Looking at 7MGTE Ignition Alternatives...

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
With plugs gapped at .028, I'm experiencing spark blow out at around 15.5-16 psi. To combat this, I'm considering three things.

1. 2JZGE COP's (already have sitting on the bench)

2. http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-43001-ak001.php

3. Close the gap on the plugs; but, don't want to sacrifice a smooth idle

I've seen folks running an MSD setup.

What other options are out there and if you're running an aftermarket ignition, which one and how has it worked for you?

Thanks!

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I have had very good luck with my 2JZ-GE VVTI ignition system.
I am using AEM and am am using the DH61 igniter that was matched to these exact coils too, and I have not had any issues yet.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Im also looking for an ignition upgrade. Running standalone experiencing breakup at 19psi with iridium NGK plugs and a .020 gap.

Was thinking LS1 coils. Igniter built in but finding a place to mount them would be tight.

Post your high power ignition systems!

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
Kenny,
I've been following your thread on FTT with interest. I'll probably have some questions for you later. As for ignition, I have the HKS DLI. I did back to back dyno runs with it plugged and unplugged and there was no difference at 19 psi a few years back.

I'm not sure that it actually does much but sit there with the little red light on. Stock gap on plugs, too. I didn't have the Pro at the time to get good logs, but after I get some minor issues resolved, I'll probably do the test again.

My personal opinion is that the COP is probably a better option.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
CPT Furious;1574020 said:
Kenny,
I've been following your thread on FTT with interest. I'll probably have some questions for you later. As for ignition, I have the HKS DLI. I did back to back dyno runs with it plugged and unplugged and there was no difference at 19 psi a few years back.

I'm not sure that it actually does much but sit there with the little red light on. Stock gap on plugs, too. I didn't have the Pro at the time to get good logs, but after I get some minor issues resolved, I'll probably do the test again.

My personal opinion is that the COP is probably a better option.

Fire your questions away. I'm no expert; but, I will certainly help where I can.

That is great info on the DLI. I think you just saved me about $400!!!! :)

Thanks for the post and good luck with the MAFT Pro!

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
CajunKenny;1573722 said:
^What's your idle like at that gap?

Idle is for the most part very smooth, though i do catch an occasional slight miss. The car actually runs pretty well but still breaks up at times at 18-19 psi.

Im running standalone with a Mitsubishi 3000GT 3 channel ignitor, stock coils and 2.25ms Dwell.

I dont want to waste time with a DLI or ignition box, it seems the problem is the coils just dont have the output capability. A booster is just going to shorten there already long used life and ill have to buy new coils down the road anyway.

LS coils seem to be the perfect solution but again, no idea where id put them.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
LS coils...2JZGE coils...are the same thing Mike. Both VVTI. I was just wondering if they'd have enough output by themselves.

I'll try them and if I still have break-up, I'll add the DH61 Igniter that toyotanos is runnng to see what that does.

Still waiting for some MSD guys to chime in. :)

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
CajunKenny;1575839 said:
LS coils...2JZGE coils...are the same thing Mike. Both VVTI. I was just wondering if they'd have enough output by themselves.

I'll try them and if I still have break-up, I'll add the DH61 Igniter that toyotanos is runnng to see what that does.

Still waiting for some MSD guys to chime in. :)

Ah, I see. I've only seen one car with MSD but I forgot who it was..

sm_photo_missing.jpg

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Kenny- are you running the stock igniter? Before I did anything to my car I had read that the AEM (my EMS) had problems managing the multiplex ignition system, so I did away with it before firing up on AEM. Perhaps you're running into a less severe version of that? Just a thought.
Anyways, I have had my car (rough tune) up to 19 psi and haven't broken up yet. Only problem I ever had was my fault- not setting up the dwell correctly. After I ran the AEM wizard it hasn't given me a problem since.
In 2 weeks I'll have some dyno information and a tune, so we can see just how good this system is!

Last edited:

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
whitemike;1575824 said:
What's wrong with the 2JZ-GE coils? I hear they're very good. I just got my set in the mail today, Kenny.

Ive herd there good aswell, but cost is a factor also. LSX coils can be had relatively cheap, and are internal ignitor so easy to install.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
toyotanos;1575854 said:
Kenny- are you running the stock igniter? Before I did anything to my car I had read that the AEM (my EMS) had problems managing the multiplex ignition system, so I did away with it before firing up on AEM. Perhaps you're running into a less severe version of that? Just a thought.
Anyways, I have had my car (rough tune) up to 19 psi and haven't broken up yet. Only problem I ever had was my fault- not setting up the dwell correctly. After I ran the AEM wizard it hasn't given me a problem since.
In 2 weeks I'll have some dyno information and a tune, so we can see just how good this system is!

Yep, still running the stock igniter. I may start sourcing the one you're running.

Definitely let us know how your dyno session goes. I'd like to see a sheet so I can see what the tq curve tells us.

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
I also had the MSD DIS 4 before trying the HKS DLI. No luck there either. I could run fine with the supplied bypass in, but as soon as you cracked the throttle with the bypass out it would stumble all over the place and not get past 5 mph. Now the tech support was awesome and I worked with one guy with wiring diagrams and we went through each wire one at a time and still no luck. Even tried the tach adapters which was extra cost and still no good news. In the end I got a full refund, but it was frustrating.
I think a member here had it working at some point. Jay or Jeff in Colorado Springs, maybe? White car.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I'm running a haltech 3 channel ignitor with stock coils, 3.0ms charge time stock coils and NGK coppers @ 28thou gap, (haltech e6x standalone) no spark blow out issues or any ignition issues, peaked as high as 17psi on the dyno and power/torque outputs were very steady. made 411rwhp @ 16psi on this setup, car boosts perfectly. i also re-gapped my CPS to 12thou for the home and trigger pickup's.

Are you sure its spark blow out and not another issue?

Idles smoother & better than factory every did. i had heaps of issues with the stock ignitor, the multiplexing system is known for being problematic. you could design a logic circuit with gates to trigger a 3 channel with the TCCS. i designed a circuit to use the stock ignitor with my haltech before i decided it wasn't worth the potential issues.

joliroger4

Flying Dutchman Pilot
Apr 4, 2005
New Jersey
www.geocities.com
The MSD DIS-4 works great, but is an expensive option. It will work with the stock ignitor, you interrupt the ignition wires between the ignitor and coils. You will however need two tach adapters as well as aftermarket coils/high tension cords. I run one in my truck and ran one in my grey car. Since I went standalone in my grey car I now run two in that car because the car is now direct fire and needs 6 channels. I also have an exra on the shelf for when it comes time to go standalone/direct fire ignition on the truck.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
paradox616;1577012 said:
Are you sure its spark blow out and not another issue?

Fairly certain it's either fuel or spark related.

On my last dyno session, I gained 5 hp and 5 tq by increasing fp 5 psi. Prior to the adjustment, fp was set per the TSRM. Even with the increase, my power curves showed signs of a problem. They were wavey and dipped a bit.

The results of raising the fp left me scratching my head a bit. I have a built fuel system and certainly don't have a shortage of fuel. I plan on playing with fp a little bit more and gapping my plugs down to ~25 thou and see what that results.

Here's my dyno sheets for reference. You can see where power starts to suffer at the higher boost level.

p1577458_1.jpg

p1577458_2.jpg