Linear Rate Springs - Options?

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Does anyone know of a linear rate spring for the Supra that isn't a full coilover kit? I've been searching high and low, and it seems like every company that once sold a set no longer offers it.

Also, something like a ground control coilover setup could be awesome, but GC doesn't make a kit for our cars, unfortunately.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
yhatzee89;2026009 said:
Have you checked this list?
I recently picked up a set of RSR race springs, but I got them lightly used

I assume you mean this list?

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?75269-Stock-Lowering-Spring-Rate-Compilation

I checked it first, and it's old enough that most of the information is no longer relevant. ST (Suspension Techniques), R*SR Sport, R*SR Race are all discontinued. Tokico and Whiteline springs I'm not sure ever existed in the first place, and if they did, they certainly aren't available now.

I called R*SR directly, and they do offer the T163D "Down" spring, but their engineers said it's a progressive rate spring.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
yhatzee89;2026027 said:
I've never seen an actual set of whiteline or tokico springs either

Amusingly, when I called Whiteline, the person on the phone said that Whiteline doesn't, and has never made springs for any car. Makes me wonder how valid the other info is....

Also, I've been calling various other manufacturers for more info about their springs, and I can compile it into a new and updated table here, looks like King springs actually are linear. I might give them a shot.

Here's a table of the information I've compiled so far (all information is what I got from calling and emailing manufacturers, I can update it as I get more information, or if new springs are found)

SpringPart NumberTypeFront Spring RateRear Spring RateFront LoweringRear LoweringNotes
RSR DownT163DProgressive504 lb/in262 lb/in1"0.6"
IntraxTOY1141Progressive1.4"1.4"Spring rates not known by manufacturer. Said to be 10% stiffer.
King StandardKTFS-24/KTRS-71Linear390 lb/in195 lb/inNoneNone
King LowKTFL-24/KTRL-71Linear420 lb/in195 lb/in1"1"
Eibach8211.140Progressive343-628 lb/in126-257 lb/in1.4"1"
H&R54689Progressive1.6"1.3"
TanabeGF210Progressive442 lb/in207 lb/in1.1"0.6"
B&G92.1.005Progressive1.5"1.5"

If you know of any more that are *currently available*, let me know and I'll do my best to get information about them.

Last edited:

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I've never even heard of King springs, but I'm kinda interested. Any idea if they are quality good springs, or are they cheap stuff? Would you happen to have the info for the King Standard springs as well?

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Silver MK3;2026055 said:
I've never even heard of King springs, but I'm kinda interested. Any idea if they are quality good springs, or are they cheap stuff? Would you happen to have the info for the King Standard springs as well?

I don't know anything about their reputation, but I do know they're an Australian company, and I think their springs are made in Australia as well. I will hopefully get more information about their "standard" springs soon, and I'll update the table once I get more info.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
emiliorescigno;2026061 said:
I don't know anything about their reputation, but I do know they're an Australian company, and I think their springs are made in Australia as well. I will hopefully get more information about their "standard" springs soon, and I'll update the table once I get more info.

Sounds good. Thanks for putting this together so we have an updated list for these things!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
emiliorescigno;2026112 said:
Just got a response from Intrax. They don't even know their own spring rates....Table Updated

That is definitely not a good sign.

Tanabe GF210 rates F/R: 7.9 / 3.7 kg/mm i believe. The numbers are straight from their site, but they don't mention units.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
suprarx7nut;2026115 said:
That is definitely not a good sign.

Tanabe GF210 rates F/R: 7.9 / 3.7 kg/mm i believe. The numbers are straight from their site, but they don't mention units.

Good catch, table updated. At the top of the table on their website, it says: "all spring rates are measured in kg/mm"

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Thanks for getting the info. I'm actually really interested in the King Standard ones. If they are the same height as the 89+ springs that are just a tad lower than the pre89 springs that would be the perfect drop for me. Have you seen anywhere that sells them in the US though?

Chris_87_Turbo

Nov 5, 2013
Princeton, TX
Once you find the rate and length and diameter of the springs Summit racing has "universal" springs. I've used them to lift vehicles before and even a few custom projects.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Well guys, thought I'd throw an update in here. I got in touch with Ground Control, and they were able to make a set of adjustable spring perches to match some Koni Yellow struts. I just got them in the mail, and they're looking pretty spiffy.

IMG_0233.jpg

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
emiliorescigno;2043409 said:
Well guys, thought I'd throw an update in here. I got in touch with Ground Control, and they were able to make a set of adjustable spring perches to match some Koni Yellow struts. I just got them in the mail, and they're looking pretty spiffy.

View attachment 75729

What springs are those and will the be offering that kit for sale now, or was it like a one off thing just for you?

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Silver MK3;2043430 said:
What springs are those and will the be offering that kit for sale now, or was it like a one off thing just for you?

Honestly I'm not sure how "custom" this was or not. I got the impression in their email that they only had a handful of kits remaining, so they are able to make them, but haven't listed them on their website. If you're interested, give ground control a call and see what they say.

Springs (as with all GC products) are universal sized Eibachs. This set came with 800 lb-in fronts and 500 lb-in rears. The beauty of this setup is that you can buy any universal 2.5" ID spring and it will fit this kit, making the spring rates pretty much infinitely adjustable. You can order a spring in the correct height and diameter, and specify what spring rate you want, making it variable from super stiff to plush.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Silver MK3;2043443 said:
OK, good to know. How do you find out the height of the spring that you want?

I didn't specify, I just asked for a set for the MKIII Supra. They provided 7" tall front and 8" tall rear springs.