Looking for a RHD digital dash part...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I picked up a RHD digital dash, which I am in the process of converting to work in my LHD car.

Unfortunately, it's missing some bits. :( Specifically, the little wheel that snaps on the end of the speedo cable.

So, I'm looking for either that bit shipped to Canada, or some tips on how it works so that I can build my own.

JustinGotA1j

Jan 28, 2007
Chilliwack
Not to thread jack but if anyone reading this thread has the plugs for the back of the digidash I need them. I have all the other parts just need the plugs with wire tails.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
If you guys want, I'll have a look at some local wreckers here and see if I can find what you need :)

If there are no MkIIIs locally, I am more than happy to make some calls to Sydney and see if they have it, as I will be up there next weekend :)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
LilMissMkIII;1023416 said:
If you guys want, I'll have a look at some local wreckers here and see if I can find what you need :)

If there are no MkIIIs locally, I am more than happy to make some calls to Sydney and see if they have it, as I will be up there next weekend :)
Girl, you rock. :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
You plug into the ABS sensor on the trans or front wheel then the box outputs the correct signal to the speedo so it's accurate ;)

I did this using a Hall sensor on the front to drive my AVCR as I could never get a good stable signal using SP1 or 2.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
IJ.;1024335 said:
You plug into the ABS sensor on the trans or front wheel then the box outputs the correct signal to the speedo so it's accurate ;)

I did this using a Hall sensor on the front to drive my AVCR as I could never get a good stable signal using SP1 or 2.
Ah, gotcha! I thought you were talking about those little gear boxes that change the speed the cable spins.

I need to figure out if this thing wants a voltage, a frequency, a resistance... or god knows, could be anything.

millers

Feb 18, 2006
Up North
GrimJack;1024340 said:
I need to figure out if this thing wants a voltage, a frequency, a resistance... or god knows, could be anything.

i had mine pulled apart a few weeks back having a look at it.
it outputs a frequency depending on how fast the cable is turning

there are 4 wires coming out of it. 1 is power, 1 is ground, 1 is a signal and the 4th i didnt connect to anything.

on the inside of the box there is a sensor like in the old ball style computer mouse (http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/mouse2.jpg). the cable spins the disc with the slots on it and the sensor inside picks up the pulses of light and converts them to the electrical pulse the speedo needs.

no idea how many holes are in the disc but if your going to try build your own i can pull mine apart again and have a look for you

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Dave: Yep that's the critter.

Not sure if the Digidash uses the stock 4 pulse per rotation sensor or the higher count ABS sensor and this is why we suggested the JayCar box as you can get it perfect no matter what.