looking at kinesis supercup wheels

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
My bud has a 92 tt 300z and sellin a set of kinesis supercup wheels. 18x10 in the rear and 18x9 in the front.
I tried to mount the rear wheel on my 88 supra. but when I tried to put the wheel on my car the wheel studs weren't long enough. The 300z has a regular body and no big brake kit. the wheel I tried does match my bolt pattern but can't bolt it up. Will just slightly longer wheel studs work or is it more to this? I will post pic of the wheel later.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
sounds like the offset may be a problem. youll probibly need longer studs, and a spacer to get it to work correctly

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
With 18x10's that's doubtful. Perhaps the centerbore on the wheel isn't the same. I know that's the problem when it comes to Maxima vs Supra. My 3rd gen maxima needed tires, and I figured I'd just put my sawblades on it... the lug spacing is the same, but the center hole is different.

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
supra90turbo said:
With 18x10's that's doubtful. Perhaps the centerbore on the wheel isn't the same. I know that's the problem when it comes to Maxima vs Supra. My 3rd gen maxima needed tires, and I figured I'd just put my sawblades on it... the lug spacing is the same, but the center hole is different.
So what did u do? Did u figure a way to use that wheel on the maxima?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
nope. just bought tires.

All you have to do is measure the center bore of the rim, then that of your hub. if they don't fit, and you like the wheels, then take the wheels to a machine shop, and someone there will bore out the center hole to your specification.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
300zx wheels stick out a little. if you look at some older pictures of drjonez's brown car, I THINK thoise villains had 300zx offset.

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
well i just checked the center diameter of the wheel hub and the center diameter of the wheel i have are slightly off. im sure a spacer can take care of that. the longer studs will have to also be installed. ive heard that arp makes wheel studs in the correct pitch for our cars in different lenghts. this is a few shots if the wheel im looking to buy. they are 18x10 in the rear and 18x 8 1/5 in the front. the tire size in the rear is 275x35x18. i dont know what size the front tires are but i can find out. all the same what do u guys think? they are a few years old but are very clean. the previous owner(or soon to be :)) had the center color matched to the color of his car. i will get them painted and probably go with a gun metal color.. any opinions are welcome..

Attachments

• DSCN1043.JPG
    DSCN1043.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN1045.JPG
    DSCN1045.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN1039.JPG
    DSCN1039.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
supra90turbo said:
nope. just bought tires.

All you have to do is measure the center bore of the rim, then that of your hub. if they don't fit, and you like the wheels, then take the wheels to a machine shop, and someone there will bore out the center hole to your specification.
the bore of the wheel is bigger than that on my hub(car) so i would need to get a spacer and place it on my hub to make the wheel fit snug.. but i hear what youre saying if it was the other way around. :icon_bigg

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
It appears that you're forcing the fitment of these wheels onto your car. Are you desparate for these wheels? If I had the choice, I'll reconsider and focus on getting something that's more of a direct fit and with the appropriate offset.
JMHO...

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
BlackDevilSupra said:
It appears that you're forcing the fitment of these wheels onto your car. Are you desparate for these wheels? If I had the choice, I'll reconsider and focus on getting something that's more of a direct fit and with the appropriate offset.
JMHO...
:) u a funny guy.. Well yes I do like them and yes I'm probably pushing the issue.. They are cool wheels and the price seems right on for me. If I can find a way to make it work u better believe it will be going on the car :):)
But I hear you howard and I will keep what u said in mind. Thanks again for your input buddy..

Last edited:

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
You pm'ed me for advice...not to sure why(?) If the center bore is too small, and you really want to make them work, (I would! Thy're hot!:love: ) You can have a professional wheel shop, or service, re-bore the center hole to the exact Supra size, I think it's 61mm(?) They would then be perfect for the car, alot better than using hub centric rings! Hope this helps you. The rims are awesome!:icon_bigg

Tom

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
BlackDevilSupra said:
JMHO...

im with blackdevil, i usually try to keep the least amount of 'stuff' (oem or aftermarket) between my wheel and hub; i.e. using stock studs and all. it'd probably make it a bit safer, not to mention easier to balance.

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
Most aftermarket wheels will have a hub bore larger than what our supra's have - this is to maximize the number of cars a wheel will fit (with the same bolt pattern) The 60mm hub that toyota used is actually a little small (in comparison to other OEM's). The wheel hub bore on my Volks was like 77mm...

