LOTS of questions about 7m-gte swap, parts, etc...

LexingtonBlue

May 30, 2005
Tacoma
Starting the painfully slow process of restoring my '88 turbo. It'll be my first time taking apart everything, so I have many many questions that I'd like to ask in one post just for convenience. Hope it's ok with you guys and gals. As with many problems/issues, you guys need the skinny, so here's a quick sum:

-current engine dead (bgh, knocks, leaks, very high mileage, etc...) only runs at 10mph, litteraly.

-just bought a '92 turbo engine that has been rebuilt from block to head, to factory specs. (cheap). Seller discarded his install project, so engine has 0 miles as of rebuilt.
-does not come with harness, cps, and many other stuff. But does come with turbo (phew).

My questions:

-which wiring harness would I need ('88 harness, or '92 harness?)? I think the harnesses has a slight difference so I don't know which one I should look for.

-It'll be an auto. So, '88 ECU or '92 ECU. Does it even matter which year for automatic tranny ECU's?

-Head and block we're put together. However, I want to put a MHG, so would I need to re-lap (re-machine) the head when I take it out to replace the HG? (remember engine hasn't been dropped, so 0 miles)

-Would like to get turbo trimmed, so where would be best to get it trimmed, price range and time range? (I live in Sea-Tac area, WA).

Engine install/uninstall (am searching in the write-up's section, but would like to hear any other tips):

-Would I need to take tranny out when pulling my dead engine out? Can't tranny be supported, if yes, what to use for support?

-Last but not least, can't I do this by myself?

Throw at me whatever you got. I know I'll feel proud if I can complete this project (with your helps). Thanks in advance. :naughty:

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I'd use the '88 harness, all '88 sensors, and the '88 ECU

Simply because you will have less headaches, as that is the car you have.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
LexingtonBlue said:
-which wiring harness would I need ('88 harness, or '92 harness?)? I think the harnesses has a slight difference so I don't know which one I should look for.

-It'll be an auto. So, '88 ECU or '92 ECU. Does it even matter which year for automatic tranny ECU's?

it's best to match wiring harness year to the body year. there were several changes to the harnesses and plugs, so keep it simple and reuse your '88 harness. if you will be using the '92 engine, you'll need to swap a few sensors over as the plugs changed several times.....or you could cut the plugs off the '92 harness and put them on your '88.

LexingtonBlue said:
-Head and block we're put together. However, I want to put a MHG, so would I need to re-lap (re-machine) the head when I take it out to replace the HG? (remember engine hasn't been dropped, so 0 miles)

provided the RA of the block/head are MHG friendly, there's no reason to re-lap. just be sure to clean them up well, though i don't there will be much residue if the engine hasn't been heat cycled yet.

LexingtonBlue said:
-Would like to get turbo trimmed, so where would be best to get it trimmed, price range and time range? (I live in Sea-Tac area, WA).

trimmed? i'll assume you mean upgraded. not worth it due to small shaft and weak bearings....

LexingtonBlue said:
Engine install/uninstall (am searching in the write-up's section, but would like to hear any other tips):

-Would I need to take tranny out when pulling my dead engine out? Can't tranny be supported, if yes, what to use for support?

-Last but not least, can't I do this by myself?

it's always easier to yank the engine + trans. see mkiiitech for a step by step run down of engine removal.

yes, you can do this yourself but ALWAYS have at least 1 other person there to assist you....if nothing else, they will be able to call 911 should you drop the engine or car on yourself.

LexingtonBlue

May 30, 2005
Tacoma
Yes, I am not into racing (not as often) but still want more power when I "feel like it". My goals for HP would be 400 BHP, max. At least 300 bhp!