lightened flywheel questions

drr999

Apr 23, 2011
Coquitlam, BC
i have a 77 celica with a 7mgte and r154 swapped in. when i did the swap i didnt know about shimming the oil pump so now i am going to pull the motor and take car of that. while it is out i am going to change the clutch and i am thinking about going to a lighter flywheel but i want to know how that will affect the drivability of the car. my plan for the car is to autocross it, and maybe drag race it a little, but i do drive it quite often in regular traffic. i am currently putting together parts to upgrade the turbo, injectors, and go to a standalone. thanks

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Hello,
Welcome to SM!
You are going to use your Supra as I do. I purchased the Fidanza aluminum flywheel, then had it lightened further around the ring gear, and it does require me to pay attention to the revs to keep the motor from stalling. That's it! It doesn't perform reliably as well as the heavier stock FW, but it really improved catching a gear under heavy braking in the corners. I can now blip the throttle, whereas before it would rev up, then wind down.
I paired the Fidanza with a stock disc and uprated PP from Action, as my Supra is making more Tq than the stock PP can take.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I've heard some horror stories around the Fidanza.. From what I remember, the PP bolts did not have enough material around them and the flywheel ended up failing around the PP bolts.

drr999

Apr 23, 2011
Coquitlam, BC
Well I'm looking at a chromoly flywheel or a fidanza. The chromoly one is 15lbs and the fidanza is 9.9lbs. I haven't heard anything bad about the quality of fidanza but there are a lot of knock offs some with poor quality material but look identical. If I go that way I would go with one of their dealers not just someone on eBay.

I do appreciate the warning but I am looking for more facts from people who are actually using them.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Backlash2032;1933471 said:
I've heard some horror stories around the Fidanza.. From what I remember, the PP bolts did not have enough material around them and the flywheel ended up failing around the PP bolts.
I've had the Fidanza FW since 2005, with a lot of hard use, then this year, I had the friction surfaces replaced and there were no stress fractures noticed by neither the machinist during the lightening process... Nor the mechanic during the clutch rebuild this year.

terrenceLP

Mar 22, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Go quality chromoly flywheel - then beat it.

Depending on your goals, the High Performance, Lightweight with Replaceable Friction Plate Fidanza is not that great.

If you get a chance try to see them in person side by side.

IMO - a lightweight flywheel works better in shorter stroked motors, the 7M is a long stroke.

2JZ-GTE Bore: 86.0mm Stroke: 86.0mm Size: 2.997L Comp: 8.5:1 HP: 320@ 5600
7M-GTE Bore: 83.0mm Stroke: 91.0mm Size: 2.954L Comp: 8.5:1 HP: 230@ 5600