looking in to buying a 1j for my 86.5

suprachris

Nov 22, 2015
fort wayne
i have recently bought back my supra. previously i owned the car for 9 years. sold it for one year. it came up for sale with yet another blown engine. so i did what most smart people do and i bought it back....... now that i am committed, i was wondering what 1j engine i should buy. vvti or no? what should i look for when buying the 1j? i plan on going auto until i can afford the manual swap. car is currently a 7mge 5speed. it is an original 7mgte auto. any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

suprachris

Nov 22, 2015
fort wayne
i ordered a non vvti auto out of a chaser so the listing said. after payment i notice there was no place to hook up the speedometer cable on the auto. has anyone came across this and what what done to make the speedometer work properly. also is the wiring the same as the solaro?

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
suprachris;2064435 said:
i ordered a non vvti auto out of a chaser so the listing said. after payment i notice there was no place to hook up the speedometer cable on the auto. has anyone came across this and what what done to make the speedometer work properly. also is the wiring the same as the solaro?

My swap started with the same donor engine. There should be a place to hook the cable in the passenger side (unless Chaser transmissions are different). Maybe they use an electronic sender? I'm just guessing since I swapped to an R154 immediately.

My speedo cable broke anyway, so I use an app on my phone...

Unfortunately, you started with a difficult wiring swap. Chasers have two harnesses whereas Supras/Soarers have one, so your engine will only come with half of what you need.

I bought a harness from Dr. Tweak. My harness was fine minus missing the horn plug, but other people have mixed reviews. I'm bad at wiring so had no choice.

Chasers use a different ECU plug. If you're good at wiring I assume you can buy a soarer/supra harness, swap the ECU plugs from your Chaser harness, and swap the body harness plugs from your 7M harness.

I don't want to lead you down a wrong path though, so if someone can chime in on wiring that would be great.

suprachris

Nov 22, 2015
fort wayne
any way to know for sure what engine and transmission i actually ordered. i called the company today and he said my engine came out of a supra. mind you i have never mentioned what it was going into. but the listing on ebay said chaser.. so is there a way to figure out what i actually have?

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
ECU plugs have 4 rows on the Chaser. Soarer/supra have 2 rows. Also, you'll likely be missing 2 plugs to the ECU of it's a Chaser engine because those come from the body harness on Chasers.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
f00g00;2064542 said:
My previous 1JZ came from an early chaser and has a 2 row ECU.

Dammit, Toyota...so maybe if the ECU is two rows and you have all the ECU plugs, then it's from a Soarer/Supra?

suprachris

Nov 22, 2015
fort wayne
i have no clue yet. the engine and trans should be here monday. looking at the pictures i was sent it has four plugs inthe ecu and they are grey and plugged into the ecu. then there are a few white plugs, an orange then i see one grey.. but like i said i its not infront of me. im just trying to find pin outs for the jzx90 that the listing said it was. but the guy said it was from a supra. jumping the gun im sure but i like to be prepared.
now on the harness extension, is there and certain area i should add the 18 inches?

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
My first swap I had someone extend the harness at the ECU side and he did it too long and got one of the camshaft sensors wrong. Also had to replace the caps within 2 weeks of driving it. The engine and transmission was from a JZA70 half cut that I picked out in Los Angeles and found a shipper to bring the engine, trans, harness, ecu, rad, IC with piping and shroud with hyd fan. The IC, and rad got crushed and the hyd fan didn't have the ecu and cooler with it. The last swap I did I had a Tweak harness made and everything went smooth except the Engine was probably a high mileage from Malaysia so I rebuilt the original 1J and tossed the weak high mileage one.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
steve_mk3;2064190 said:
vvti > non-vvti, Something like 2x the tourque and faster spool

Peak torque is the same. Same power as well.

All vvti does is adjust intake cam timing for better low end torque and helping the turbo spool earlier.

If you go vvti make sure you get the correct engine as the early ones with a manual throttle body with cable are much easier and cheaper to swap.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
suprachris;2065079 said:
looked up my ecu number now that the engine showed up. its out of a soarer.

I guess I stand corrected. Soarers do have 4 rows.

Also, you'll need to make sure you have a rear sump. I don't know which Soarers have, but it'll be obvious what's on your engine.

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
hvyman;2064785 said:
Peak torque is the same. Same power as well.

All vvti does is adjust intake cam timing for better low end torque and helping the turbo spool earlier.

If you go vvti make sure you get the correct engine as the early ones with a manual throttle body with cable are much easier and cheaper to swap.

You are correct - the same total torque

Please look at the torque curves, VVTI develops twice the torque earlier - WHERE YOU NEED IT

so all it does is adjust the timing - that is huge, please do not downplay VVTI