Looking at an '88 for sale...opinions?

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Looks great but it is a little expensive for it being N/A.... If it was turbo I'd say go for it... And about the miles, its what I tell everyone looking to buy an old car. Eventually a rebuild will come sooner or later and if done right the car will not skip a beat for another 20 + years of driving... Looks like a perfect place to start thou, a clean body inside and out....

frythan

Aug 11, 2012
Clearfield Utah
I was thinking of trying to talk him down to at least 3300...then when I get the loan, attempt for 5500 and use that extra cash towards a rebuild. And anything else. My buddy's dad has a shop in the same area. I'd take it to him for sure.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Ask the seller about the drivers side rear. Bumper looks a bit low on that side. Just like Sside said, for it being an NA, it is very high priced. BUT with it being that clean inside and out, that is a very nice starting point. I would talk them down if possible ( not to sound rude ), but $3k cash in hand. Just because it is an NA. Hell if you want to spend 3500 more you can have my 2JZ 90 with a big single turbo. lol. Just to do a price comparison here, I want 8k for my 2JZ 90 with big single conversion, and they want 4500 for a 7MGE.....Talk them down alot!

frythan

Aug 11, 2012
Clearfield Utah
91Supra313;1925169 said:
Ask the seller about the drivers side rear. Bumper looks a bit low on that side. Just like Sside said, for it being an NA, it is very high priced. BUT with it being that clean inside and out, that is a very nice starting point. I would talk them down if possible ( not to sound rude ), but $3k cash in hand. Just because it is an NA. Hell if you want to spend 3500 more you can have my 2JZ 90 with a big single turbo. lol. Just to do a price comparison here, I want 8k for my 2JZ 90 with big single conversion, and they want 4500 for a 7MGE.....Talk them down alot!

I'm not gonna lie your car sounds a LOT better. It's more to what I'm looking for anyways....haha. Is it a manual?

I was looking at this one and a 2002 Celica GTS with the same miles and $200 bucks less. TRD kit. http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/436623?ad_cid=1

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Get me on yahoo messenger and we can talk about the car. If I had to choose between that Supra and the Celica GTS, I would go for the Celica. I have driven one of those GTSs and that damn car is quick and agile! Oh yeah my yahoo is hks88supra

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Just buy Supra313's car, he must have already taken alot of headaches away from you since this is yout first supra and mistakes are bound to happen so he has also saved you money as well.... Unless that guy is ready to give you a major discount then no deal......

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Easy there Sside, I don't need you rushing him into anything too fast. That would mean I have to find a different place other then my trunk to keep the dead hooker. lol.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
The car looks nice, especially for being winter driven.
These cars don't exactly sell fast (especially non-turbo) so if he doesn't like your offer, wait it out.

I waited 4 months for the price on my car to come down to a point that I felt comfortable with ($5000 down to $3200).
In the end it was more then worth it for one of the cleanest cars I've seen for sale in a while.

dpkeefe11

Sep 27, 2012
blackstone, massachusetts
i got my 86.5 na (pretty sure all options) metallic brown and matching cloth interior with bucket seats. a new airconditioner and radio and a brand new paint job for 2500. its in similar condition but the paint looks pretty damn nice compared to alot of them because it got repainted.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
For now she gets to stay in mine. He said he was too far away or he would be interested. Time for bed....I have 5am drive to Michigan in the morning.

frythan

Aug 11, 2012
Clearfield Utah
I saw a sick supra on supratraderonline I could probably get if its still available. If not, I'm gonna go for the supra. At least I hope.

Xbl GT: IK frythan

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
the car I just bought was a 89 turbo 5 speed, engine just re-built for $2,500 the one I bought before was a 87 N/a engine just re-built for $2,000 (those figures were full price I paid for the cars, the engine work for both came out to more than the price I bought them for)

I've bought other supras before and had them shit out on me with the QUICKNESS if you get one, make sure the owner (or at least his mechanic) knows the car well, and make sure it's in damn good shape (mechanically at least)

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
frythan;1925152 said:
First Supra. Wanna do it right.

Than don't buy an N/A.... Lol. Honestly it looks to be clean and taken care of. I personally would never buy a non turbo car but this one might be worth checking out. There is always a little wiggle room in the advertised price just gotta find out how much

frythan

Aug 11, 2012
Clearfield Utah
SC61 MK3;1925319 said:
Than don't buy an N/A.... Lol. Honestly it looks to be clean and taken care of. I personally would never buy a non turbo car but this one might be worth checking out. There is always a little wiggle room in the advertised price just gotta find out how much

I would prefer it turbo as well. Bit it's literally one of 3 running MKIII's in the state and the only one I really trust. The fact that he actually used grammar in his listing, actually talks about the vehicle, it seems less sketchy to me. And it's the closest.

Xbl GT: IK frythan

AnubisMK3

Jul 31, 2012
Milwaukee
I need to follow up with him, but i ran into an older gentlemen this morning while i was refueling this morning, he saw my car and started asking about it. When I asked what his interest was, he said his nephew had a car just like mine, and he recently passed away. He asked me to come "appraise it" for him. I know its targa and black, and he said the front end looks a bit different so im assuming its 89+. I'm gonna see if i can arrange a meeting next weekend. If its in good condition I'll let ya know. I'd like to see it in the hands of another forum member.

Oh yeah, go and see the guy about that car and bring 3k with you. Just tell him, "I can give you $3000 right now, and the car is out of your hair" If he says no, leave your phone number. He'll call you in a few weeks. :p