Lex AFM/550s Post-install troubles...

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
Just finished installing a new header, turbo, Lex AFM and 550cc injectors. I am also using the Lexus electronics on the AFM (have read they are the same as the stock Supra).

I'm having some trouble getting the car to run correctly...it seems to flood itself (difficult to get it to actually start up). It did run for about 10 mins last night, but I couldn't get it to rev over 2k b/c it seemed to just bog itself out.

Should I reset the ECU (pull the fuse and negative batt. post off for ~15mins)? Or does it just have to "re-learn" everything? If so, how should I go about driving it so it can learn, and for how long?

Any ideas?

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
Going to swap them when I goto the car today...I sure hope it works out... :(

Need the car running so I can get back home!

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Jeff Lange pointed out to me that the electronics are the same. If you look at the part number on the unit, they are indeed identical. It couldn" hurt to let the ECU re-learn, but I"d check that you hooked back all vaccum lines, wiring harnesses etc.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
sounds like the electronics youre using are no good. use the one you had on your car prior to install.

if you had pulled codes the first time the ecu threw the cel you could have figured this out on your own however.

7MsuprO

Apr 29, 2006
Huntington Beach CA/Ohio
the electronics are the same but i would also try going with your original supra electronics. worth a try (if the lex. part is bad) since im guessing you still have the original right?

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
I've seen a couple 7m's that really didn't like the Lexus/550 mod, and it seems to occur more on the later 7m's. Basically the ECU is too far off and needs to relearn the settings. Reset the ECU by pulling the EFI fuse for 30 seconds, then start the car. You'll probably have to help the car idle using the gas pedal. Let it warm up a little and then drive it around the block a couple times. Once it's at full operating temp stop helping it idle, if it dies just start it back up. At this point it should be much closer to idling itself. Drive it home and park it for an hour or so to let it cool down some. A couple more trips around the block and it should idle fine. You may have to fiddle with the air adjustment screw as well, try moving it all the way in for now, your FCO will be lower but the car should idle better and you'll still get extra boost.

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
WeDgE, again.

Well I was even thinking of going back to the stock AFM and 440s...then reinstall the 550s/Lex when I get at least an SAFC.

But if I go back to the 440's and stock AFM, I know I won't be able to hit the 10lbs that the wastegate is set at...especially not with the T78 I'm running.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Lexus AFM and 550's will work without any form of fuel control. In some cars though it takes some time for the ECU to relearn. Also piggybacks have limited use in adjusting idle a/f. For the most part they will only affect the car at WOT.

Also you didn't happen to do any other mods to the cars fuel system lately? New fuel filter, fuel pump, fpr, etc?

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
WeDgE here...

Nope, just the 550s and Lex AFM.

I've been told it's a good possibility that I may have a leak in my intercooler piping...going to investigate that tomorrow (pressurize the intercooler system).

I did take it out for a little drive earlier, this time the car wouldn't go above ~3300rpm (I"m assuming this is where the turbo is starting to make boost, making my problem even worse). And I've also chatted about the possibility of the car being "under-aired" due to the "boost leak" (right amount of fuel is being given, but air is escaping through the piping).

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
If it won't go above 3300 then you definitely have some other problem. Even a poorly tuned car will rev to redline. The Lexus AFM/550 seems to amplify any problems like boost leak or vacuum leak when it comes to idle. 99% of the time a boost leak is the #1 hose coming off the bottom of the turbo or the 3000 pipe to throttle body connector. Try to get a friend to keep the car idling while you listen for air hissing as well.

Supraholic

Mar 31, 2005
Houston, TX
did you have an NA car and you changed to Turbo? I did my 550/Lexus AFM update on my 87T along with WB fuel pump, and AFPR... never had any issues with it..

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
No, was always turbo'd.

Going to pick up a sewer cap and an air compressor fitting to pressurize the intercooler system, see if I can spot any leaks...I have a feeling it is the coupler coming off the compressor outlet. We're thinking the engine is being "starved" of air due to the boost leak...engine gives fuel for 5 parts of air, yet only 3 make it into the engine...making it burn super rich...hopefully that's the case.