Looking at a 94 Supra - Advice Please!

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
I recently found a 1994 Targa Supra upgraded to a T66 single-turbo for sale and I'm hoping to look at it this weekend.

Here's the thing though: the seller is asking almost nothing for it: $3300 firm.

It has 74500 kms on it, a whole pile of mods to complement the T66, and apparently is in great condition. However, the owner is currently in the UK working and says the low price is to just get it sold. It is a Canadian car and left-hand-drive. Here are the listed mods:

Turbo 6spd Targa Top.iIt has Turbonetics Ball Bearing T66 with Turbonetics Manifold,Ported and polished Head, HSK Head Gasket, Apexi BOV,Tial Wastegate, Blitz FMIC,HKS VPC, HKS FDC,720cc Injectors, Paxton Fuel Pump, Filter,Fuel Pressure Regulator, Apexi N1 Exhaust,RMM Downpipe,AEM Cam Gears,ApexiCoilovers, Clutchmaster Stage 5 Clutch and Flywheel, SPI Boost Guage,Apexi T.Timer, Built in K 40 Radar, Greddy Front Lip, Bomex side skirts. Has fiberglass rear spoiler.

I have requested the VIN number (so I can verify the car is not stolen) and a contact number for whomever has the car in their care so I can arrange a visit to see it. The link below will show pictures of the car and it looks to be in good condition. I also don't know how long the car has been sitting for (I have asked that question, hopefully that's answered along with the VIN)

http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad39/toyotasupraturbo1994/

I need some advice though: assuming it checks out and I go to see it, what should I be on the lookout for? Besides the usual things to check on a used car, are there any MKIV-specific points or gremlins I should be aware of? Also, what should I be aware of when buying a car that has so many mods?

Thanks everyone.

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
Damn! Send him the dough right away, before he sells this beauty to someone else! And double check the registration, make sure it's registered in La-la land, because that's where this mkiv is.

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
Yeah, a great deal. He'd be getting the rest of the car/mods for free!! LMAO. Seriously, dude, if you think this is a real car, I got some nice lakefront property in FL I'd like to sell you...

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
Yeah, that's kinda what I figured, lol. I'm gonna be in the seller's area this weekend anyways, so if he gets back to me with a phone number I might just go for shits and giggles.

What's the worst that can happen? I'm not paying fuel for the trip and if it's a fake or a pile o'shit then I'm only out the cost of lunch.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Ash;1505178 said:
Yeah, that's kinda what I figured, lol. I'm gonna be in the seller's area this weekend anyways, so if he gets back to me with a phone number I might just go for shits and giggles.

What's the worst that can happen? I'm not paying fuel for the trip and if it's a fake or a pile o'shit then I'm only out the cost of lunch.

Bubba and da boys make you their bitch ;)

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
IJ.;1505189 said:
Bubba and da boys make you their bitch ;)

Sure he looks nice now, but look twice hes gonna hump your leg.
wi-bubba1.jpg

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
lewis15498;1505197 said:
Sure he looks nice now, but look twice hes gonna hump your leg.
wi-bubba1.jpg

Yeah... I thought of that too. I'm not going alone. I've got a couple of friends who are 6'4", 240 lbs and were bouncers for a few years.

Besides, I can run faster scared of anal rape than Bubba can horny for pretty little white boy.:biglaugh:

Slow_Sc3

I beat bikes dude
Apr 2, 2005
Maryland
id send him a money order for 5,000 now he will ship the car to you trust me!!!!!!

also forget that dude

i have a swiss bank account if you deposit 2,500 dollars i will ship you a clean 97 twin turbo supra with 6 speed transmission... pm me for details!!!!

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
The guy is NOT going to reply back to you with a phone number. You will NEVER see the car in person. Its an add for idiots like you to believe because he knows you dont know any better.

If it seems too good to be true, 99.9% of the time most likely it is.

P.S sorry for calling you an idiot, but seriously dude.....WAKE UP!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
ash;1505203 said:
yeah... I thought of that too. I'm not going alone. I've got a couple of friends who are 6'4", 240 lbs and were bouncers for a few years.

Besides, i can run faster scared of anal rape than bubba can horny for pretty little white boy.:biglaugh:

new sig!

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
Here is the email i got from te link i posted above LOL

"Hi,
My 1997 Toyota Supra Turbo Sport automatic with 92000 miles is in great shape,no engine problems,damages or hidden defects. It was always garaged. I`m a single mother with 2 children because I divorced my husband. After the divorce I got this beautiful car but I don`t need it and that`s why i`m selling it so cheap. The total price is $4,900 including shipping and handling. I have recently moved to Canada after the divorce and I took the car with me, that is why i am sending it from here. The car still has US papers with a clear title so you will not have to pay any Customs taxes. The sale will be through eBay's Protection Program for our safety. Your money will be transferred to me from ebay only after you will drive, test the car and sign the contract.
Remember that time is an issue for me and I received many emails regarding the car, so please contact me to start transaction through ebay asap.

Here are some pictures from the car:

http://www.mypicx.com/12282009/supra/
http://www.mypicx.com/12282009/supraa/

Have a nice day!
Vanessa
"

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yeha, ebay doesn't do jack shit unless it's sold through them, even then they don't do jack.

Scam unless you see the car in person.

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
Wow, you know what I love about you guys? If I ever need some perspective, or my intelligence insulted, I only have to ask naive questions on SM. :biglaugh:
(I'm looking at you madsupra88, GotBoost? and Slow SC3 :icon_razz)

I figured it was probably too good to be true and I knew that when I posted my question. But I'm also not stupid enough to divulge personal or financial information to someone with a questionable email when I can't see the car or get the guy to call me.

But hey, at least Poodles got a new quote for his sig! There's nothing like having my fear of redneck anal-rape immortalized on SM, for a few weeks at least, lol.

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Ash;1506263 said:
Wow, you know what I love about you guys? If I ever need some perspective, or my intelligence insulted, I only have to ask naive questions on SM. :biglaugh:
(I'm looking at you madsupra88, GotBoost? and Slow SC3 :icon_razz)

I figured it was probably too good to be true and I knew that when I posted my question. But I'm also not stupid enough to divulge personal or financial information to someone with a questionable email when I can't see the car or get the guy to call me.

But hey, at least Poodles got a new quote for his sig! There's nothing like having my fear of redneck anal-rape immortalized on SM, for a few weeks at least, lol.
Don't worry he'll go all ADD see something shiney and change it soon ;)