Lights dim when i hit the brakes.

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
It really depends on what you have on at the time. If you've got the ventilation on high, both wipers going, stereo on, headlights on, etc. you will see more of a drop. The headlights are the worst drain.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Mine dims too, i have sat at red lights playing with the brake pedal listening to some relay click behind the stereo and all the instrument cluster lights make a quick flicker, it really pisses some people off when i sit there and do that.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
I think you've got a parasitic short somewhere.

Here's what you do:

Disconnect your negative battery lead and then take a test light and connect the ground to your -negative battery post, and the +positive side to your now disconnected -negative battery cable.
If the test light lights up, you've got a short somewhere.

Start pulling fuses till the light goes out and you've found your shorted circuit. Now it's just a matter of tracing the wire or useing a magnetic short finder to locate the exact location of the short.

Also, check grounds.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
suprabad;896134 said:
I think you've got a parasitic short somewhere.

Here's what you do:

Disconnect your negative battery lead and then take a test light and connect the ground to your -negative battery post, and the +positive side to your now disconnected -negative battery cable.
If the test light lights up, you've got a short somewhere.

Start pulling fuses till the light goes out and you've found your shorted circuit. Now it's just a matter of tracing the wire or useing a magnetic short finder to locate the exact location of the short.

Also, check grounds.

Dont mean to thread jack...

I have a drain somewhere and used the test light as you said and pulled fuses. I pulled every fuse and it made no change, not sure where the drain is if its not on any of the fused circuits...?

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
did you even pull the fuses inside the car in the kick panel? just thought with all those fuses so close to the battery you might have forgotten the rest...

I have this slight dimming when i change the voltage needed from the electronics, but yes it's usually coming home at night when i apply my brakes. I notice it more when my wipers are on but i usually always run with fogs on when my headlights are on. so that means what, 9 bulbs are going? the voltage doesn't come back up too quick but it's not horrible or that much of a dip. i notice the voltmeter twitch when i use my hazards. not sure about the blinker.