looking for replacement 7mge in dallas

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
BHG, ruined the head and in need of an engine asap. Im just looking for anyone that may have on in the dallas or fortworth area. I found one in fortworth at a salvage junkyard that a mechanic friend of mine told me about, however the miles on the engine are unsure but it does start up and run. They are asking 650 for the engine. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
mkIII213 said:
BHG, ruined the head and in need of an engine asap. Im just looking for anyone that may have on in the dallas or fortworth area. I found one in fortworth at a salvage junkyard that a mechanic friend of mine told me about, however the miles on the engine are unsure but it does start up and run. They are asking 650 for the engine. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I'm about to pull my GE to swap in a GTE. It has a BHG and very slight knock only when you rev it in park or neutral. It runs very good and I think it would last a good while if the hg was replaced. The knock is so minor you could probably throw in some new rod bearings and call it good. If interested PM me. I'd sell it cheap. I'm pulling engine whole, with the harness and that's how I'm selling it. 188k miles

As far as buying a used 7M out of salvage yard, you should assume it will have a BHG or rodknock. The two GE's I bought from a salvage yard for the 89I used to have had one or the other.

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
gtsfirefighter said:
I'm about to pull my GE to swap in a GTE. It has a BHG and very slight knock only when you rev it in park or neutral. It runs very good and I think it would last a good while if the hg was replaced. The knock is so minor you could probably throw in some new rod bearings and call it good. If interested PM me. I'd sell it cheap. I'm pulling engine whole, with the harness and that's how I'm selling it. 188k miles

As far as buying a used 7M out of salvage yard, you should assume it will have a BHG or rodknock. The two GE's I bought from a salvage yard for the 89I used to have had one or the other.

Alright, I appreciate it. However, I did pick an engine up at a salvage yard over the weekend. Im in the process of taking it apart right now to look at what I have. The engine came with the wiring harness, clutch and flywheel. I'm about to order some ARP head bolts, get a new HG, and new timing belt and tensioner for it just because why not replace a few things while the engine is out. Any other advice?

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Replace all the rubber hoses and belts. Replace water pump and thermostat. Pray it doesnt have a rod knock. Good luck with it.

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
Kckazdude said:
Replace all the rubber hoses and belts. Replace water pump and thermostat. Pray it doesnt have a rod knock. Good luck with it.
Kckazdude said:
All the belts, besides the timing belt, look like they are still in great shape. I already picked up a thormostat, and the water pump I will be getting with the timing belt

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Toyota timing belt 54 bucks.
Do the starter also and as luck has it toyota sells them for 115 bucks.
Do the alternator and everything.

Any hose that is crusty looking get rid of it and relace them.
Working smart and not hard will help you build a solid ride.

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
supramacist said:
Toyota timing belt 54 bucks.
Do the starter also and as luck has it toyota sells them for 115 bucks.
Do the alternator and everything.

Any hose that is crusty looking get rid of it and relace them.
Working smart and not hard will help you build a solid ride.

I have a buddy of mine that has a friend that works for toyota. I can get the timing belt, timing belt tensioner, head gakset, and water pump for $190. I will definitely look into the alternator and starter now that you mention it.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
I would special orderan HKS MHG and go arp hardware for peace of mind.
Although I hear the toyota oem replacements work well together these days.
It's still if'y IMO.

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
supramacist said:
I would special orderan HKS MHG and go arp hardware for peace of mind.
Although I hear the toyota oem replacements work well together these days.
It's still if'y IMO.

Well I'm not looking to make the car into a race car, just a fun DD for now. Would you still recommend the metal HG?

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
Kckazdude said:

I took off the head yesterday and the spark plugs were fairly new NGK's with little burn on them, and the head gasket wasn't blown. So it looks like a good engine to work with. I took the head down to get pressure tested and resurfaced, it will be done by this morning.