lets talk cooling?

supra88gr

Sep 10, 2008
s dub
so i want a new radiator. which one would be the best one to get i was thinking about a moshimoto rad? comments?. and should i stick with the stock fan on the car or upgrade to electric fans? and which thermostat should i get? thanks guys for any opinions and comments

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I have a CSF dual core radiator...Zyrex G05 coolant.
The stock fan is good for most street cars.
Toyota OEM or Stant SuperStat...190 deg F.

supra88gr

Sep 10, 2008
s dub
jdub;1361786 said:
I have a CSF dual core radiator...Zyrex G05 coolant.
The stock fan is good for most street cars.
Toyota OEM or Stany SuperStat...190 deg F.

thanks for the info. my car is not exactly stock . i have been running on a gt35r sut up with supporting mods and making 502rwhp and i figured its time for an upgrade. is the stock fan batter then the electric fans or no . and is the moshimoto rad any good

BoostJunkie

Nov 27, 2008
Clarksville, TN
From what I have seen around the forum, the stock fan does flow a large amount of air. If you go with electric that you need to make sure it will flow atleast the same amout if not more. Use the search I know there is a few discussions about electric fans on here.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
supra88gr;1361932 said:
thanks for the info. my car is not exactly stock . i have been running on a gt35r sut up with supporting mods and making 502rwhp and i figured its time for an upgrade. is the stock fan batter then the electric fans or no . and is the moshimoto rad any good

Mine's not stock either....the stock fan is still what you want to run, especially on a built motor. If you are running the stock ECU, you still want a 190 deg tstat...that is unless you want to run rich.
Moshimoto rad? IMO, you get what you pay for.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Stick with the name brand aluminum radiators from the more reputable shops. They are usually in the ~$400 range. The ones on Ebay and elsewhere in ~$250 range are not bolt in affairs and will give you greif when trying to run the factory shroud and fan. All of the lower priced ones I have seen will not allow you to run the fan shroud effectively.

+1 for the 190° t-stat.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Supra90gr;1364079 said:
Mishimoto is good. I'm running it in my car and it's great

Does the stock fan shroud bolt up without modification?

On another note (topic of cooling): would a hard lower radiator pipe be beneficial in any way, or would it be more for the "peace of mind" or "bling" factor?

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
Moy;1366724 said:

On another note (topic of cooling): would a hard lower radiator pipe be beneficial in any way, or would it be more for the "peace of mind" or "bling" factor?

Bling! The pressure in a radiator isn't too high, and a good quality hose in good condition will be fine. Remember, if you use a hard pipe, you still have to attach it with hoses.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Moy;1366724 said:

On the lower priced Mishimoto's and similar rads, no.