Looking at 7MGTE Ignition Alternatives...

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
joliroger4;1577379 said:
The MSD DIS-4 works great, but is an expensive option. It will work with the stock ignitor, you interrupt the ignition wires between the ignitor and coils. You will however need two tach adapters as well as aftermarket coils/high tension cords. I run one in my truck and ran one in my grey car. Since I went standalone in my grey car I now run two in that car because the car is now direct fire and needs 6 channels. I also have an exra on the shelf for when it comes time to go standalone/direct fire ignition on the truck.

Good to see you kept the truck!!!! Love that thing.

CajunKenny;1577458 said:
Fairly certain it's either fuel or spark related.

On my last dyno session, I gained 5 hp and 5 tq by increasing fp 5 psi. Prior to the adjustment, fp was set per the TSRM. Even with the increase, my power curves showed signs of a problem. They were wavey and dipped a bit.

The results of raising the fp left me scratching my head a bit. I have a built fuel system and certainly don't have a shortage of fuel. I plan on playing with fp a little bit more and gapping my plugs down to ~25 thou and see what that results.

Here's my dyno sheets for reference. You can see where power starts to suffer at the higher boost level.

Do you feel it misfire? My car is a distinct miss that can be felt and herd. Only when the boost is high.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Nosechunks;1577883 said:
Do you feel it misfire? My car is a distinct miss that can be felt and herd. Only when the boost is high.

Yes, and just as you described. In the lower dyno sheet that I posted, I felt and heard that dip in power. It has happened everytime I tried to exceed ~15.5 psi.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Try gapping down to .020' and see if you still get it, Thats what im running. I Just made a pass in my car and it didnt break up at all. I have noticed the first run goes clean but the second hot run it breaks up. I think im going to try a 180F-170F degree thermostat to keep the motor a little cooler. Maybe the cooler stat will help shed some heatsoak. I have a stock 190F stat in there now.

Everyone is running stock ignition besides Joliroger, Toyotanos and paradox? There has to be others.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
MSD makes really good products, but I haven't seen anybody here say it worked for them on their 7M. It isn't just the CD, you would want the better coil, like in the picture.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Flywest;1578947 said:
I'm running an Autronic Direct Fire CDI 500R (http://www.aussieimportsllc.com/CDI.htm) on stock coils with NGK wires. Plugs are gapped 0.28 if I remember correctly. Also running standalone Autronic SM2. Made 433 whp @ 18 PSI, 7MGTE with GT35R .82 A/R with supporting mods. Been running that for several years, no breakup.

BigBad92Turbo;1578966 said:
Was running a Tec2 which has GM coils on it gapped to .20 and was able to hold 28psi no problem with the SP71gtq turbo kit.

I just tried looking into both of those options and they seem like theres even less backround support for them then there is for the EMS 8860.

Nick M;1578969 said:
MSD makes really good products, but I haven't seen anybody here say it worked for them on their 7M. It isn't just the CD, you would want the better coil, like in the picture.

The MSD stuff looks great but its very costly. I cant say that it would be worth the cost for the box and coils. Not to mention i have 6 ignition outputs and id like to go sequential.

Isnt anyone currently using LS1/2 coils?

Flywest

May 31, 2005
Quebec , Canada
Nosechunks;1579005 said:
I just tried looking into both of those options and they seem like theres even less backround support for them then there is for the EMS 8860.

Well yeah, there aren't too many mk3 owners running around with Autronic SM2 or SM4 standalone but afaik it's like to the Motec M600. The 500R box doesn't come with it but it's a nice completement to the whole kit. I'm not sure if it works without the standalone though.

Last edited:

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Alright Ken- here's my graph. Pulled very cleanly and didn't break up, using .028

p1581217_1.jpg

The hump you see at ~4000 is the wastegate opening up. I have my ebc set to begin opening the gate at 15.5 psi, and that's what you see there.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
^Good job! I saw that you did that on 92 pump gas at 17 psi. That's REALLY nice! That's the highest octane we get here. Any chance of getting a shot of your afr's?

