locating a short to ground on stop light circuit

carfanatic89

May 21, 2008
Texas
I have a 87 supra na. I noticed that my brake lights weren't comming on when I applied the brakes. So did some researching on here and thought the tail light failure module was the problem.

I opened it out and on of the soldered connections was burned and had a gap. I resolded it and pluged it in, the lights brake lights worked for a second then the stop fuse popped. Now I still have no braked lights, the running light work fine, but still no stop light. Im pretty sure its a short to ground. As that is all it could be.

My question is whats the most likely spot for a short. I've removed the plastic trim in the back and checked the wires. I also looked at the light sockets and their fine. If anyone has had to locate a short on the brake light light circuit you input would be appreicated. This is kinda a big deal because this is my daily driver and i have about an hour drive to work and back normally at night.

Valverde

May 10, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
DIY: Tail Lamp Failure Sensor Bypass GET YOUR TAIL AND/OR BRAKE LIGHTS BACK!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently had a problem with my tail lamp failure sensor. Previous threads have commented on how much the sensor causes problems, but I couldnt find a thread explaining how to remove it instead of replacing it. I wasnt willing to shell out the extra $$ at the stealership, or risk getting the wrong sensor at the salvage yard, so here is my solution, I hope its helpful. Feel free to add anything I may have forgotten.

WARNING: This modification will disable the orange Tail Lamp Failure Warning Light on your dashboard. If this is unacceptable to you, you must purchase a replacement sensor. If you are not comfortable attempting this modification have someone who does do it. I will not be held responsible for any damage or bodily injury that is directly or indirectly a result of this modification. Proceed at your own risk.

1) Locate and remove sensor.
The sensor is located under the drivers tail light. Unclip it from the body and then unplug it.

2) Bypass the tail light circuit.
Connect the tail light signal wire (Green) to the tail light wire (Green w/ Red Stripe). I reccomend using wire tap in squeeze connectors that way you dont have to cut any wires.

3) Bypass the brake light circuit.
Connect the brakelight signal wire (Green w/ White Stripe) to the brake light wire (Red w/ Blue stripe) and the the 3rd brake light wire (Red w/ White Stripe). Again all three of these wires are to be connected together.

4) Throw away your broken Tail Lamp Failure Sensor
Do not plug your sensor back in. Doing so will cause the annoying orange lamp failure warning light on your dash to stay on. Leave it unplugged ant the light will stay off.

5) Test your work
Turn on your lights and make sure your tail lights work properly. Have a friend step on the brake pedal, and make sure your brake lights work properly as well. Dont forget to check the Third (spoiler) brake light.

Now you should have all your brake and tail lights back, no thanks to that stupid sensor. Everything should work as it did before your sensor failed, however now when a bulb blows out your dash warning light wont come on.

Best of luck.

FROM LEWIS15498.

carfanatic89

May 21, 2008
Texas
I tried the mod, no luck on the driver side the inside bulb was bright and the out side was dim. and the opposite on the passenger side. They stayed on for about 20 seconds and then fuse blew.

Valverde

May 10, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
carfanatic89;1476537 said:
I tried the mod, no luck on the driver side the inside bulb was bright and the out side was dim. and the opposite on the passenger side. They stayed on for about 20 seconds and then fuse blew.

Need to check out ground wires.

carfanatic89

May 21, 2008
Texas
ok I cleaned the grounds and when I did the mod before I just used jumper wires. Well I decided to do the full mod and remove the failure box as a possible problem alltogether.

As of now I have Green and Green w/ Red. And Green w/ white and Red w/ blue.

I got the running lights working and the stop lights hooked up. Well theres a problem with the wire for the third brake light. The red w/ white stripe isn't there. So thats a problem. And I decided to try them to see if just the two tail light brakes light would work and the the same problem as before. but my 3rd brake light is comming on. So im lost now. I think there is a diffence in wire colors when it comes to the 1987.

Last edited:

carfanatic89

May 21, 2008
Texas
now I got a new and even bigger problem. none of my running lights work now, the stop lights, headlights, and turn signals work, but no running lights front or back, and my guage lights dont work either. This car is confusing me I dont know what to do now, none of my fuses are blown.

carfanatic89

May 21, 2008
Texas
thanks for the info with the tewd. I didnt relize that the tsrm online had that section. All right I replaced some fuses. and Got the running lights going. I went and got new sockets for the 4 lights in the tail light. Everything worked great for about 10 mins. I thought everything was good so I put everything back together. Well the second I hit the brakes the stop fuse popped. Lets just say I wasnt to happy.

I got out my meter and found that the short isnt in the body of the car. Its somewhere in between the the fuse and the connector that plugs into the bottom of the fuse block. So its either in the wires to the pedal or the fuse block itself. I know it hard to help over the internet but I dont know how to get the fuse block out and open it up. Any tips would help as I havent had a car in bout a week.

5implejack

Mar 28, 2013
CT
ever figure this out? i think i got the same problem but with my dome lights. i got the fuse block out but idk what to look for