Long distance Supra driving

rob21a48422

1JZ+Holset=Go Fast!!!
Sep 7, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan
www.myspace.com
Thanks for your time to whomever sees this. I live in Michigan and plan on buying a MK3 Supra in the next couple of weeks. As they are rare here in Michigan, I expect to probably fly to California or Florida to get one. I'm going to have a long drive back to Michigan in an unfamiliar car and had a few questions about prepping it to ensure a trouble-free drive home. Obviously, the condition of the car I get will go a long way in determining reliability but my main concern is HEAT. What things can I do temporarily for the drive home to ensure the car stays COOL the whole way?? Will removing the headlight covers help? What about going as far as removing the bumper just for the trip?? Would flushing the coolant and replacing it with a 80%/20% (water/coolant) mix do any good for the trip (I was always told water had a better cooling potential than AF, but AF was needed for anti-corrosive reasons and the obvious cold weather reasons)? I'm just looking for a way to avoid any overheating or unnecesary heat buildup during the trip. I know some of this seems like maybe overkill but I hate the thought of being stranded. I'm a mechanic and while I've never had a Supra, I've done quite a bit of research on the car to this point and feel comfortable driving one cross-country. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all and I look forward to being a Supra owner soon as well.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
picked up the 92 in New Jersey and drove to MS 1900 miles with only one problem, 130mph ticket just before I got home. Research the car/owner etc before you buy. I spoke with the owner before I flew up there.

Good luck with new supra

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
honestly youd be better off getting it shipped. i have bought 2 cars from CA - 1 drove back, 1 trailored. things you need to take into account
1. plane ticket
2. gas
3. food
4. lodging
5. the cost of your personal time

the first one overheated due to the PO having the undercar splash shield to the front crash support thus directing air under the car and not through the rad.

the second one was trailored back. same price or cheaper plus, less worry and you dont rack up the miles as quick

just my 2 psi

Blackfin

Beach Bum
Jun 16, 2005
John's Pass, Florida
A stock Supra in good condition does not overheat. They were literally Toyota's top of the line car and are a wonderful vehicle for extended driving. A coolant system check, fluid replacement (oils and coolant), bad head gasket test and reasonable expectations are recommended.

On MKIII Supras, overheating is very often a symptom of a bad head gasket (BHG). Stay away from any Supra with any indicaton of current overheating problems unless the price is greatly discounted. If you have done research you should know that the MKIII Supra is particularly susceptible to BHG. Nothing will stop a BHG car from overheating except for frequent replenishment of coolant as a short-term measure in some cases and a proper head gasket replacement that should go beyond Toyota service manual recommendations. There is much available information on this and the gist is a higher tensile strength bolt (ARP head bolts or studs) and a higher head bolt torque is required. A metal head gasket (MHG) or a composite head gasket may be used, The primary factors in this choice is head and block surface preparation, which needs to be very smooth for a MHG, and the level of performance upgrades you may want to pursue. If you are not planning to heavily modify the car, a composite gasket and propoer cleaning of the deck and milling of the head should work fine if used with the ARP bolts and higher torque.

I would suggest that you test for a bad headgasket prior ro buying the car since you are looking to make a long drive immediately after purchase. You may want to specify this test as a requirement for vehicle inspection if you plan on hiring a professional inspector to check out the car. You can also buy a test kit at most any automotive store and do this yourself.

A modified Supra may be more of a challenge to size up. Turbo cars, especially highly modified ones, tend to produce more heat unless the cooling system is also upgraded.

Again, the car must be in good shape and tested for head gasket / cooling system issues given that you want to make a long drive and probably want it to be enjoyable and trouble free. Good cars typically have had less owners and the last owner has had it for a while and is replacing it for reasons that do not indicate a problem with the car. Ideally, the car you want to buy would be a one owner car that looks like new and is owned by someone who obviously has taken care of it. These are becoming very hard to find but are worth the wait and additional cost. You should expect to pay at least $6,000for a nice MKIII without issues and a reasonably well documented history. If you locate a car, in the Tampa area of Florida, I would be willing to provide a cursory check for you. I am sure other members of this forum would also offer you the same courtesy.

Have reasonable expectations, make good diligence and have good luck.

Blackfin

Beach Bum
Jun 16, 2005
John's Pass, Florida
^^^^ Yes

I have received a couple of these plus ones and it always makes me feel good. Thanks.

Are they good for anything else? Such as a discount at Wendys. :icon_bigg

GuNDeZZZ

Was dgilman360
Sep 28, 2006
Lakeland Florida
Blackfin said:
^^^^ Yes

I have received a couple of these plus ones and it always makes me feel good. Thanks.

Are they good for anything else? Such as a discount at Wendys. :icon_bigg

i think u can turn them in at chucky cheeses for tokens...... iirc:biglaugh:

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
You can remove the rear weather seal along the back of the hood area by the wipers, it will allow for the hot air to escape, but when you turn your vents on it will be blowing warm air from the engine bay. I would flush the coolant system, and bring a few jugs of water, and possibly a new 180 degree thermostat in case. The engine under covers do help allot in keeping the air flowing in the right places.

rob21a48422

1JZ+Holset=Go Fast!!!
Sep 7, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan
www.myspace.com
Thanks for the information so far. I get the whole head gasket thing and if it doesn't already have a MHG and ARP studs those are the first 2 things I'm adding to the car once back in MI. The reason I'm asking the question is because on a nearly 20 year old car everything may be fine at the time of sale but 2400 miles of driving in about 2 days will show the weak point in the cooling system, be it an old hose, waterpump on it's last legs, or whatever it may be. I'm simply looking for a way to ensure I don't find the weak point during the drive and figured simply lowering the average engine bay temps for the trip would go a long way. Again thanks for the help. When I do decide on a car and location having someone from this forum look it over for me would be a HUGE added benefit. I'd be willing to pay them for thier time and help if needed. When I do decide on a location I'll post it on here to see who may be around that area. Again, thanks for any and all advice. It's forums like this and the support they provide that make Supra owning all that more enjoyable!!!

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
There's alot of Supra oners along the way from either Fl. or Cali. and I think most would give you a hand if you need it.

tomjan87

Apr 18, 2005
Madison, WI
I bought mine in florida and drove back to wisconsin. I didnt have any problems, 17 hours in a day, but......

I dontk now if this was from driving or not but i developed a tick from the valve shims after driving that long,

Like i said i dont know if it was from driving all that way and it being hot, or what, but maybe take a break every 5 hours or so and let it cool down, i drove straight, like 10 min stop twice, so just something to consider.

but otherwise, it was very smooth sailing and a great ride.

Joe