Look what EBAY crap did!!!! Now Code 24! Pic Inside!

supersupramk3

average joe
Mar 29, 2009
sacramento, CA
Ebay crap intake filter tore apart and thrashed my afm. Honey comb is ruined now and is throwing a code 24. Question = Will the pushed in honeycomb cause the error code 24? Secondly, is it ok to just yank out the honeycomb?

Attachments

• 01 290..JPG
    01 290..JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 01 291..JPG
    01 291..JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 125

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The honeycomb is there for a reason. Toyota didnt' decide to spend money because it looks neat. It straightens the air for an accurate measurement. Seems like 24 is the air temp sensor. I don't know if you can pull it out and put in a new one. I suppose you could if can do the electronics. Meaning the temp sensor.

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I dont think you could even buy a new honeycomb from Toyota. + with the prices of stock afms would be better to just get a good used one.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
That is insane. Just get some compressed air in a can a blow into the two holes in the black box. I am talking about the electronics. Hopefully that will cure your problem. I believe you can still use the honeycomb as long as it don't have any restriction.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
You need a new AFM housing (with honeycomb). I'd also get a QUALITY air filter. I personally prefer the AEM Dry-Flow

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
The honeycomb is incredibly important..

you can upgrade to a Lex AFM (I have two for sale), but for the mean time, just find another at the junkyard or on the classifieds on here, they shouldn't be too hard to come across..

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
jetjock;1582591 said:
What Nick and Moy said. And the code 24 has nothing to do with either the screen or the Karman sensor...

If code 24 has nothing to do with the karman vortex then where is the code coming from. The air temp sensor is inside of the karman.

Last edited:

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Code 24 is indicative of a short to open or ground in the air intake temperature sensor circuit (pin THA on the 5 pin connector at the AFM). It indicates a fault in the circuit, sensor, or ECU. Being that SOMETHING smacked into the honeycomb, I'd be willing to bet that the electronics got messed up.

I would personally buy a used, known working, AFM with electronics.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
89supracrazy;1582542 said:
That is insane. Just get some compressed air in a can a blow into the two holes in the black box. I am talking about the electronics. Hopefully that will cure your problem. I believe you can still use the honeycomb as long as it don't have any restriction.

No.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
IwantMKIII;1582705 said:

To elaborate on this...

The Karman Vortex AFM uses air frequency, as well as air temperature, to determine the amount of air entering the engine. The "honeycomb" straights out the incoming air flow, which contains mini eddies called vortices. Once the air is straightened out, it encounters a vortex generator, which is the triangular looking piece of black plastic behind the comb. There is a small gap behind that triangle, and then two slots that go up into the electronics on top of the housing. The gap behind the vortex generator causes the air to fold in and create vortices, which are metered by the electronics. The electronics have a photosensitive diode (I believe it's a diode... I'm going with it, and will correct later on if wrong), as well as an LED and foil mirror. The light from the LED is reflected to the photosensitive diode. When vortices come into contact with the bottom of the mirror, it causes oscillations in the mirror (vibrates up and down essentially). These vibrations distort the light pattern, which then cause the diode to send a frequency (voltage over time) to the ECU.

That's how it works.

If you want cliff notes...

The honeycomb is needed to straighten out the incoming flow of air, or else the distortions in the air will cause a faulty signal to go to the ECU, which tells it a different amount of air is entering the engine than what really is.

So... you need a new housing and honeycomb

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
89supracrazy;1582654 said:
If code 24 has nothing to do with the karman vortex then where is the code coming from. The air temp sensor is inside of the karman.

A matter of semantics. I meant code 24 has nothing to do with the sensor or circuitry used for measuring airflow. Put another way what you're calling the Karman sensor I refer to as the AFM...

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Look, go by a used AFM and be done with it. They are for sale everywhere on here. In fact there is a 1991 part out of the complete car. Go talk to the guy and buy the afm.

As for the filter.....you bought it off ebay, what do you expect. Go to Advanced auto parts or Auto Zone or Napa...something and buy a KnN filter. Or order an Apexi Dry flow. DONT ORDER OFF EBAY....

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
airhead04;1582843 said:
Go to Advanced auto parts or Auto Zone or Napa...something and buy a KnN filter. Or order an Apexi Dry flow. DONT ORDER OFF EBAY....

No. Do not buy a K&N. Oiled filters FTL. Especially when you've got a very sensitive AFM just behind it!

Buy an Apex-i, or AEM dryflow.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
lewis15498;1582735 said:
Ebay is a marketplace where individuals can buy and sell items, new and used, reputable and knock off. Its not ebay's fault you dont know better than to buy cheaply made knockoff parts. I'm so sick of hearing this.

AMEN - Whether you are buying Crap or Quality, they are all marketed on Ebay... There are several AEM Dryflow setups listed on Ebay... Summit Racing has an Ebay Store, you can find, Greddy, HKS, AEM, ARP and on and on and on listed on Ebay... You have to be a knowledgeable buyer, watch how the item is listed, how many sales and the feedback rating of the seller etc... If you use Paypal you have 3 levels of protection if you get screwed (Ebay, Paypal and your CC company) Quit blaming Ebay for the decision to buy a cheap part, if one filter is listed for $4.99 and the other listed for $45... I would imagine that there is more than the name being paid for in the difference of price...

As far as the results, I concur, replace the entire AFM unit and hope nothing made it to the compressor wheel of the turbo...

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
jetjock;1582769 said:
A matter of semantics. I meant code 24 has nothing to do with the sensor or circuitry used for measuring airflow. Put another way what you're calling the Karman sensor I refer to as the AFM...

Yeah. I figured that is what you was getting at after I thought about it.

supersupramk3

average joe
Mar 29, 2009
sacramento, CA
This incident happened when the little chrome piece that is held on by rubber cement became unglued and was sucked into the afm....luckily the honeycomb was there or else my turbo would have been toasted also. This is also a lex afm, I cleared the code and per TSRM did the test which tested out to specs...so im assuming the electronics are okay, but probably getting a bad reading due to the dented honeycomb.