Looking at a Porsche 944s

Jarvis

May 14, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
I've never bought a Porsche before, so I don't know much about them. I found this one for sale in my area the other day. It's an '87 944s. Guy wants 2,000 for it. Says it runs very well, but will probably need a new clutch soon. Body is in good shape, needs paint. Interior needs some TLC.

Anybody got any advice on this?

Attachments

• porsche1.jpg
    porsche1.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 32

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
make damn sure the front suspension is tight... there is nothing robust about them and nothing cheap, think 7m headgasket... this is the 944's flaw

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I know a person who used to have an 87 944. He had quite a few problems with it, but it was also pretty rough and high mileage.

gmh34al

Jan 4, 2012
Saint John, NB
Owned one & sold it it in 6 months, these cars are strong and reliable but you have to keep up with ALL the maintenance. Pumps, seals, & belts go on these like crazy if not looked after... Just my 2 cents

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Stock Autozone Duralast clutch set is $577.99. Damn. I've heard those cars were expensive to maintain. Before getting my MKIII turbo I was going to finance a 944, but people were telling me that I wouldn't be able to afford the regular routine maintenance. I couldn't find a clean 944 anyway, so I ended up buying the MKIII.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Evidently you've never heard of the Rule of Porsche.

The Rule of Porsche: Any Porsche with a 4 in the model sucks. Any model with more than one 4 in the model is a money pit worse than a boat. There is a single exception to the Rule, the 928 S4.

No, I'm not kidding.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I have heard the 944 being a money pit. That also scared me away from them. I would have loved the 928, but I was shopping for one back in 1995 and getting one back them was out of the question. Too expensive.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
^^ These boys are preaching the gospel right here... listen to them.

It's no wonder you can find a "perfectly running" Porsche 944 on fleaBay or CRapList for under $5k all day long. So many people are trying their damnedist to get out from under them because of their miriad of issues. If you pay no heed to these warnings, you can still buy one at reasonable cost and swap in a decent motor and tranny.

Then you can really enjoy your ride.

IanC

Jul 13, 2012
Maryville, TN
Like all German cars Porsche's have to be kept up regularly. If you let maintenance slide small things turn into big (expensive) things. This usually spells trouble with the 944 as it has always been moderately affordable. More people that can't afford or were too cheap to perform the maintenance owned them.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Front suspension is an issue on them. If the parts are worn, you're going to spend a fortune fixing it as the parts aren't rebuildable and need to be replaced. Well, that was until the aftermarket got to it and made a MUCH cheaper option, but still...

It's a Porsche, so yes it's going to be expensive.

Also, no turbo, no care.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
porsche 944 turbo is twice the price and twice the headache IMO. I always liked the 944, I almost bought one instead of a supra like previously stated. I think the cost of repair will be what you paid for it or more if you drive it like it's suppose to be. But with the 50/50 weight balance and some new suspension this thing would handle like a dream. Not to mention a motor swap for a jdm would be a lot more practical. But with all the fabrication that would go into it you'd basically be looking at building a drift car in a similarities. Although it would be bad-ass in the end. I honestly wish I had built one like that for autocross, I don't think the supra will fair as well but atleast it's a mean street machine.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I can say this much about them from living with a friend who owned one:
-They're really well built, and
-they're really, really finicky, as pointed out above.

Save yourself the money and buy a Miata. Spend the money you *would* have put into maintaining the Porsche on a Flyin' Miata turbo setup. Or, alternatively, save up a bit more than the Porsche would bleed out of you in a few years, and swap in an LS3 into the Miata. Car handles just as good, is WAY more backyard mechanic friendly, and a lot cheaper in the long run.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
simmi;1946638 said:
I like Porsche because of its looks and reliability I bought it last month.

you mean the looks and the thought of maintaining it? :D

Post some pictures up. oh and if their is a string of problems, don't scrap it, do a motor swap!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Beals;1945573 said:
porsche 944 turbo is twice the price and twice the headache IMO.

And no turbo means it's slow and worthless.

Regardless, I think I'd look for an FC RX-7 if you want something that looks a bit like the 944 but without all the hassles.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1947034 said:
And no turbo means it's slow and worthless.

Regardless, I think I'd look for an FC RX-7 if you want something that looks a bit like the 944 but without all the hassles.
Bwahahaha, that might be the first time I've ever seen something ill compared to an RX7 for reliability. :p

Honestly though, that's kinda what Mazda was going for with the FC if I recall. They're nice cars as well, and not completely slow NA if you know how to drive. Definitely not slow if turbo and you know how to drive...

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
GrimJack;1945277 said:
Evidently you've never heard of the Rule of Porsche.

The Rule of Porsche: Any Porsche with a 4 in the model sucks. Any model with more than one 4 in the model is a money pit worse than a boat. There is a single exception to the Rule, the 928 S4.

No, I'm not kidding.
I'd have to agree. my buddy from VT owned one. Not for long. It was an abysmal heap of junk, and had more issues that I've probably seen any other car have.

I like the concept (rear mounted transmission for better balance) but it seems to me that the car is just cheaply made. period

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Insidious Surmiser;1948891 said:
I like the concept (rear mounted transmission for better balance) but it seems to me that the car is just cheaply made. period
Actually, you just described the C5 Corvette. The Porsche was actually rather expensively made (hence the expensive upkeep and maintenance), while still retaining some of that VW parts bin, if not much.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
hm... I'm no engineer, I was just speaking from personal experience and recollection.

c5 vette had rear-mounted transmission?? ;) I'm guessing it didn't, I have no idea.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Insidious Surmiser;1949645 said:
hm... I'm no engineer, I was just speaking from personal experience and recollection.

c5 vette had rear-mounted transmission?? ;) I'm guessing it didn't, I have no idea.
No worries dude, I guess a better way to describe the Porsche was a car made by Porsche engineers, making the best of what they could from the shared parts bin of the VW group. :p

As for the C5, they did indeed move the transmission to the back. Sits right between the driver/passenger and the rear axle. This was done (as you pointed out) for better weight distribution, and the C6 (and I would guess the C7 as well) followed suit. There's a reason C5 and newer Vettes handle as well as most Miatas...