Now if we can just get them to update the Horse Power list! :)

Well, there are a few of us working on getting the MK4 VVTI's installed so hopefully one of us will post up good findings with that. I'm going to try to start on mine this weekend. I've been really busy with work which means less Supra Time. :(

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Ask and ye shall receive!

p1581610_1.jpg

As you can see it's really rich, but I would rather build some safety into the tune. We actually made 425, but pulled timing in case I run into bad gas in the future. (too bad that doesn't count towards the HP list ;) )

I don't know if it's the igniter, or the coils, or both being together, but this ignition system is proving to be VERY robust! There's a local guy who's running an IS300 with a built 2JZ-GE with E-85 and the only time they ran into problems was when they were around 34psi on an 80mm turbo!

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Used coils, wires, and ignitor. I have spent a total of $135 (shipping included) on my ignition system. (Ebay FTW!) But once I start to see problems I will likely be buying all new coils and wires, though.
The only catch is that you need to be running standalone to use the DH61 ignitor. You can run a 3KGT unit too, but the DH61 drives the factory (turbo) tach correctly.
I'm not sure on the dwell, the AEM EMS I have has an dwell wizard that does all of that for me- they have the option for the 2JZ-GE coils built into the AEMPro tuning software. I'll check to see if I can access that data tomorrow after work.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
toyotanos;1581610 said:
Ask and ye shall receive!

As you can see it's really rich, but I would rather build some safety into the tune. We actually made 425, but pulled timing in case I run into bad gas in the future. (too bad that doesn't count towards the HP list ;) )

I don't know if it's the igniter, or the coils, or both being together, but this ignition system is proving to be VERY robust! There's a local guy who's running an IS300 with a built 2JZ-GE with E-85 and the only time they ran into problems was when they were around 34psi on an 80mm turbo!

Thanks! Your afr's are nice and steady. What were your afr's at for the 425 pull?

I'm really glad you posted that because our highest octane here is 92 and I've been quite reserved to push the boost with that. My plan was to stop at 17psi just as you did. How many degrees of timing are being pulled and where?

You're definitely not experiencing break up like some of us are. Regarding your COP's, did you modify them in any way to ensure that they're reaching far enough down into the head for proper plug connection? I think that's why mine weren't working...

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
They went up into the 11.4 area at peak power, but I don't know how much timing he pulled. I know I could have made it work with that, but I'm fairly picky when it comes to my engine so I had him back off on fuel and timing for safety/reliability. If you followed my build, you'll see that I had the engine out to replace some bearings because I wasn't happy with the oil pressure (3 days before the dyno!).

As for modding the coils, I had to shave a rib or two off of the coil I put on #6 plug so it wouldn't rub on the head/possibly cause it to crack/short out. I also ground a fair amount off of the plastic near the bolt hole on #6 so it would sit straight. The only think I did for height was buy a brand new set of boots for the coils (the blue ones) and rocked it!

Other info- I'm running Denso K20R-U plugs, out of the box, from the dealer (my work) so they are NOT JIS length plugs like the 7M has stock, which means they are shorter than the originals! I also have a set of SK20R-11's that I may run, but they will need to be gapped down to .8mm from 1.1mm. I could see them running out of spark with that gap :aigo:

Edit: I don't know if it applies to you, but in MN we have Ethanol in all of our gasoline. My tuner said that Cali fuel doesn't seem to hold off knock as well as our. Just something you may want to know!

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I had to shave mine as well...

One more thing. You're running the stock Intake right? So, did you have any problem with the spark plug wires and/or coil wires as far as clearance goes? I had to break part of the coil connectors to get them to be able to plug in all the way. They were hitting part of the head.

In particular, the plugs that go on to the coils and also the throttle linkage bracket that's by #5 and #6.

Actually, do you have time for a quick call? I'm an at&t user so it could be a free call! :)

EDIT: Scratch the stock intake comment. You're FF. Puh... ;)

Last edited: