Loooking for advice on finishing cement

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
When do I start troweling cement? I was told that you have to wait untill the water is done surfacing. then wait untill the consistancy is somewhat thick, or until it doesn't stick to your finger, can't anyone help me with this???
:3d_frown:

Thanks!!:1zhelp:

Last edited:

hhsuperwhite90

Mar 10, 2008
South Carolina
After you've poured and screeded wait until the water has sunk below the surface.

Trowel over the area with a thin metal trowel(not a mag trowel) to smooth it, kneel on a piece of plywood so as not to leave prints.

If you're looking for a broom finish pull your broom across and you're done. If you're looking for a more smooth finish repeat above until you like it, don't be afraid to mist it with a little water if it's taking off too fast.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
hhsuperwhite90;1547397 said:
After you've poured and screeded wait until the water has sunk below the surface.

Trowel over the area with a thin metal trowel(not a mag trowel) to smooth it, kneel on a piece of plywood so as not to leave prints.

If you're looking for a broom finish pull your broom across and you're done. If you're looking for a more smooth finish repeat above until you like it, don't be afraid to mist it with a little water if it's taking off too fast.
I was told if it doesn't stick to yur finger then it's ready,...True?

B.T.W.....THANK YOU!!

Wade T

7m Mk2 terror
Apr 6, 2005
Seattle
What are you pouring exactly? What type of finish do you want, Broomed(like a sidewalk), hard troweled(like a garage) or just a basic mag finish(which won't be seen)?

Used to work construction years ago. As a general rule (depending on climate) always pure stiff. Watery concrete will shrink then crack like crazy and takes forever to finish.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Wade T;1547570 said:
What are you pouring exactly? What type of finish do you want, Broomed(like a sidewalk), hard troweled(like a garage) or just a basic mag finish(which won't be seen)?

Used to work construction years ago. As a general rule (depending on climate) always pure stiff. Watery concrete will shrink then crack like crazy and takes forever to finish.

rock salt finish, is the finish I want. Garage or mag? I guess I not real sure, right now I can see trowel marks on the original, I think garage finish.

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

hhsuperwhite90;1547468 said:
Yeah that's about right. I've never thought of it that way , I just know by the look.

No problem glad to help.

I know it hard to discribe, how should it look? If I were to guess, I would guess that it should look flat and not shinny,I'm I right?

Wade T

7m Mk2 terror
Apr 6, 2005
Seattle
You mean exposed aggregate? That's a tricky thing to do and takes years of experience to get right. The long and short of it is mag the creme up and wait. At some point when the cement starts to setup, spray a mix of brown sugar and water over the top. Then wait some more. Take a low pressure hose nozzle and gently spray the sugar and creme off.

How long you wait is dependent on how many sacks the mix is, outside temps and how fast the concrete is screeded off and mag'd up. All this is might work assuming you've got the forms up to code(size), rebar or mesh installed and the correct amount of fall per foot for drainage.

That's scary stuff for first timer, cause once the concrete sets up that's it.

After years in working with concrete I would call a contractor and have it done right.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
What exactly is it that you are pouring? That fact determines a lot about what mix of concrete you should use. Generally do not use anything less than a 5 bag mix:ie-5 bags of portland cement to a yard of concrete. That equals 2500 psi in strength. The more portland the stronger the concrete, it also makes it easier to work because more cement equals more cream.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Wade T;1548012 said:
You mean exposed aggregate? That's a tricky thing to do and takes years of experience to get right. The long and short of it is mag the creme up and wait. At some point when the cement starts to setup, spray a mix of brown sugar and water over the top. Then wait some more. Take a low pressure hose nozzle and gently spray the sugar and creme off.

How long you wait is dependent on how many sacks the mix is, outside temps and how fast the concrete is screeded off and mag'd up. All this is might work assuming you've got the forms up to code(size), rebar or mesh installed and the correct amount of fall per foot for drainage.

That's scary stuff for first timer, cause once the concrete sets up that's it.

After years in working with concrete I would call a contractor and have it done right.

I'm just doing a small slab. I don't know what aggregate is but, I have pre mixed concrete. My final finish I would like is the rock salt finish. (it looks like miniture craters, I'm sure you know. If I could get a discription of how it should look and or how it should feel that would help me alot. Sorry I wasn't clear on what I'm wanting to do. I'm pretty lost on the brown suger procedure. I think it's time for a picture.

Wade T

7m Mk2 terror
Apr 6, 2005
Seattle
lol Aggregate is rock.. Still never heard of a rock salt finish.

Here's an example of exposed aggregate:
23SimsL.jpg

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Wade T;1548203 said:
lol Aggregate is rock.. Still never heard of a rock salt finish.

Here's an example of exposed aggregate:
23SimsL.jpg

That's a good looking piece of work Wade. I like the expansion joints, the triangle on the corner is a nice way to handle the transition. Must say that I have never heard of a rock salt finish either.

Back to the question, if you are using premix concrete like Sac Crete hi-early from the Home Depot, you still might want to buy a bag of portland cement and add some to the mix. Adding it will add some workability and strength. Most concrete is mixed 1-2-3, one part portland, two parts sand and three parts stone-aggregate, the more portland the more cream to bring to the surface. At least on the east coast, most concrete aggregate is like a #6 quarried stone, for exposed aggregate you have to order the cement w/ pea gravel stone. What comes in the premix is a fairly small pea gravel and when you hose it to expose the stone you have to be careful not to loosen the stone on top.

If you have a pic of what you call "rock salt finish" post it. If you want a step by step let me know and I'd be glad to send you a PM.

-Fred

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
To every one that replied.........THANK YOU very much, I really apreicate it. Picture: for some reason, I couldn't understand how to get pictures posted, Yes I the read the "website features, suggestion" and all that, still, ...I couldn't get it to load up. (topic for another time).
Wade T: No, that's not what I was gonna do. But how ever your work looks really nice!!
My problem: fixed, I hired someone.
Fred: Yeah I could send you a picture, I most diffenitly apricate your generous offer
Supra 90 and IJ:, yeah, This is what's really cool about Supramania, I figured someone must know something
Super white: Thanks you as well!
All my Supra Brothers: Thank you ALLL!!!!