Loosing clutch fluid

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
It seems once a month or so, very slowly, I find my clutch to unexpectedly engage very close to the floorboard and that my fluid reservoir is almost depleted. Is there anyway to test either slave or master or independent hoses? No fluid trail is evident.

Also, I find I can push my clutch fork in until it compresses the slave piston to the body, this doesn't seem right, wouldn't my slave have at least enough pressure to resist my slight force? Shouldn't there be zero play with the fork in a perfect system?

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
One common way to know if it is your clutch master is to pull back the carpet in the drives side floor where the clutch petal is located and check to see if there is any fluid behind the carpet. I had a similar problem and found fluid behind the carpet, so I just replaced both the clutch master and slave cylinder and problem fixed.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
leftynridge;1615161 said:
One common way to know if it is your clutch master is to pull back the carpet in the drives side floor where the clutch petal is located and check to see if there is any fluid behind the carpet. I had a similar problem and found fluid behind the carpet, so I just replaced both the clutch master and slave cylinder and problem fixed.

Good call on replacing them both. Usually they are both in pretty bad shape, but only one will actually pop. Of course, a couple weeks after you replace that one, the other one goes, and you have to go through the whole bleeding procedure again.

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
Yeah the time that I probably saved by replacing them both was worth spending the extra money to me. Plus my friend has a lift so it made changing the slave much easier. And of course time is money.