looking at a mk4...What to offer?

Mr. jza70

HIGH ON PSI
May 23, 2009
NW
I looked at a mk4 today,Its a black all stock minus wheels and intake 95 n/a auto with 225k miles on it with a clean carfax never been titled outside of cali. The car looks great for the mileage and drives good but im not sure what to offer the guy for the price. KBB is 10.5k but i know theses cars usually go for more?

Mr. jza70

HIGH ON PSI
May 23, 2009
NW
it also comes with a wrecked,totaled 94 mk4 6spdTT with complete 80k swap and lots of extra parts on it

Mr. jza70

HIGH ON PSI
May 23, 2009
NW
hes asking around 18k. I dunno if i wanna drop that. but i know the motor,tranny,wiring,and ecu is worth like 7k plus theres the driveline,body parts,front and rear tein suspension,ttcalipers,carbon clutch,pedal swap etc...Its a 10hr round trip plus trailer rental,etc

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
I'd offer 15k and be willing to pay 16k. Just keep reminding him about how your going to have to trailer it, do a ton of work to the swap as well as replacing suspension busings and such considering the milage. If he comes back with 16-16.5k agree on the condition that he delivers it.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Offer 15K, and see what the response is! There is no limit to how many offers you may give a seller.

Buy it at whatever price you agree on. 18K is not bad if you go into it with a plan. Swap the TT and 6-speed to the N/A. Then, part out the rest of the TT car, and all of the parts you remove from the N/A. If interiors are the same color, keep the best of everything, and sell everything you don't need. You get a Twin Turbo 6-speed for probably $12-13K and a little bit of work. How in the hell do you beat that????????

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
ForcedTorque;1486718 said:
Offer 15K, and see what the response is! There is no limit to how many offers you may give a seller.

No however a counter offer legally voids and offer. In other words if you offer15 it is no longer available at 18 unless he offers it at that price again.

My business law professor told me a story of a client who was offered a strip mall that he had been wanting to buy for a long time. The seller offered it for 8 mil which was an exceptionally low price. The client countered 6 mil. The seller (who didnt really need to sell and took this offer as an insult) countered with 10 mil. The client still needed to buy and lost 2 million dollars by opening his mouth when he shouldnt have.

That said, is unlikely to occur in this situation. Just wanted to offer up the knowledge.

ForcedTorque;1486718 said:
Buy it at whatever price you agree on. 18K is not bad if you go into it with a plan. Swap the TT and 6-speed to the N/A. Then, part out the rest of the TT car, and all of the parts you remove from the N/A. If interiors are the same color, keep the best of everything, and sell everything you don't need. You get a Twin Turbo 6-speed for probably $12-13K and a little bit of work. How in the hell do you beat that????????
I dont think it comes with a TT car but rather just the TT front clip.

Mr. jza70

HIGH ON PSI
May 23, 2009
NW
yea,or i was thinkin about selling all of the parts car and have little $ into the other car. the 6sp tt swap would still cost a bit and i dont know how to do a lot of the work. is the tt auto tanny and na auto the same? wouldn it be easier to do the motor swap and stick with the auto?

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
hey i seen this post on craigslist it looks like a good buy to me...i see 15k espically if you got to tow it and all that...good luck with your buy....i always see mk4 na between 5k-10k on craigsist....good time to buy

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
Mr. jza70;1486723 said:
yea,or i was thinkin about selling all of the parts car and have little $ into the other car. the 6sp tt swap would still cost a bit and i dont know how to do a lot of the work. is the tt auto tanny and na auto the same? wouldn it be easier to do the motor swap and stick with the auto?

This being said, its really not for you. The amount of money your going to pay in labor, you could probably buy a lower milage TT for the same price minus the headaches + potential emissions issues. (N/A car is going to be evaluated at N/A emissions levels.)

Mr. jza70

HIGH ON PSI
May 23, 2009
NW
Ive never seen any mk4 for 5-10k??? im thinking about selling the 2jz,6spd,wiring,ecu,tt driveline and other goodies.
thanks for the input guys!

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
Mr. jza70;1486795 said:
Ive never seen any mk4 for 5-10k??? im thinking about selling the 2jz,6spd,wiring,ecu,tt driveline and other goodies.
thanks for the input guys!

Ok but your talking about paying 15-16k for it. For that price you will likely find another MK4 thats closer to what you want for around that price. You just gotta be patient.

Mr. jza70

HIGH ON PSI
May 23, 2009
NW
Im very happy with my purchase! If anyone maight be interested in the motor set(swap) PM me.