. Any of the above will require a very through flush of the system to change from green.

Mario - Watch it carefully. It can slime a system in short order if the chemistry's conflict.

Yea Right now its fine as its mainly water, and I pop the cap on my system every hundred or so miles. As when the winter comes I'll prolly check it damn near every drive, I don't want to have to flush this system or change out stuff cause of a $8 bottle of water wetter.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I run toyota red(50/50 distilled) with a stock cooling system in the Arizona heat and have no over heating issues. I get up to operating temp quickly(before I leave my neighborhood and get on a main road usually). I can sit in traffic for hours and yet to over heat.

I had the same 'boiling over' when I had bhg, it would suck to buy that shinny new aluminum radiator and then still have bhg...

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Fonz - Also check the hose in the reservoir...if it has any tears, splits, etc it will pull air back in vs coolant when the engine cools down.

I would test the T-stat you have in a pot of water by bringing it to a boil. You'll need a 250 deg thermometer. Note the temp when it opens. If you buy a new one, go with Toyota or a Stant SuperStat (other brands are crap IMO) rated at 190 degs...I would test it per previous. I've bought brand new stats that opened outside the rated temp. Cut the jiggle valve off before you install.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
iwannadie;1409992 said:
I run toyota red(50/50 distilled) with a stock cooling system in the Arizona heat and have no over heating issues. I get up to operating temp quickly(before I leave my neighborhood and get on a main road usually). I can sit in traffic for hours and yet to over heat.

I had the same 'boiling over' when I had bhg, it would suck to buy that shinny new aluminum radiator and then still have bhg...

Doesn't Toyota red say "do not mix" on the bottle...

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
gaboonviper85;1410108 said:
Doesn't Toyota red say "do not mix" on the bottle...

Depends on which one you get...the premix should have no water added. I always (used to anyway) got the 100% bottle.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
ma71supraturbo;1410424 said:
Just to state the obvious -- don't fill the reservoir over the "fill" line. If you are, it would be normal for a perfectly operating cooling system to continually puke out the excess coolant...

Only till it finds it's "level" ;)
(I was lazy this is how I'd fill mine and let it puke for 2>3 cycles then that was my "fill when cold" line)

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
iwannadie;1409992 said:

+1 i have had 2 supra's and never overheated driving the shit out of them in 110 degree weather i had overflow from my reservoir tank once in my N/A turned out that my Radiator cap was no good replaced it 5min later and problem was gone.

Though everytime i see coolant on the ground i freak out and go straight for a BHG to be the problem i figure this way it cant be any worse lol.

AZ FTW

slightly_red_MA70

Holy S*** I own a Racecar
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
I run just straight water with 2 12" mishimoto electric fans with the stock radiator and it runs cooler than stock...not much but i noticed it on the temp guage

laconic

Apr 16, 2008
alabama
Bri7man;1410698 said:
Is distilled the same water that comes out of the Culligan water spout filter thing in the kitchen?

no, that would be filtered water. distilled water is...distilled. in simple terms it is you boil water, then let the steam condense back to water which removes impurities.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
Zumtizzle;1409956 said:
God Damnit, Fonz.

When you were aiming your timing light at the cam gears and telling us they were 180 off we gave you an explanation.

When we're telling you to do a Leak Down Test. You're telling us you don't have BHG.

Well Dumbass, It can be a number of things; from a radiator cap to a blown head gasket.

No matter how hard it may be to explain something to someone, that is never necessary