loosing oil out of here. help please

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
so under the crank and above the oil pan. its like im missing something in there. anyhelp would be great!

p1838911_1.jpg

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I think that would be the front main seal. You would have to take off the crank pulley to replace it. There are write ups around about changing it. It's not too hard of a job.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
That hole is supposed to be there to allow the oil out in the case of a leak (instead of filling the timing case, destroying the timing belt)

Could be front main seal(most likely) or oil pump drive seal. Not likely to be cam seals, but stranger things have happened.

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
so just got done talking to my automotive instructor at my college, and he says he thinks it could be the oil pump seal.
i just think its wierd that it never leaked oil, until i did my head gasket.
has anyone done this seal before? and should i also change the oil pump?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Oil pump is in the crank case under the pan.

The oil pump driveshaft is spun by the timing belt and there is a seal for that. Looks like a main/cam seal.

Timing belt has to come off for that as well.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
mcammarn;1838968 said:
so just got done talking to my automotive instructor at my college, and he says he thinks it could be the oil pump seal.
i just think its wierd that it never leaked oil, until i did my head gasket.
has anyone done this seal before? and should i also change the oil pump?

Did you apply RTV to the two spots at the front of the block before you put the head gasket down?

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
correction, instructor was saying the crankshaft seal. so i went ahead and ordered, hopefully itll be here tommorrow

CyFi6;1838979 said:
Did you apply RTV to the two spots at the front of the block before you put the head gasket down?
didnt use any rtv, not sure where your talking about with the "2spots".
really not a big fan of rtv also.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Use Toyota fipg or 3m 3bond. Stuff is awesome.

Supposed to put fipg on 2 spots where the rear ting cover meets the block when putting hg down.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
TSRM is a big fan of RTV. They refer to it as seal packing. But you can use the equivalent... RTV. Lay it down on those two spots on both cams.

EM_052.gif

Oops, wrong two spots. The guys were talking about these spots.

EM_055.gif

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Could you point out these to spots in a photo or something?

I keep reading this as well and don't remember doing this my self when I did my head gasket 2years ago.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
You may also need to use a sharp scraper or a sticker remover to shave down the timing case gasket if it's sticking up as this WILL cause a leak if left..

Personal preference re: RTV is all well and good if you have a clue, if not follow what the TRSM is telling you..

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Yep. That exact thing just happend to me the other day when I tried to replace my headgasket for the first time. I didn't follow that step 1 (a) either. Now I have to tear it all apart.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
So the spots that need sealent is betwen the block and lower timing cover?

Or will actually the sealent be in between the head gasket and block.

Sorry just wanting to make sure I do it right before I put my head back on.

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
how long do i need to wait after i put rtv on those 2 spots? i put it on, reassembled everything, and then started. still getting oil out that hole. do i need to wait for a day or so until the rtv is cured? and then try to start?