Led turn signal group buy feeler thread.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
This is a feeler thread to see if there if enough interest to set up a group buy on LED turn signals. There are many different setups people may want and I will probably not think of all the setups people will want. The breakdown will be setup so that people can mix and match the light you want. If you are interested fill out the form below and we will see what we can do. I am looking to have at least 10 people interested before I start. Just to answer it now I will be making some custom brake lights but it will not be discussed in this thread that will come later on after this is all done. I may add some led side marker lights to this also if anyone is interested, but I have to test fit the prototypes I have made to see if they fit and what kinds of designs can be done.

LED LIGHT GRIDS:
89 Lights:
Two led grids $110 amber color. 2 Rows of LEDs each, 60 LEDs in all
If you want the outer lights to be white its + $15. Total of 24 LEDs
If you want the inner lights to be white its + $20. Total of 36 LEDs

87 Lights:
Two led grids $130 amber color. 2 Rows of LEDs each 84 LEDs in all
If you want the outer lights to be white its + $20. Total of 36 LEDs
If you want the inner lights to be white its + $30. Total of 48 LEDs

LIGHT HOUSINGS:
89+ or pre89 Clear or smoked housing + installation $75.
add matching rear bumper marker light housings + $25.
add matching front side markers + $25.
Installation to add the lights to your housings will be $25.

LED FLASHER: Turn signals will flash fast unless you have one of these.
Direct replacement LED flasher unit $20.

NOTE: the markers will not have LEDs in them at this time. If you are interested in making them LEDs let me know.

CONTROL UNITS: These are required with the lights, pic one.
Normal control unit for dimming control and voltage regulation $40.
Sequential light control unit $80 Track light setup only at this time I will work out a on and hold setup if anyone is interested.

So as an example of lights say you want a 89 setup with the inner light white and outer light amber, with outer light being turn signal, and do not want them sequential, and want the housings too without the markers. The price would be
$110 for the led grids
$20 for using white inner lights
$75 for the housings and labor to install lights
$40 for the control unit
$20 for electronic led flasher
total $265 + shipping

Some additional information on the lights.

Any led turn signals will cause the turn signals to flash fast without an electronic LED flasher. Please don't get confused if purchasing one yourself, the stock flasher is an electronic flasher but not an LED electronic flasher.

LEDs draw less power and will cause the light failure light to come on on the dash. I do not have a way around this right now but there are options out there, like doing the light failure module delete, or removing the bulb. I don't know if it is possible to change the setup of the light failure module to work with the LEDs but don't count on that being an option right now.

3 month limited warranty on all components for defects.

All LEDs are super flux high quality LEDs, I have been using these for years and have never had a problem with them.

The LEDs will be running on PWM for dimming control and led life extension.

The lights can be setup the normal way where the inside light is the turn signal and the outside is the running light or the inside can be a running light and the outside can be the turn. So you could use white inner lights as running lights and amber outer lights as turn signals.

The boards are printed circuit boards that I am manufacturing and can be setup in any way you like but there will be additional costs involved in custom grids and extra lights, but you can have your own unique design if you want within design limits.

THESE ARE NOT DOT LEGAL. FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY. I assume no responsibility for any legal matters that may result from using these LED turn signals on public roads.

I can change the speed of the sequential lights so they are faster or slower to fit your preference, but I have them set up now so that they will come on and go across at the speed that the turn signal is normally on. Meaning while the turn signal would normally be on it will run the entire length. I am working on a system where they would be sequential the entire time but have not got it completely worked out right now. I am waiting to see if there is even any interest in the sequential lights before I get any further into it.

The lights will not be completely plug and play since I cannot get the pig tails anymore. If you want them I will try to get some used ones, (Toyota lists a limited quantity and they can't seem to find any for me) or if you want to send me your pig tails I can put them on the lights. I will sell them for what I can get them for so if you want them either I can try to find you a set or you can find them and send them to me. For now if you don't want them with pigtails on them they will come with pins attached to them and you will have to depin and repin the existing connector from the light side pigtail. This can be done in a few minutes with a needle or very small screw driver. I will send instructions with pictures on how to do this.

Sequential setups at this time are track light setups so an example of the inner light on an 89 it would be like this where 0 is off 1 is on.

on and hold would be like
ect

If you are interested please note so and what setup and year you would want. If we do a group buy a deposit of 50% will be due so keep that in consideration before saying you would want a set. Full payment will be required after I complete your set. I will send pictures of what you are getting when the payment request is sent to make sure everything is correct.

Please keep the idle chatter to a minimum.

Here are some pics of the options of how I can make them.

VIDEO sequential lights in action.

p1637606_1.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
RazoE the price is $75 for new housings and the labor to install, if you send me your lights the labor is $25 for installation of the grids in your housings. At the current rate of shipping if you wanted the clear housings it would be cheaper probably to just get a set new from me, but IIRC you have euro amber/white lenses so I can see where you want to send them to me. So for your example I think you wanted a 89 set of euro with amber on the inside and white on the outside so price is.
$110 two 89 amber grids
$15 outer lights white
$40 control module
$25 labor to install in your housings
$20 turn signal flasher
TOTAL $210

IIRC you were thinking of doing just the inner light white and leaving the amber as a normal bulb in that case it would be
$50 amber outer light
$15 white leds for outer light
$40 control module
$25 install labor in your housings
TOTAL $130

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Actually, they were pre-89 euro housings, leaving the outer clear alone, and installing LED grids for the turn signals, and having them blink normally...

I can source the flasher as well, I got a really good one for my 86.5 with LED bulbs..

so that means

-pre 89 amber grid
-labor
-control module

correct?

plus shipping on my side, of course

edit: if the white outer lights are just $15, I might go with that as well..:D

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Sorry I may have explained it wrong, the $15 is to upgrade the amber to the white, its additional to the cost of the amber.
$70 pre 89 inner amber turn grid
$25 Labor
$20 control unit NOTE: if you only want one led grid you only need one control unit where the $40 one is a dual unit.
TOTAL $115

That would be leaving the whites normal.

If you wanted white running lights and amber turns it would be
$130 two led grids
$20 outer light white upgrade (whites are $20 more than ambers)
$40 control unit
$25 labor to install all in your lenses
TOTAL $215 + shipping

Sorry I know its all confusing I just wanted to set it up so people would have as many options as they could have.

suprastupid

Apr 4, 2010
tx
I want a pair. Will be ready for em early next year.. around Feb.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
metaphysico;1637936 said:
Sorry I may have explained it wrong, the $15 is to upgrade the amber to the white, its additional to the cost of the amber.
$70 pre 89 inner amber turn grid
$25 Labor
$20 control unit NOTE: if you only want one led grid you only need one control unit where the $40 one is a dual unit.
TOTAL $115

That would be leaving the whites normal.

If you wanted white running lights and amber turns it would be
$130 two led grids
$20 outer light white upgrade (whites are $20 more than ambers)
$40 control unit
$25 labor to install all in your lenses
TOTAL $215 + shipping

Sorry I know its all confusing I just wanted to set it up so people would have as many options as they could have.

Oh okay, yeah that explains it much better..

the first one sounds better, adding white LEDs to the outside nearly doubles the price..:D

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Yea price goes up but the average price for LED turn signals I have seen is over $700 so its a lot better deal than that. Even a pair of markers runs almost $300.

So I got one of my wifes turn signals done, well minus wiring them to the car so I figured I would put up the video so you can all see what the sequentials and running lights look like in the stock housings.