In terms of studs, i had to replace my studs when i switched from Enkei's to Volk, as the hub area on the wheel was much thicker on the volks. I attribute this to a different sytle of mounting/ lug nut. The Enkei's used a standard acorn nut, while the volks use those little damn splined nuts. Make a long story short, i had to replace all the studs with longer ones. just make sure to try and find studs with the same (or as close as possible) size shoulder length and diam, along with the correct type of splines. something too small and it will round out the splined holes in your hubs.

hope this helps. I say make the damn things fit, because there is a good chance that nobody else will have the same wheels on their car, making them even sweeter...

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
91T breezen' said:
You pm'ed me for advice...not to sure why(?) If the center bore is too small, and you really want to make them work, (I would! Thy're hot!:love: ) You can have a professional wheel shop, or service, re-bore the center hole to the exact Supra size, I think it's 61mm(?) They would then be perfect for the car, alot better than using hub centric rings! Hope this helps you. The rims are awesome!:icon_bigg

Tom
Yea man I almost forgot I did pm u.. :) well actually the center hub diameter of the car is smaller than the center section of the wheel so I will need to fill in the space which is being worked on now.
But all the same I like the wheel also and I want to get them on the car. I will take my time and do some research and figure the best way to get them mounted safely.

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
bwest said:
Most aftermarket wheels will have a hub bore larger than what our supra's have - this is to maximize the number of cars a wheel will fit (with the same bolt pattern) The 60mm hub that toyota used is actually a little small (in comparison to other OEM's). The wheel hub bore on my Volks was like 77mm...

In terms of studs, i had to replace my studs when i switched from Enkei's to Volk, as the hub area on the wheel was much thicker on the volks. I attribute this to a different sytle of mounting/ lug nut. The Enkei's used a standard acorn nut, while the volks use those little damn splined nuts. Make a long story short, i had to replace all the studs with longer ones. just make sure to try and find studs with the same (or as close as possible) size shoulder length and diam, along with the correct type of splines. something too small and it will round out the splined holes in your hubs.

hope this helps. I say make the damn things fit, because there is a good chance that nobody else will have the same wheels on their car, making them even sweeter...
Well now what type of wheel stud did u use to replace the stock ones? Where did u get them from and what kind of fabrication did u have to do to make them work/fit into the knurl hole? As much info on what u did will really help me out on this cause no one really makes a specific wheel stud upgrade for the mkiii.. :(

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Doesn't ARP make all kinds of wheel studs? I know that Nismo makes them for most of the high-performance Nissan cars...but man, they ain't cheap!:aigo:

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
91T breezen' said:
Doesn't ARP make all kinds of wheel studs? I know that Nismo makes them for most of the high-performance Nissan cars...but man, they ain't cheap!:aigo:
Yea tom. I called ARP yesterday and the closest size stud they have is fpr the lexus is300. The mkiv guys use them if they are looking for longer wheel studs. I have to check a stock mkiii stud and check the knurl diameter and shoulder height to see how it matches up to the is300 set. I will be doing some research this coming week.

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
well actually the center hub diameter of the car is smaller than the center section of the wheel so I will need to fill in the space which is being worked on now.
get your hub measurement (60mm as per IJ, for some reason i remember measuring 60.5mm...:dunno: ) and then the ID of the wheel bore, call America's Tire (or go to there ebay store) and buy a set of hubcentric rings. mine were aluminum (because of the large difference), i've had others that were plastic (tight tolerance) but their job is to center the wheel, nothing more.

Well now what type of wheel stud did u use to replace the stock ones? Where did u get them from and what kind of fabrication did u have to do to make them work/fit into the knurl hole?

I went to my local auto parts store, talked with somebody that knows the difference between a spark pulg and a light bulb (which i admit, can be difficult at times) and told them roughly what i was doing. he whipped out a 1500 page book and we spent the next 15min looking up the OE stud dimensions and then finding an application that would work. The stud i used wasn't from a specific vehicle that i can think of, but just the longest stud he could find that had the correct shoulder size (for the record, the one i used was .05mm smaller in diam on the shoulder, but it fit ok).

On getting the studs out, you can follow the TSRM prcedure (very detailed) or sacrifice a lug nut and get a real big hammer... once you pull the brakes off and look at the hub you will know what i mean.

Hope that helps