Locked out of the car

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
I am so incredibly frustrated right now. I had my dad come over tonite to help me diagnose why the 7M wont start after rebuild. I get everything ready and hook the battery up. I was sort of messing with the distributor making sure the rotor was at #1 when I started smelling a burning wire smell. I go to open the doors and they are locked. My only key is inside and there is smoke coming out of the door handles and inside the cabin. I disconnect teh battery and stand and make sure there is no fire. Dad gets here and we manage to open the hatch with a long rod with a coat hanger welded to it.

So I climb inside and I can not open the doors. The electric locks will not respond. I can not manually flip the switch to the unlock position and the key will not unlock the doors from the outside. The electric windows will not respond.

Can someone tell me what has happened? I mean you should atleast manually be able to open the doors!!!

I cant believe I wasted another evening dealing with stupid crap. I swear its like I am working on a damn Ford!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
So you can't open either doors???? Looks like you gotta take the door panels off and find the short...damn what the hell is with supras and fire...they are turning into the fiero (sp)!

I don't think the panels can come off with the doors closed so you may have to destroy it..not too sure but I think thats the only way your gonna get the door open.

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
Yeah this is so damn ridiculous! I can not open the doors in any way you think you could if your inside or out of the car.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
you may be able to pop the latch from the inside of the door by going down through the window opening. If you can roll down the windows and shove a wedge in the window slot to get some access and visibilty, you MIGHT be able to find a way in.

Once you get it open, dont close it again until you get the panel off and can look inside...kind of a duh! but just a reminder.

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
Like I said I got inside the car. The doors will not unlock with the switches or the key from outside. How can you not unlock the doors with the key or manually switching the lever to the unlock position???

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
is the battery disconnected?

if it is, no wonder the power locks won't work... if it's still connected, disconnect it and use the manual switch as if it's shorting the solenoid is fighting you...

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
The battery is disconnected and nothing will budge. This car has sealed itself forever I think. Idont understand how you can not manualy get into or out of this car!

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
Thanks, I gotta figure out how to get into the doors tonite. MY friend is coming over and we are going to take the top off and try and get the seats out. This has to be the stupidest thing I have ever encountered working on cars.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Have you tried what I suggested? Go in through the window track. I had a lock problem on my RX7. It would randomly lock me out and not even moving the lock latch inside would let me open the door. I put a wedge in the door where the window comes up and fished around in the latch area until I found the lever that opens the door, then pulled it with a coat hanger with a hook on the end of it. It allowed me to pop the door open so I could take it apart and find the problem (in my case a rod that had come out of its endclip). Its worth a try man.

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
Well I got in there finally tonite. The seats we unbolted and took out of the top. then I had to wrestle the door panels out of the way. I finally was able to get a long screw driver on the bar attached to the lock and my friend turned the key and I pried on the bar at the same time and got both doors open. The connector to the electric piston thing was completely melted and both are stuck in the up position. I popped the rods off each one and now everything works manually again.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
You might be able to gently pry the plastic faceplate off inside where you unlock the door and where the electric switch is. That will give you some small access and with a flashlight you can then see which rod is preventing you from unlocking.
With your dad gently working it outside to unlock and you working it on the inside you should get the door open.
I suspect the solenoid is holding you up. Otherwise see if the window comes down and you might be able to pull the panel over the lip some but its real risky.

Don't get frustrated, walk away otherwise some really dumb things happen.

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
gaboonviper85;1002267 said:
So you can't open either doors???? Looks like you gotta take the door panels off and find the short...damn what the hell is with supras and fire...they are turning into the fiero (sp)!

this is why I have a big fire extinguisher in my car and one in my garage.lets just hope I don't ever have to use it