Lower Ball Joints: Installation, prices, where to buy?

CampbellsChunkySoupra

best be eating your soup!
Jan 28, 2007
Norwalk, IA
www.dragsource.net
To make a long story short, my lower ball joint on the driver side front got the threads stripped on them and i need a new one. i was searching and found out that i got lucky because the upper ball joints are not replaceable and you must buy a complete upper a-arm. that being said, i need a new lower ball joint. i couldnt quite find the process to replace them.

-How do i remove a lower ball joint?
-How do i install a new lower ball joint?
-How much do new lower ball joints typically cost?
-Can i get my new lower ball joint from the local parts store?

-Will a non-ABS hub/steering knuckle/studs/upper A-arm be fine in an ABS car if the ABS isnt working in the first place?

thanks guys.

-Tyler

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
1. Search the online manual, its in there.
2. Same as 1.
3. Depends on where you get them, nice MOOG ones at rockauto.com for $45.
4. Local parts store has them, usually not in stock though. I was priced $120 for the good sealed units.
4. I don't see why not, the ABS will not be functional, but as you said before it dosn't work anyway in your vehicle.

CampbellsChunkySoupra

Jan 28, 2007
Norwalk, IA
www.dragsource.net
so anyways... how much are ball joints going to run me give or take? and since i dont have time to wait for a TSRM to ship to my door, can someone give me a general idea of how to go about replacing the lower ball joint?

-

what do i do if i can not remove the outer tie rod from the steering knuckle? that will be a problem when i go to install my new steering knuckle/hub assembly. and yes, ive beaten the hell out of it with a dead-blow mallet.

CampbellsChunkySoupra

Jan 28, 2007
Norwalk, IA
www.dragsource.net
well. turbofreak got offline. im looking to send money via paypal ASAP tomorrow morning if possible to have it shipped out by tomorrow. ill need it very soon. so whoever can get it shipped out by tomorrow, let me know.

Ckanderson: what would shipping be like for that? let me know asap please.

-Tyler

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
K I PMed ya back. Not really trying to make much money off of this, just trying to help ya out. $30 Shipped and I'll ship it today.