Led gauge conversion

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
shaeff;1487826 said:
I've got red in my dashes, the Supra dash takes to them VERY well. No hot spots, and the dimmer still works perfectly. I love the red, it's not like Pontiac "red" (which is more orange), it's like blood red. I wish I had pics, but my car has been MIA for years now. :nono:

Excuses. I'd like to see. Seen lots of different setups with threads like these over the years but the red isn't popular and would like to see, after hearing you describe.

mx83gte

Sep 27, 2009
chicago illinois
yeah i bought some 1157 led bulbs on ebay for my tail lights 1 burnt out in less than 2 weeks, 2 more about 3 months later, some things you shouldnt skimp on , i did the led's in my ae102 corolla nice bright gauges now

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Guyana00;1488464 said:
Excuses. I'd like to see. Seen lots of different setups with threads like these over the years but the red isn't popular and would like to see, after hearing you describe.

At least it's a good excuse:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I'm still a bit confused on which version of 194's/ 74's you guys are talking about:

these?
wled-xhp5.jpg

or these?
wled-whp6.jpg

or these?
wled-whp9.jpg

or maybe these?
wled-x.jpg

perhaps these?
wled-x4.jpg

or these?
wled-x5.jpg

or lastly(I HOPE)- these?
wled-x6.jpg

Please lemme know which ones you guys have used, and how to avoid hotspots/ coldspots.
Thanks much.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
These..

wled-x5.jpg

they're the only ones that spread out the light instead of concentrating it...

I also have these in my side markers and corner lights, and they look great..!

as for 74's get the thinnest looking ones, as they require a TINY (and I mean tiny) bit of modification to the cluster hole to fit properly..

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Got it. Thanks RazoE.

PS- If I want a white-white color, do I select natural white or cool white?
I'm not looking for a really blue-ish white.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
supraguy@aol;1537879 said:
Got it. Thanks RazoE.

PS- If I want a white-white color, do I select natural white or cool white?
I'm not looking for a really blue-ish white.

natural white is what you're looking for, cool white appears to be slightly bluish..

check out the gallery for my 89, and you can see the color in my corner lights..

http://www.supramania.com/forums/album.php?albumid=70

RedComet13

Rock n Rolla
Mar 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I agree with using Superbrightleds.com over ebay man, The return policies are more strict, But you cannot get a better quality Bulb. My flashing Sidemarkers are bright as hell and it brings a great deal of safety with the mod I did.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I did the conversion as well with the natural white bulbs.. the only difference is I used the 74 SMD bulb in hopes of better illuminating the oil press gauge.

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
So how do you put these in oncee he cluster is apart? Do they pop in or do you solder them on? I tink this is something I can I at home but I wana be sure before I screw things beyond the point of no return

mickgarvey

Jul 5, 2009
Mukilteo, Wa
Although I havent tried or looked into it they seem like they are made to plug into the factory bulb holder. Im guessing based off the fact they have resistors on them and the shape of the connection being similar to a buld type connection.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
supraguy@aol;1537781 said:
I'm still a bit confused on which version of 194's/ 74's you guys are talking about:

these?
wled-xhp5.jpg

or these?
wled-whp6.jpg

or these?
wled-whp9.jpg

or maybe these?
wled-x.jpg

perhaps these?
wled-x4.jpg

or these?
wled-x5.jpg

or lastly(I HOPE)- these?
wled-x6.jpg

Please lemme know which ones you guys have used, and how to avoid hotspots/ coldspots.
Thanks much.

In my opinion: I have the wledx-5's they are pretty nice, I chose those is because they have L.ED.S all the way around the bulb, which I would think that more uniform lighting that the directionall ones. The H.p one's are pretty bright in my opinion. But they are not that much brighter. I'd buy a full set of each of the one's your interested in and compare your self. Or just get one h.p bulb, install it, and see it stands out from the rest of the bulbs. I would black out my windows so you can see the difference's better. That's what I did anyway.
Coldspot: I fixed my coldspot on the oil gauge by fitting in a 194 instead of the 74 bulb worked good.