Lifters dropped from the head, what to do?

Patch

Aug 25, 2008
Houston
So I get my head back from the machine shop today. Shaved .22 off, so I ordered my 2mm headgasket.

Took the head out of the car and set it on the trunk deck. Still in the bag and everything.

Friend comes by to check it out. I'm at the front of the car getting stuff together and I hear "oh sh!t"

Turn around and I see 9 exhaust lifters laying in the bag beside the head.

What do I do? I'm so frantic and stressed right now its ridiculous. Buying a new valve and lifter set would break the bank.

I have spare head on my block with rod knock. But its already been cut previously to fit a 3mm hks headgasket. I can order another if needed, but it can't be shaved aanymore.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Are you saying that the shim buckets just fell out?

It's not a problem, they drop right back in. They just sit on top of the valves.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
Supracentral;1198886 said:
Are you saying that the shim buckets just fell out?

It's not a problem, they drop right back in. They just sit on top of the valves.

I thought the shim buckets had to go back in the place they came out of in a used motor, hence, why everyone always seems to label them. This is just what I've heard, I could definitely be wrong (and probably am when I oppose a person like yourself)

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
TurboFreak;1198888 said:
I thought the shim buckets had to go back in the place they came out of in a used motor, hence, why everyone always seems to label them. This is just what I've heard, I could definitely be wrong (and probably am when I oppose a person like yourself)

They label them so that they know what valve they mate up to so they dont have to re-measure their clearances. Shims come in multiple thicknesses. Thats how you adjust your valve clearances. All you have to do is:

Measure shim thickness of all shims before they go back into the motor and record their location.

Install the camshafts, measure clearances and record.

Swap shims accordingly to bring specifications into clearance. You may need to purchase some shims to make this happen.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Exactly - labeling them makes it easier, but it's not a complete disaster. Measuring them and adding the appropriate shims isn't that hard and/or expensive.

Patch

Aug 25, 2008
Houston
The TSRM goes through checking the clearances with the motor together, where the crank can just be rotated to move the cams. i just have the head by itself, the block is still down for the build.

Patch

Aug 25, 2008
Houston
oops vforgot to ask the question of the post- should i just turn the cams and check clearance? this is the first time ive had to do this if you cant tell.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Yes you will eventually need to turn the cam to mesure all of the clearances. Just make sure the "lobe" you are checking is pointing up (valve closed 100%) and then do you mesuring. If checking on a bench make sure there is lots of cushion under the head, we dont want to damage the valves now do we.

Intake side is .006 -.010 in.
Exhause side is .008 - .012 in.

Now if your cams are bad or out of round that is another story.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
You really should do this with the head on the motor. Even the most even torque loading of headbolts might cause some deformation in the head.

You can get it "close" with the head off the block, but you'll need to recheck it.

In general I just do it with the head on the motor - it's far more accurate and wastes less time.

Patch

Aug 25, 2008
Houston
Ok, thats exactly what i was thinking. when the headgasket comes in ill put the head on and then install the cams and check clearancing.

Patch

Aug 25, 2008
Houston
I was told to take a long and run it across the block deck then wipe the deck down with brake cleaner before I do the headgasket install. Is this right? Never heard this method before.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
If the block wasn't surfaced for a metal gasket then yes you should lap the block with lapping compound and a lapping block or a huge honeing stone....then clean it up with degreaser...