linear spring vs progressive

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
with my supra being a weekend warrior only i have no problem with a stiff set up. i would rather have it work great as a track suspension and suffer the consequences of driving it on the road, with the exception of ride height. Roumour has it the eibachs, as a progressively wound spring flexs and still contributes to body roll more so than the linear. can the eibachs be competitive with the linears on the track, given proper set up of tires and sways etc.?

also, i would like to confess. i am a noob. i am unfamiliar with a "spring sleeve". but have heard it has potential. im going to guess it is a coilover minus the dampener? i know the best suspension will always be a coilover. but i dont have the money, or the talent to drive the coilover and would rather learn my way up to the coilover. sorry for all the Q's.

retrospect:
can the eibach's be competive? or would linears be much better?

how hard is it, and expensive, to put together a combo with a sleeve?

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Damnit, I typed a response and hit back by accident.

So to reiterate what I said that no one had a chance to read.

Eibach springs, unless you're talking about their race springs, would not be good for a track suspension. And since you said progressive, I'm assuming you're talking about their lowering springs and those are just meant for lowering, steering driving and parking.

Spring sleeves are simply a threaded sleeve that slides over the damper and allows you to mount a 2.5"ID coil spring. This allows for a much better spring selection instead of whatever rate lowering springs come with.

Tim

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
do you have a recommendation for a spring that would work well for a full weight mk3? preferably on stiff side, but not to the point that i will have a filling fall out if i hit a bump?

would you happen to be a dealer of these sleeves? and perhaps springs also?

RyDeFly

Aug 5, 2006
Westminster, CO
By just cruising around the threads, I've come across several people saying that the MKIII will have "progressive springing" regardless of the spring's nature...

The thinking was that the lower wishbone will compress the spring non-linearly as it travels through its range of motion.

Is that correct? If so, is that an inherent downside to the double wishbone geometry, or is progressiveness purposefully designed in?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It appears to be designed in, and isn't a bad idea (from a comfort perspective)

It also helps prevent bottoming out, which is a very good thing.

Eibach makes some of the best springs in the world, but their lowering springs are more for looks and keeping the lowered car from bottoming out (or having the spring fall out, hence the progressive part) than it has to do with handling. Keep in mind that's what sells, so don't say they're bad, it's just what EVERY company does.

I've heard of the MKIV guys using the sleeves on bilsteins to great effect, so the sleeves aren't bad when used properly...