Looking for a new DD- Lexus IS300, or BMW 3-Series?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
So, I'm in the market for a new daily driver. Looking to spend around $15,000 or so, give or take.

My requirements:

Black, or dark gray. Must be dark colored, not blue.
Manual, I won't drive an automatic.
Leather, and heated seats
Comfortable and luxurious.

Now, anyone driven both? Which did you like better? I was leaning toward the Lexus for a long time, as I get a great discount at the local dealership, but I decided that I don't care about that when I saw a gorgeous black on black BMW 330ci.

I really want to know which is the better car, and please try to keep the biased-to-Toyota feelings out. Hands down, which will I likely enjoy more?

I might be going for a few test drives in the near future.

Thanks for any and all input. :)

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
well I really cant say anything bad about bmw performance or luxury wise as it is a great piece of engineering but same thing with lexus. I guess it comes down to which would you prefer. Do you liek the looks of the bmw or lexus more and the cost of maintenance is alot different as well. So you must weigh your options out.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I despise the clear altezza style tails on the new Lexus models. Ugh. Other than that, one doesn't appeal to me more than the other, which is why I made this thread. ;)

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
The BMW is the better car, hands down.

But can you afford a BMW?

My dad had a 1995 750iL. Albeit, that was the flagship model, so this is almost biased, but still listen.

Battery? $400-500ish dollars.

Dome light assembly? $700 dollars

Memory seat position button? $1**

Now a 3 series will be much cheaper, but still, BMW's arn't cheap like a toyota. And it shows in being a much better car. My dad and I did 100MPH plus in that 7 Series, and it was the best riding car, ever.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
That's the kind of thing I keep hearing from BMW owners. :) Yes, I can afford the repair bills, they're not an issue, aside from the fact that I keep hearing about how unusual it is for them to break down. :)

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
If you can afford it DO it.

They don't brake often at all. My dads 750 never broke down. He just had to replace a couple parts inside! He got it for like 13k in 2000(steal of a deal from the owner of a dealership who is a friend) and it ran ultra reliably until he sold it a few years back unfortunately, Best car weve ever owned.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I'm going to vote for IS300 (just sold mine). Even though it was an auto, it was still fun to drive. BMW's are overrated if you ask me. They are a dime a dozen out there.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Not that I have any personal experience, the experiences I see judging from SF.com's Other Cars section is that BMWs tend to have tons of electrical problems.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Price the usual maintenance items such as a battery, brake pads, headlights and such that will wear out regardless of who built it. 20 years ago, my ex-wife told me her boss was upset at the $400 brake pads she had to have. $500 battery.....Fu*k that! I'm not sure I'd want the upkeep of a BMW myself. Add to that, you work at a Lexus dealer and get a discount on the cheaper parts. I'd go IS, and spend the rest on your Supra!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I don't work at a dealership, but I get the employee discount. Best of both worlds! ;)

I'm still up in the air about it. I'd really like to get a nice, comfortable daily driver. Toyota quality has come a long way. Hell, the interior of the Supra is well built, and that's 20yrs old. I can only hope that it would have carried into the Lexus line!

I would love an M3, but it's a bit out of my range at this time, with an '03 being around $20-24k, and I'm looking to spend about $15k or so.

Thus far, everyone (not forum people) has told me to go BMW. I don't need it to be super fast, or handle amazingly. I need it to be classy and comfortable.

When my Supra is done (if I ever get more time to work on it:() THAT will be for speed, handling, etc...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Whoever moved this, you bastid. I'm not posting pics of other cars, I'm ASKING about them! That's why I deliberately posted in the OT section, as to get more traffic, since I'm only asking opinions, and this section gets little traffic compared to OT...

grrr...

Sil

Evil Empire
Jan 13, 2008
Milwaukee/Chicago
Havent driven an IS300 substantially enough to comment on it, drove a 330xi last week, which obviously is awd rather than rwd but close enough, I enjoyed it. Its a well built car, quiet and smooth, but its got some get up and go when you need it. If you can afford it, you cant go wrong with a BMW (as long as you stay away from the x5, I don't know what the hell happened there).

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I've driven both and prefer the BMW hands down.
I like the IS300's alot, and think they're a great car, but I've had friends with 325xi's and 330's that beat the hell out of them and still ride as smooth as the day they got them.
Great smooth ride for a DD and even the 325 felt faster than an IS300.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
shaeff;1004133 said:
I don't work at a dealership, but I get the employee discount. Best of both worlds! ;)

I'm still up in the air about it. I'd really like to get a nice, comfortable daily driver. Toyota quality has come a long way. Hell, the interior of the Supra is well built, and that's 20yrs old. I can only hope that it would have carried into the Lexus line!

I would love an M3, but it's a bit out of my range at this time, with an '03 being around $20-24k, and I'm looking to spend about $15k or so.

Thus far, everyone (not forum people) has told me to go BMW. I don't need it to be super fast, or handle amazingly. I need it to be classy and comfortable.

When my Supra is done (if I ever get more time to work on it:() THAT will be for speed, handling, etc...

From what I have heard from you it seems to me that you want a BMW. I for one would never own one just because they are overrated and its definitely not the best buy for my buck even if I was into luxury.

IMHO id go lexus thats just my .02 .

But everyone has their opinion

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Well, if you don't care about sportiness because you have the Supra...then you shouldn't really be looking at the BMW's, because they are quite sporty...in fact, I wouldn't like to have one as a daily driver, the suspension is just too stiff. In my mom's 2004 325ci (sport package) the ride is so harsh that I have gotten to the point where I was almost going to vomit and had headaches on long trips... :( Handles like no other, though! It's a TON of fun in the canyons.

As for the Lexus, my aunt just bought a new IS...it's alright, and the ride is better, but it is SO small inside. Makes me claustrophobic.

Another choice you could consider is the Mercedes C & E classes. Best build quality out there (in my opinion), comfortable, stylish, and reliable. Plus, you can get one for really cheap, since they depreciate like no other. :D Doesn't mean it's a bad car, tho...they are awesome.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/car/657418542.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/car/653861486.html

Sorry, I'm slightly partial to the benzes...but what I look for in a DD is comfort and practicality, with a little bit of power and style, lots of room to move around in, and storage space (big trunk).