LEX AFM ??

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
88YotaTurbo said:
Man. You must see what I'm talking about. You guys are arguing about a solution. No one knows WTH to do. We need an expert.

Wishy washy??Are you joking? Didn't you just use the search button. Thats like asking why people with the same mods dont make the same exact hp and tq. Think about it for a min ...... I am Rick James bitch … Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
As you both make good points. I have to agree with turbo warrior. Yes, people have made 400+hp with the lexus afm, but not alone. You can't do one mod and not support it and expext your engine to last. I think your arguing the same points.

88yota turbo: Don't expect your ecu to learn in 5 minutes. I don't think this will be a good comparison.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
ive been around the supra rodeo for a while now. the lex afm mod was very popular back in the late 90's. and several people ran them on 440cc. one of those was me. what i did was drill out the plug over the stock screw and crank it all the way in. that cuts off a good portion of the unmetered air, yet allows enough that you arent bumping fuel cut ~12psi. i went to the dyno before and after. yes it was leaner, more unmetered air. but it was so pig rich to begin with it wasnt dangerous lean. the leanest point at the top end avg between 11.9-12.2.

that being said:

back in the day when all this was going on there was a trend with the pre 89's leaning out with the lex/440. some said it was due to the fuel maps, whatever. it happened. not to mention these days the stock pumps are getting quite tired if they are original. i wouldnt ask a stock pump to fuel your needs. id be much more worried about a good pump than the 440's.

in your situation, being an 88 (i assume w/ your s/n) i would be very cautious with this mod. at the very least drill out and crank in the stock screw. monitor a/f very carefully on the dyno, and for a little added safety i would put a mix of race gas in there.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
antman said:
As you both make good points. I have to agree with turbo warrior. Yes, people have made 400+hp with the lexus afm, but not alone. You can't do one mod and not support it and expert your engine to last. I think your arguing the same points.

88yota turbo: Don't expect your ecu to learn in 5 minutes. I don't think this will be a good comparison.

I don’t recall saying i did not agree with him or "arguing" we both said the something just from a different point of view... In fact i agreed with him but just from a different stand point he said you had to use something electrical to add fuel and i said you can do it the samething with all mechanical parts like a AFPR and a upgraded fuel pump.

Problem solved.

supra4ever68 said:
it's common sense man....25% more air needs 25% more fuel...it won't work right...

SOOOOOOO increase the fuel pressure at the minimum. You guys that neglect that fact that the stock 440’s can support over 400rwhp. With that said I have a special word for you TUNING …. You adjust the fuel to keep a decent a/f ratio using a AFPR, MAFT, SAFC, MAFT-Pro, Map ECU, VPC setup, stand alone and whatever else I am leaving off the list.

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
dbsupra90 said:
ive been around the supra rodeo for a while now. the lex afm mod was very popular back in the late 90's. and several people ran them on 440cc. one of those was me. what i did was drill out the plug over the stock screw and crank it all the way in. that cuts off a good portion of the unmetered air, yet allows enough that you arent bumping fuel cut ~12psi. i went to the dyno before and after. yes it was leaner, more unmetered air. but it was so pig rich to begin with it wasnt dangerous lean. the leanest point at the top end avg between 11.9-12.2.

that being said:

back in the day when all this was going on there was a trend with the pre 89's leaning out with the lex/440. some said it was due to the fuel maps, whatever. it happened. not to mention these days the stock pumps are getting quite tired if they are original. i wouldnt ask a stock pump to fuel your needs. id be much more worried about a good pump than the 440's.

in your situation, being an 88 (i assume w/ your s/n) i would be very cautious with this mod. at the very least drill out and crank in the stock screw. monitor a/f very carefully on the dyno, and for a little added safety i would put a mix of race gas in there.
Thank you very much. I was planning on running 112 octane at the dyno and adjusting the unmeter screw to match the a/f ratio.
I'll try it out and if I have any concern at all I will switch back and start saving for 550's afpr and pump

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Just for information sake dbsupra90 i know we had this convo in PM's a while back .... what was your setup while you were still on the 440's

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
i had a lex afm screwed all the way in and the my afpr was at 40psi. no other fuel mod. it was faster but not worth the bad idle and backfire from the richness, if u have good stock pump and injectors, wide band and fpr and not go crazy with boost then u should be good cause i was running super rich.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
bountykilla0118 said:
Just for information sake dbsupra90 i know we had this convo in PM's a while back .... what was your setup while you were still on the 440's

that was quite some time ago lol. pretty sure:

intake, dp, exhaust, boost controller at 12psi, lex afm.

next was afpr and fuel pump. backed out the screw a little and compensated w/ a little more fp. just wanted to get a little more headroom for 14psi.

then it was ic and piping.

i went bigger injectors when i upgraded the turbo.