looking for electrical connector with lots of pins

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
I am lookin to buy a rugged electrical connector that can survive under the hood for my megasquirt wiring harness. when i built the harness it is one piece and i would like to add a way to seperated it under the hood for taking out the engine. So does anyone know of a good connecotr that has about 70-80 pins and will not cost a fortune. thanks

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There is mil spec connectors. There kinda expensive tho.

Or you could just use like 3 big connectors.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Anything multipin is going to cost, I think Amphenol are about the most affordable.

It's NOT just the cost of the connector and pins, you need to factor in the tooling to crimp them correctly, Deutsche use a $500+ crimper..

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
KicknAsphlt;1839787 said:
As these guys have posted, Canon plugs are probably your best bet. If you look hard enough, you might be able to find one capable of 70 or 80 pins...I believe I had one or two in the gear I worked on in the Navy.

True enough, I worked in the cable shop on the air side of the navy. We had a few 121 pin connectors for the main engine harnesses. I tell you mad is when someone on the flight line drops one of those connectors on the tarmac and you have to march out there with your bag of little plastic pin removers to swap one of those big connectors while its still on the bird. The large connectors are out there but like IJ said, the right crimper is absolutely critical. And pins cost a bundle. So it is expensive but you get what you pay for.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Dirgle;1839912 said:
True enough, I worked in the cable shop on the air side of the navy. We had a few 121 pin connectors for the main engine harnesses. I tell you mad is when someone on the flight line drops one of those connectors on the tarmac and you have to march out there with your bag of little plastic pin removers to swap one of those big connectors while its still on the bird. The large connectors are out there but like IJ said, the right crimper is absolutely critical. And pins cost a bundle. So it is expensive but you get what you pay for.

Yeah, those pins were fun to extract from a power supply harness...hell, even chaff bucket connectors sucked...lol. I was able to swipe a crimper kit before I left though, so if I ever need to use one I can...HA!

I even toyed with the idea of installing a canon plug on the firewall where the harness passes through and making the harness 2pc.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
jetjock;1839959 said:
Amp CPC is plenty good enough.

Judging by your avatar, you must be in Australia spying on IJ.?

You sneaky devil!

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Depends on which Deutsch connecter..

There autosport series uses (stateside) DMC crimpers... Specifically the MH860 series. If you use the AF-8 and the AFM-8 then yes, you are looking at $500 in crimpers, positioners and turrets. MH860 crimps all the autosport (Mil-c-39999 series 1-4) pins and sockets.