light show under my hood! how bad could it possibly be...?

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
so, ive been having some sort of misfire problem with my car; both on cold starts, midrange RPM under light load after initally warming up and changing to only 6000-7000rpm while hot and WOT.

its either my injectors fucking up (not sure if its associated with my over-night flooding issue) or a spark issue. it SEEMS like it could be spark blow-out. it only happens at HIGH rpm, near the revlimiter. at first, the misfire is somewhat irregular and if i try to push thru it, it turns into a consistant misfire like a revlimiter would normally exhibit. when i get home, i pop the hood to listen for any new mechanical knocks or taps in my engine from my several 7000rpm blasts (i never thought id see 7000 on this thing and not scatter parts). so, im pleasantly surprised my engine building skills have NOT let me down... yet; no new noises or smokes or leaks. however, i discovered a new phenomena that ive only heard legends of... high tension voltage leaks.

its almost a light-less night. i popped the hood and could barely see anything under there. then i notice some glints of a bluish-white light between my came covers. i thought "great, now im seeing things". my curiousity caused me to lean over my engine to get a better look, all the while, picturing the draw-strings of my sweater getting caught in my belt or fans... so i put the ends of the strings in my mouth, lean over from the driver side and sho'nuff, i have a constantly erratic light show as spark would jump from my 3 short leads to the valve cover or head. i had never seen it before... i thought it was the real thing, 40,000 volts so i was afraid to touch any of my coil packs or wires... but i never got shocked before, why would i now. i pressed them all down and all 3 packs and all 3 leads were as secure as theyve ever been. then i noticed the sparks jumping to my FINGER!!! i didnt feel anything at all but there was definitly spark jumping the gap from one of the high tension leads to my finger tip... from a 10mm airgap!!!! its the craziest thing ive seen under my hood... short of my ER4043 Aluminum welding rod O2 sensor harness bracket "melting" from heat radiating off my turbo.

soo... i tried to take a video but i guess the camera isnt sensative enough to pick up on the small flashes of light. ive always heard that if you see this happen, its time for new wires... but is it actually detrimental if you drive like this? lost power, or any of that business? im just curious on how important it is that i actually go out and get new wires for my VVTi ignition setup....

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
lol, you must have been grounded perfectly(lucky you). I've got bit a few times, it doesn't tickle...

Oh yeah, and change your wires.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Sounds like corona discharge mixed with some outright arcing. As suggested start with the wires. A lean mixture, bad HT connection (or other form of high secondary resistance) and wide plug gaps can cause it too.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Remember, electric is LAZY. Path of least resistance. If your plug wires don't have the insulation they once did, electric will take the easiest path to ground it can find.

As JJ said. Start with wires and plugs. Work it from there. 99 times out of 100 the wires and plugs will fix the problem.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
thanks guys...

ive NEVER been shocked by discharge from this car on this COP setup. they are original wires from 2002 as far as i know. they still have the plastic spiral loom on the wires, the weak 6mm that they are. at least i only have to buy 3 leads! lol.... watch, ill get there and find out they cost as much as or MORE than stock 7M wires :nono:

i think the gap on my iridiums have opened up... the side electrode has eroded at least 0.003" to 0.005". its visible and probably tangible if you could get an appendage in there to test it.

guess i should get some 3330's?