Low oil pressure?

wdb

Jul 6, 2009
Vancouver, WA
I just bought an 86.5 supra and I was wondering if my oil pressure was too low. I have the stock oil pressure gauge and the other day the needle was just below the 2 mark at idle and when I would rev it a bit probably to about 3k rpms it would climb up to the 3 mark. This evening before I turned it off it was getting down to the 1 mark at idle.

Another thing, my gauge goes from 1 to 8. Does that mean 1 psi to 8 psi? What is the normal level? I'm actually pretty worried about it, it has fairly low miles and runs pretty good but has a slight lifter noise that seems to clear up after the engine warms up. Any help is really appreciated.

wdb

Jul 6, 2009
Vancouver, WA
Yeah, I also just looked at the gauge and the measurement is in kg/cm squared. So the stock gauges are that bad huh? Well then fu@k me runnin'! Any other thoughts?

I just checked the online owners manual and it says that it's supposed to be at .3 or higher kg/cm at idle so I guess it's fine. but when I rev it to 3000 rpm it's at about 2.2 kg/cm and it says 2.5 to 5 is normal. I guess I just started $hitting my pants when I saw that it was down to 1 last night and it seems to have been running worse than when I bought it. Noisier with more of a lifter noise too, maybe I'm just trippin though. I figured it would've been just my luck, I get a car that I really like and immediately it goes to hell.

Last edited:

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
the oil gauge is my only real bitch, mine responds quick, but when it comes to 7M and oil pressure I want to know now! the gauges tend to lag, my 92 is quick but not enough for me. older ones are sometimes worse.

I like warning if pressure is lost. *cant always eye the gauge lol*

also, remember to always overfill 1qt on oil change and maintain that. its a cheap but nice way to not starve out the motor.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Which USA cars had kg/cm stock OP gauges?

I've never been a fan of that 1 qt overfill stuff, it's just a pathetic band-aid for people too inept to check their oil on a regular basis.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
i dont think any USA cars got kg/cm gauges, my stock one responds pretty quick once its running. Not as fast as aftermarket but it doesnt seem all that bad.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
JDMMA70;1373254 said:
i dont think any USA cars got kg/cm gauges, my stock one responds pretty quick once its running. Not as fast as aftermarket but it doesnt seem all that bad.
So... where did this car's cluster come from? LOL

My stock oil pressure gauge is slow as molasses, and it might be accurate but it's so hard to tell because the scale is all over the map.

Mk3runner - You can post all the links you like, I'll never recommend it. ;)

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
mkIIIman089;1373259 said:

My stock oil pressure gauge is slow as molasses, and it might be accurate but it's so hard to tell because the scale is all over the map.

to each his own lol.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
mkIIIman089;1373242 said:
Which USA cars had kg/cm stock OP gauges?

I've never been a fan of that 1 qt overfill stuff, it's just a pathetic band-aid for people too inept to check their oil on a regular basis.

Or for people that drive their cars hard enough to uncover the pickup under high G loads when it's at the stock fill level due to the totally useless pan/baffle design used in the 7M.... :nono:

Guess that makes me inept in some way, but hey I haven't lost an engine since I've been doing it.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
mkIIIman089;1373259 said:

My guess would be Canada (would have a km/h speedo) or the Europe (UK has a mph speedo dunno if the oil pressure gauge is in kg/cm or not) or maybe it was a patch job (took the gauge from a Canadian cluster and put it in)?

And i run a 1qt over never hurts to have extra piece of mind.

DBN

FML
Jan 22, 2009
Fairfield, Ca
1 Quart over FTW. No use in seeing your motor die from something as stupid as "I cornered to hard and my engine went kaboom, wtf?".

wdb

Jul 6, 2009
Vancouver, WA
JDMMA70;1373254 said:

I know, what a strange deal but I live right in the good ol' US of mo friggin' A! Maybe my supra wasn't an original US car. So anyone have a stock oil gauge that isn't kg/cm? I'm sure that most aren't but I'm just curious.