Looonie's "Ever so slow, don't expect many updates" build

Looonie

Looonie
Aug 22, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.boost.org.nz
Well I finally decided I should photograph and document my gradual "build"... I don't really consider it a proper build as due to finances I'm not able to do half the things I'd like to, or in the order I'd like to... but enough of me making excuses :)

This is how the car has been for the past 12 months pretty much... with me skidding it as much as I could afford to do... until about 3 months ago when I broke a selector fork in the gearbox again (4th time) and had to drive home with only 4th gear... at this time I had a buyer for my crappy old 1G-GTE so I decided to pull the car off the road, sell off some crap and hopefully get it all sorted out properly...

How car was shortly after I first got it, with the addition of 18s and tints...

DSC01841.JPG

After manual conversion, stripping, lowering, front brake upgrade, exhaust, boost controller, various different wheels, drivers seat upgrade etc etc...

Soarer.jpg

How it sat for a few months once we'd removed the engine...

DSCF0017.JPG

And how it presently sits now... what I consider effectively the starting point of my project...

Starting%20point%201.jpg

Starting%20point%202.jpg

Starting%20point%203.jpg

Starting%20point%204.jpg

Starting%20point%205.jpg

Starting%20point%206.jpg

Starting%20point%207.jpg

And my parts car sitting in the garage...
Starting%20point%208.jpg

Plans for it are 1JZ-GTE VVti single turbo with MKIV NA remote shifter W58 gearbox, finish properly lipping and then flare front and rear guards, coilovers, straight 3.5" exhaust, pair of fixed back buckets, steering lock spacers and whiteline front swaybar, 5 point harnesses, respray engine bay and interior in gloss white.

Vehicle already has 300mm JZA70 front rotors, whiteline rear swaybar, locked diff, rear subframe pineapples...

Wheels to be run are going to be Work Rezax II in 17x8 +32 and 17x9 +35 with 25mm or 30mm bolt on spacers all round. The photos show the rear currently with the 25mm bolt on spacers and the 17x8s, the 9s sit out a lot nicer...

Oh yeah, and I've got black dash and door trims to go in... should contrast nicely with the white interior... and if/when I get a cage I'll paint that gloss black also...

Its probably going to take a while, but I hope to have it back on the road in about 6 months... with the only things left to be bodykit and paint... but seat time is more important than that and I'm itching to get back into it!

Well... here goes :)

Looonie

Looonie
Aug 22, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.boost.org.nz
It was indeed, boost kitted to 14psi, exhaust and no filter... dyno'd at 157rwkw and ran perfectly day in day out and still does for the new owner...

Unfortunately was just a little too gutless to really do what I want... hence the upgrade to the big boy engine :)

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
kwnate said:
god damn those are huge pics. They fucking owned my cable internet...
Nice car.

LOL that's why I asked if it had a 1GGTE in it... I only got like the first 1/3rd of the engine pic on the hoist... then it gave up the ghost. haha

Looonie

Looonie
Aug 22, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.boost.org.nz
IJ. said:
Loonie: Quick there's some big ugly chick stealing your IC!!! ;)
(3rd pic)

I know, its the same fat ass ugly fucking hoe that was posing on top of my Supra in my other pics thread :p

I've resized the intercooler theifing/1g on hoist picture to a slightly more reasonable size...

Geez, I thought you guys all had fast internet over there... I'm only on a 2Mb DSL connection :D

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Yeah, I don't know what you guys call it, but the metal structure of the car, (unibody), The Soarer's looks almost identical to the Supra's (under the fenders and bumper)

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
Good luck with the build, I wanna get a Soarer like that so bad. Maybe when I have some money and I'm not spending it all on the Supra (if that'll ever happen) I'll bring over a 3.0GT Soarer to use as my daily driver :)

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Awesome to see a soarer build. I really like the style of the soarer, it seems to beable to look normal saloon-like, but in your second pic, you've transformed it with such ginger mods and voila! Aggressive, fast, sleek. i especially love the rear half of it.
Btw, nice build up thread!:biglaugh:
eric

Looonie

Looonie
Aug 22, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.boost.org.nz
Tick tock... on with the clock...

So anyways, phase 1... merciless beating of the guards with a hammer... (still needs flaring)... mounted whiteline front swaybar and steering lock spacers... quite nice steering lock now ;) Also took the 25mm bolt on spacers off the rear and put the 30mm bolts on all round along with the 17x8/9" Works Rezax wheels I will be running... I think it has quite nice track on it now :D

Just gotta get that flaring done and then when I get the coilovers I can tuck the tread in the guard with some camber... probably about 3deg front and rear with some added caster now that I'm putting power steering back into the car...

Gave it a bit of a wash, have really got to get some jif (or ideally a respray) however as it still looks grubby as hell...

Finally got the factory side skirt off my parts car and trial fitted it... looks absolutely awesome with skirts, but still stuipidly high off the ground... I suppose thats a good thing though as I won't be losing my bodykit if I make off track excursions...

So heres how she sits at present... not really much of a change from before but I've done something so *shrug*

Also looking a lot closer to having and engine and box sorted... just have to decide which combo I want to go with...

Phase1-1.jpg

Phase1-2.jpg

Phase1-3.jpg

Phase1-4.jpg

Phase1-5.jpg

Phase1-6.jpg

Phase1-7.jpg

Phase1-8.jpg

Phase1-9.jpg

PS: Eric, may I ask your height? :)