"Lifetime" Fuel filter dissection - With Pics

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
DegreE;1084428 said:
I'm just going to go ahead and ask....

89 Supra N/A. Where is it?

"right above the diff" is enough for you to find it. It's no lie. If you don't have a lift and want to change the filter, you're in for fun. Even with a lift, it's a lot of reaching and little hands help.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Satan;1083779 said:
I usually avoid these hot debates, but...

Filtration systems are designed for certain "ideal" conditions. That being said, I have my own doubts that this small-@$$ filter can do 10+ years, without some clogging/ (diminishing returns). Sure the interval does NOT need to be every year, but after all the $$ I've dumped into my Supras, a $20 replacement makes me FEEL better. After seeing the rust in one of the old tanks on my '90, I knew I had to replace it. I only dropped the tank after the fuel pump failed (which is when I saw why).

We all have our own peeves and ideas of what makes us feel better. If, in fact, it was designed for lifetime use, then it would NOT HAVE BEEN made into a serviceable part. Everyone's circumstances/conditions are different, so please show latitude/tolerance for each other.

I replaced my fuel pump and changing the filter was a convenient thing to do. The brown stuff that poured out of my old filter may only have been a fraction of the filtration value it had left, but for $20, it was worth the change to me (no matter what the numbers might prove).

If you're the original owner and have taken care of your baby, then you're okay. Many of the rest of us have inherited "not-so-well-kept" Supras. Changing the filter on my '91, comes out to only about $1.18 per year. I'm okay with spending that, "just to feel better." Sure I did not own it for that length of time, but I will not be changing it for another 17 years (if that), because I will maintain and KNOW what conditions the filter is subjected to from now on.

In the end, you're really only arguing about spending $20 ($5 if on sale)... I used a WIX as well and would've been even happier with only spending $5.

If I understand Satan correctly, then I agree completely. Why ponder about the state of the fuel filter, or be convinced that it will last forever when 20 years of work has been on it when you can do it.

Not just do it, but do it cheaply and fairly easily. I mean, this applies to what Satan said, for each car, you do not know the conditions the car has been driven (or sat) through.

I DO believe that these filters are 'lifetime', but at the same time I think this notion of lifetime was estimated to be 25 years. It's been nearly that, and of course can last years longer if taken care of but like I said, for how old it is, and because of unknown conditions.....just change it and have peace of mind (regarding the fuel filter at least) for another 20+ years.

My opinion doesn't apply as much to original owners who would know what the car has been through, then they may use discretion.

Bascially my theory is that if the filter is made to last a lifetime, and if lifetime = ~25 yrs. then it's time is coming up.

It's like buying a car that has oil changes every 4k and the owner tells you he changed the oil about 2.5K ago, I wouldn't wait to get to 4k to change the oil. It's a little different because oil does not wear like a fuel filter but I'm just trying to create a simpler analogy because sometime I have an idea in my mind and the words that I type do not clearly translate into the correct meaning :icon_razz.

Feel free to question my opinion, it may be flawed somewhere, or you may not understand part of it, either way point it out so I can see the flaw or so I can explain, or try to explain, properly :)

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Guyana00;1084452 said:
If I understand Satan correctly, then I agree completely. Why ponder about the state of the fuel filter, or be convinced that it will last forever when 20 years of work has been on it when you can do it.

Not just do it, but do it cheaply and fairly easily. I mean, this applies to what Satan said, for each car, you do not know the conditions the car has been driven (or sat) through.

I DO believe that these filters are 'lifetime', but at the same time I think this notion of lifetime was estimated to be 25 years. It's been nearly that, and of course can last years longer if taken care of but like I said, for how old it is, and because of unknown conditions.....just change it and have peace of mind (regarding the fuel filter at least) for another 20+ years.

My opinion doesn't apply as much to original owners who would know what the car has been through, then they may use discretion.

Bascially my theory is that if the filter is made to last a lifetime, and if lifetime = ~25 yrs. then it's time is coming up.

It's like buying a car that has oil changes every 4k and the owner tells you he changed the oil about 2.5K ago, I wouldn't wait to get to 4k to change the oil. It's a little different because oil does not wear like a fuel filter but I'm just trying to create a simpler analogy because sometime I have an idea in my mind and the words that I type do not clearly translate into the correct meaning :icon_razz.

Feel free to question my opinion, it may be flawed somewhere, or you may not understand part of it, either way point it out so I can see the flaw or so I can explain, or try to explain, properly :)

When I bought each of my vehicles the previous owners of course said the fluids have all just been changed. Thats all fine and good, they seemed honest but I still changed all the fluids. Knowing the fluid was fresh gave me the peace of mind and a starting point for that vehicle.

