LOL! That isn't supposed to happen!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I'm positive my car won't let me do that. If I'm going more than five miles an hour, it won't go into first..........but I've never missed a gear while racing........ever!!! I am the shiznitzs of shifting..........:biglaugh:

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I saw this happen to a turbo CRX race car back when I was an active member of Honda-tech.com about 2 years ago. The engine revved to something close to 11,000 rpm and still held together.
I've read that he shifted to 1st instead of 3rd due to them ditching the 1st gear lockout but most said the transmission actually broke and locked up. That's not the first time it has happened.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I've seen this happen at the track more than once. Hell, I've seen it more than once from one guy - my old room mate did it to his DSM at least three times until one of the DSM vets explained how to shift the thing properly.

He didn't quite lift off the rear end, but he did hammer the front end down hard enough to trigger the left turn signal and the windshield wipers. :) Log read straight across 9k RPM for several seconds, so I'm assuming it was well above that and the software simply ignores anything above 9k.

His engine & tranny held together, too, still running even now, years later.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Clueless;1177245 said:
one of the biggest things to worry about is floating valves

Yeap. But the engines are built with way better valve springs than stock and bigger cams. Like I said, the Honda's ive seen do this will usually rev to 10500 or 11000 rpm, on accident of course. They probably shift at 9000-9500 anyway.