LED Brake light should be banned agree or disagree?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Well last night I just could not bear it any longer thou bloody things should be banned there to bloody brite and really not needed

yes I do under stand why they are using them, they react quicker and are cheaper to make and can last longer

but fliment condescent works great...... and if they choose to use led they should dim them down

Rant over whos with me

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Perhaps making the taillights darker or keeping them red will help with the LED intensity.
I'll probably switch to LED's once i nightshade my tails.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Put away the beer. You're talking madness. LED's are superior in every facet - faster to react, less power usage, longer service life, hell, you can even program them to display Hello Kitty patterns if that tickles your fancy. The European method of having them blink several times, then go solid red when brakes are applied is so far in advance of what we have here, it makes our technology look like something from the dark ages.

Too bright? Are they brighter than the headlights from the oncoming traffic? No. Furthermore, red affects night vision FAR less than the white of oncoming traffic. Furthermore, anything that makes the clown following me look up from texting her boyfriend and realize I'm braking is a good thing. You might not realize this, living in the back of nowhere, but brighter brake lights stop a lot of accidents in urban areas, and most people live in urban areas.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
GrimJack;1805600 said:
Put away the beer. You're talking madness. LED's are superior in every facet - faster to react, less power usage, longer service life, hell, you can even program them to display Hello Kitty patterns if that tickles your fancy. The European method of having them blink several times, then go solid red when brakes are applied is so far in advance of what we have here, it makes our technology look like something from the dark ages.

Too bright? Are they brighter than the headlights from the oncoming traffic? No. Furthermore, red affects night vision FAR less than the white of oncoming traffic. Furthermore, anything that makes the clown following me look up from texting her boyfriend and realize I'm braking is a good thing. You might not realize this, living in the back of nowhere, but brighter brake lights stop a lot of accidents in urban areas, and most people live in urban areas.

dave I agree about the pros of them I even listed that I my post hehe, but really they are bright and I have to look at them when driveing cause there infront of you and in heavy traffic they can down right be blinding when brakes are hit.

further more on come traffic i do not look at if there brite I look towards the shoulder of the road like you are suppost too, it even says that in you drive Manuel when ya get your licence

(Furthermore, anything that makes the clown following me look up from texting her boyfriend and realize I'm braking is a good thing)

if this happens you all ready in accident all ready or should not be on the road

but I must say we have gotten this far with light bulbs or dimmer leds, and I think they work just fine

if you compared the mk3 3rd led brake lamp to the new cars there not as brite

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
He also upgrades the LEDs inside to make them more brighter if desired...Thats what is done to my car in the video. The module he sells has 36 different blinking types.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I already pulled mine apart and replaced all the LEDs, the fact that some were failing, or had already died completely was driving me crazy. The new setup is certainly brighter than my old one was, however, there's no way to figure out if it's brighter than when they were new.

I've been trying to think of ways to do the regular tail lights, too. I could just replace the bulbs, I guess...

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
In my vendor thread the module is $30 shipped and the light on gurley0916 is the intermediate speed, There is a rapid mode as well. Best part about the module is that if in rush hour traffic you have the capability to have the tail light delayed 15 or 30 seconds before it blinks again so your not having a rave behind your car.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Nash, sorry man I completely disagree. The new LED's are bright and yes, at times annoying. That's the point! They grab your attention and will most certainly minimize accidents. They are not NEARLY bright enough to be a safety concern.

Think of living in an area with routine fog. I've been in a few situations of fog where I was very concerned about people behind seeing me. I've been on I-25 (75mph speed limit) where I've had to SUDDENLY slow down to 25mph to drive safely. The fog can be like a curtain and appear absolutely suddenly. Same can happen with snowfall here in Colorado. Those brighter, crisper lights could save a life, or a Supra.

Not to mention the advantages of power efficiency, reliability (if one light goes out, you still have other brake lights unlike incandescent), longer life, ease of designing effective tail lights which guide light in a more effective pattern... etc...

I wish every single car on the road had them. Along with properly adjusted HID projector headlights. :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
European cars flash their emergency flashers when you brake hard.

But anyway, Yes, let's ban LED's because they're "bright" when that's the whole point... Not to mention the main safety part of them that they come on faster than a normal bulb (yes this makes a difference in reaction times)

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Well I am not the only one but maybe my eyes are made of surge and I am big sissy hahah

but I do think some times it be nice if they put more thought in to the dimmer module, mabye like if you were to hold you brakes steady it would dim down like if you were in traffic at light and the module senesing the car was not moving from registering form wheel sensor

or some thing along thou lines or car that sences fog/heavy rain/snow and mabey briten it up to compensate

that be really goo idea if they did that

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Solved

sunglasses_i_wear_my_sunglasses_at_night_tshirt-p235298264794265036a77p0_325.jpg

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Albert;1805690 said:
In my vendor thread the module is $30 shipped and the light on gurley0916 is the intermediate speed, There is a rapid mode as well. Best part about the module is that if in rush hour traffic you have the capability to have the tail light delayed 15 or 30 seconds before it blinks again so your not having a rave behind your car.
You should add that to your signature so it's easy for my lazy ass to find.