Any serviceable part is meant to be serviced. The people that choose not to or have no need to can leave it for another 20 years. Those that find a need or just want that starting point of all new serviceable parts will change it.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
iwannadie;1083534 said:
My supra is going on 20 years old, its been in my possession for like 4 years. I have no clue what was done to it before I got it. The previous owners could have left it sitting with half a tank of gas and no gas cap on it for a year for all I know.

I used to have an old beater truck with a cleanable fuel filter right before the carb.

images

Now im not sure how the previous owner(s) felt about routine maintenence, but everytime i would look under the hood that filter would be full of Flakes from a pine tree cone or something close.

So imagine this is your truck, but lets replace it with a supra, and imagine you dont have the second see thru fuel filter. I know i would be pissed if i Ran my motor lean cause one of those flakes clogged a injector. $20 is cheap insurance, especially when compared to a multi year and multi thousand dollar engine rebuild.

Cause while we might be Ocd with our cars now, do you think your previous owners were?

poison1.jpg

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Guyana00;1084452 said:

Not just do it, but do it cheaply and fairly easily.

You got it! I have "accomplished less" and "spent more time/$" doing other stuff. Example: I had bought 3+ 1-man brake bleeder thingys ($6-$10 each) which don't work worth a damn (ended up making my own), and still had spongy brakes after hours of trying to bleed 'em. Would've gladly changed a fuel filter instead, to at least have some satisfaction or return on investment.

YotaRob

U.S.Navy
Jun 18, 2008
Great Lakes
Most crap in our fuel tanks comes from the filling stations that have rusted tanks and when they get low on fuel it all gets pumped into the customers cars. I saw a rash of this after Katrena and supply ran low in our area. Big giant steel underground tanks rust too.
also, Satan, best one man bleader is a 20oz coke bottle empty, put about 2oz brake fluid in bottom, insert a hose in through a hole in the cap and submerge into fluid at bottom and other end goes over bleeder. pump brakes a few and go to next wheel. Presto!

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
^^ I used the actual jug/container that the brake fluid came in. Drilled a hole in the cap use a vacuum line, and loosen the cap to vent. Free and MUCH better than the kits with magnets and Fed-up hoses.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
^^Broke one off in the wife's MKIV and couldn't drill that beeyatch out (broke the easy-out in it as well). Ended up replacing the caliper. After that, no speed bleeders for me. Maybe if I was autocrossing.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Satan;1085282 said:
^^Broke one off in the wife's MKIV and couldn't drill that beeyatch out (broke the easy-out in it as well). Ended up replacing the caliper. After that, no speed bleeders for me. Maybe if I was autocrossing.

Its not the bleeders fault you over tightened it ; p

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
i still have my OE filter in my '87 that's seen over 220k miles of n/a use, and now it's got a turbo 7m... the tank has NEVER been dropped. soon to put in 255 lph pump and new filter though :D... car feels strong enough to be making 300ish whp w/ the stock turbo (12 psi, tuned)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Just to be clear if I had to go in there for some reason even I'd change it. Kinda dumb not to. However doing it just for grins is imo almost as dumb. And that the OP's was (supposedly) bad doesn't in any way make the filter "lifetime, my ass". One sample, and not even a good one at that, doesn't mean squat...

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
jetjock;1085518 said:
Just to be clear if I had to go in there for some reason even I'd change it. Kinda dumb not to. However doing it just for grins is imo almost as dumb. And that the OP's was (supposedly) bad doesn't in any way make the filter "lifetime, my ass". One sample, and not even a good one at that, doesn't mean squat...

Just curious, you would replace it with an OEM(toyota dealer) filter correct not an after market one?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Very likely yes. As I said the OEM filter is based upon a proven Bosch design I'm familar with. I'm not saying I would absolutely refuse to use a reputable aftermarket filter (perhaps WIX or Purolator) just that, generally speaking, I don't accord the same quality to aftermarket parts as I do OEM. That would mean I'd probably have to change it again sooner (I'd lose whatever "lifetime" the OEM filter provides) and since I prefer driving the car to working on it that won't do. However it's doubtful I'd ever be put in that position.

Besides, since I can afford OEM parts I typically use them. Not always but almost. That said I have zero plans of changing it (which is one reason I can afford OEM parts when I really need them)....others can do whatever turns them on.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
To keep this pot stirred....
If you do 'have' to change the fuel filter, you need to go into the tank and replace the 'sock' filter as it will be twice as restricted as the external fuel filter.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I swear, everyone has me on ignore :rofl:

I've said that as well, even worse, the fuel pump had to pump that garbage as well, so it's more than likely not in great shape...