LED Brake light should be banned agree or disagree?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
GrimJack;1805600 said:
Put away the beer. You're talking madness. LED's are superior in every facet - faster to react, less power usage, longer service life, hell, you can even program them to display Hello Kitty patterns if that tickles your fancy. The European method of having them blink several times, then go solid red when brakes are applied is so far in advance of what we have here, it makes our technology look like something from the dark ages.

Too bright? Are they brighter than the headlights from the oncoming traffic? No. Furthermore, red affects night vision FAR less than the white of oncoming traffic. Furthermore, anything that makes the clown following me look up from texting her boyfriend and realize I'm braking is a good thing. You might not realize this, living in the back of nowhere, but brighter brake lights stop a lot of accidents in urban areas, and most people live in urban areas.
I'd love to be able to program a design into the brake lights... too bad the lenses on ours have funny refractions.

I also disagree though, the sooner your brake lights come on the better. In fact, I've adjusted my pedal and the brake light switch so that as soon as ANY pressure is applied to the brake pedal, the lights are on. ANY pressure at all, it's not even a whole MM space between them. :)

Albert;1805613 said:
The LED taillight I do makes it blink before going solid..

GrimJack;1805673 said:
Wait... you make an LED tail light? For the Supra? More info, please!
Same here, Albert... I bought an extra set of 89+ lights so that we could do an LED conversion, but unfortunately, the guy who was going to do them for me just doesn't have much time on his hands these days, I'd be happy to buy a plug and play option... but only if you could program in a hello kitty face into the brake lights or signals. :p

Poodles;1805705 said:
European cars flash their emergency flashers when you brake hard.
That could get you in trouble with cops couldn't it? I can just see that conversation... "where you going in such a hurry that you have to brake that hard, huh?"

Sheesh... subjective acceleration/deceleration semantics aside, I can just see the headaches that would come from that here. :nono:

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, but...

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
As an employee of an LED fixture manufacturer, I can tell you the LED intensity/lumen output is completely up to the manufacturer. Don't blame the LED's for their efficiency and the manufacturer who doesn't know how to design a fixture with comparable output to what's already on the road. I do agree though, they can be too bright and distracting at times. I don't like following them as I cannot take my eyes off of them.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
GrimJack;1806054 said:
I have the same problem when driving beside college co-eds without their shirts on. I'd rather we didn't ban that, either.

sm_photo_missing.jpg