Looking for a good first time driver / DD car.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
So, the wifey has finally gotten her license and is looking to get a car or maybe SUV for sub $3k. She loves the old 60-70s mustangs but at that price I can't see it happening. She sorta likes the 90s mustang and I've seen the v8s going for that price range.

We actually went to look at a 95 v6 mustang today that turned out to be a pile of garbage and broke down during the test drive. All of my friends are saying to run away from any ford because they are junk but the mustang seems like a nice car. I mean everything is gonna have problems, the after market parts seem to be easy to find and pretty cheap when things do break.

Gas mileage isn't really a concern she won't be doing any long commutes. Having some decent power would be nice, I'm always a fan of having the power when you need it. No hatch backs or honda CRX style cars. I'm not looking for a total beater car, it's gotta be nice and fun to drive ya know not an old 80s nissan sentra ha. I would like it to be easy to work on as I will be doing all the work, parts that are easy to come by and not special order or dealer only.

Any recommendations or things to stay away from? I've only ever owned my supra and my jeep cherokee.

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
I always have to say this but my lexus ls400 is great, super reliable and only cost me $3000.

As for being simple to work on id say its not, but I'm not totally sure because the only things I've had to do are change the oil and the tires in 2 years. And those were easy enough.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I was actually looking at the pontiacs, they seem common with older people who want a freeway cruiser and end up selling them off pretty cheap. The nissan maxima I haven't look at but I'm going to start checking those as well. I love my 97 cherokee and we are looking at those as well but she is leaning towards a car not SUV. I was pushing a v8 grand cherokee too they look pretty nice more suited for on-road use. I was also steering clear of a lexus but may start looking now. A friend has some lexus and any time something breaks the parts cost him a fortune and he swears it's worse to work on than a toyota.

I'm still hoping to find a mustang in good shape, a girl driving a muscle car is pretty hot I think.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Get her something slow and safe. It's her first car, dude.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I forgot to mention earlier, I'd go with a Subaru. My girlfriend has a '99 Legacy SUS. Very easy to work on, pretty cheap to maintain, awesome in snow with good tires on it, decent mileage.

If you need a little more pep for her step, get a Legacy GT and keep the boost down.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
In case any one missed my other thread.

We bought a 95 sc300, which is pretty awesome I must admit. The first time I sat in it and the seat and steering wheel all began to adjust made me smile. It is really quick too but perfectly suitable for DD needs and the ole' lady loves it so it's a winner.