Locks / Key Issue? + minor things

Brady

Feb 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.nbhq.net
So as you can probably tell I'm freshmeat to the boards here, don't know much about the mechanics of cars but I know what I like and thats the supra. So, heres my issue(s).

The 2 keys I got from the seller of my lovely mk3 are somewhat worn, I was / am concerned about preserving the locks so I decided to get a new key cut off the VIN #. Got the key and it feels very sticky, mostly in the ignition, it even wants to stay in the start position and overcrank unless I move it back over. I put some WD40 in both the ignition and the driver door, the door is workin better now but the ignition is still sticky.

And as for a completely unrelated issue:

I get this intermittent idling problem where the car will start on like 1-2 cranks and then idle at like 300-200 than roughly decend and stall out. It only does that once and a while. I can't say if its happend in hot weather yet because I'ts been nothin but cold over here. I jus got a new OEM HG and some other engine work and the problem still arises, though its a little more infrequent.

ANy help is greatly appreciated.

irocznissan

May 28, 2006
nj
welcome... and as for the key itll wear into place all new keys give problems... is ur car n/a or boosted?

Brady

Feb 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.nbhq.net
boosted,

so your thinking it will jus start to get along with the logs and ignition and ish?

what about keyless entry? i know the '92s have it, I have a '90 but i was thinkin i could spare the locks and not risk keying the handle or something :p

just a thought,

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
I'd say to try putting some (= a small amount) white lithium grease or some other grease on the key and then inserting it into the lock and turning it a couple times....but I don't know if the grease would even reach the tumblers...or if it would mess up the electronics. hmmmmm.....

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
billspreston01 said:
I'd say to try putting some (= a small amount) white lithium grease or some other grease on the key and then inserting it into the lock and turning it a couple times....but I don't know if the grease would even reach the tumblers...or if it would mess up the electronics. hmmmmm.....
i don't see it messing up electronics since it can be used on electronics

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
WD40 is a good penetrator but I don't think it leaves enough of a residue to coat the parts and make them slide properly. They do make graphite lock lubricant that's basically a liquid/gel/plasma of some sort and when it dries it just leaves graphite on the moving parts. I just rebuilt mine and I used white lithium grease and they're working fine. You could always tear the covers off the steering wheel hub and get as much stuff away from the ignition as possible. Then basically fill the lock with the lubricant of your choice. I just stuck the little hose into the flapper door thingy and sprayed until it filled the lock. Then I put the key in and turned it a 20 times (out of the car...pass. door lock)

(I take no responsibility for broken parts) hahaha

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
bluemax said:
Just be glad that your ignition lock still works.
My Corolla key works on my Supra ignition, as I found out by mistake one day.
yea found out my vw corrado key works on my buddy's vw jetta one day when he left his keys at home and had the car in a gerage being worked on. so he know's not to get on my bad side lol just kinding

noremacsupra

beginner
Jan 29, 2007
Los Angeles
Just sand it down a little bit..so it would fit exactly...or get a better key from a local key maker and ask them to sand it more when making the key
>>>>