Loud Exhaust

Marcenator

Marc T.
Apr 29, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
I need help to figure out what to do about my loud exhaust. I currently have a full custom 3" system with divorced downpipe, a magnaflow 4x9x14" (p/n 14319) muffler in the middle acting as a resonator and a magnaflow 5x8x14" (p/n 14221) muffler at the end of the pipe. The car is a 89 turbo with stock turbo.

The problem I am having is that the resonance inside the car is very bad when im on the gas, especially when cruising around the 2000 rpm mark. I have read a lot of the posts here about loud exhaust already, so that is why I put the second muffler in the middle as a resonator. Unfortunatley it didnt help.

Has anyone had a similar experience and what do you suggest, without ripping off the whole system and starting from scratch, which may be an option if I can get this fixed quickly lol.

After searching locally for many different options, it became clear that I don't have a lot of different products to choose from. Can you suggest a specific product or solution to solve this reverberation/resonance problem. I originally had a flowmaster 40 series on it to begin with and it has only improved slightly with the magnaflows.

Thanks for your input.

Marc

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
DDP doesn't matter because the wastegate only opens under full boost. Just about everyone has low rpm resonance with aftermarket catbacks.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
If i were you id add a second resonator on it.I really think you shouldve gotten a longer resonator than 14". I have a 28"magnaflow resonator on my car and it made it much more quiet than with the stock resonator that came with it (apexi n1). Just add in a longer resonator like the 28"one.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
one thing about the ddp that i like and don't like at the same time is that you do get some exhaust leaking out of the dump tube all the time. i think it sounds cool, but at times i'd rather not have the exhaust leak sound. i'm surprised i've never seen anyone bring this up before.

Kylar27

Supra Lover
Oct 2, 2005
Connecticut
RedEj8 said:
If i were you id add a second resonator on it.I really think you shouldve gotten a longer resonator than 14". I have a 28"magnaflow resonator on my car and it made it much more quiet than with the stock resonator that came with it (apexi n1). Just add in a longer resonator like the 28"one.

Holy crap thats a huge resonator...lol I would hope it would make it quieter ;)