Leather Recaro's, good idea?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have a mint set of factory Recaros in my Supra right now, but I was thinking today, they would look bad-ass if I re-did them in leather to match the shadow gray dash pad.

Should I leave them the way they are, or re-finish them in leather?

Better yet, trade them to a local supra member for his ratty recaros, and some cash, THEN get them re-done.....

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
2nd option. If you're going to recover them anyway, might as well trade for another less nice set and make some money to offset the leather fee.

I'm personally not a fan of leather.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
OneJoeZee;932526 said:
2nd option. If you're going to recover them anyway, might as well trade for another less nice set and make some money to offset the leather fee.

I'm personally not a fan of leather.

My exact thoughts, but I tend to ramble on more, I'll be to keep it simple.

1st route: Leather is nice, but even with good care the looks don't hold up for long unless usage is very light. So unless you use the rarely then there isn't a need for leather since there are many other materials in assorted paterns that are durable (last forever!) and look hot, but this would basically mean that there is no point in recovering the seats at all since the recaro set you have IS in good condition and already does look hot.

2nd: The other route to go, obviously, is leather. This would be the option if you had your mind set on leather, I know I do and intend to re-upholster my interior to a nice leather down the road, and I know I will have to live with fading and cracking and material that is generally easier to tear but when it comes to cars, you get what you want. So if this is the case then logic should tell you to trade for the more ratty set and then re-upholster, no question about it. On the plus side again, it makes another supra owner happy.

Edit: If you do decide to re-upolster, I suggest that you should get the Recaro logo re-stiched into the seats. Also, I couldn't tell from the first post if you intend to do the rear seats as well. I'm assuming you are but if you then I suggest you do them as well. If you're going to leather, get the other areas done to match. (door skins, side panels in the back and possibly the armrest lid! :))

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Guyana00;932932 said:
Edit: If you do decide to re-upolster, I suggest that you should get the Recaro logo re-stiched into the seats. Also, I couldn't tell from the first post if you intend to do the rear seats as well. I'm assuming you are but if you then I suggest you do them as well. If you're going to leather, get the other areas done to match. (door skins, side panels in the back and possibly the armrest lid! :))

I hear you about the lettering. I got the letters stitched in my current set, and it looks hot. I would also likely do a Toyota and/or a Supra logo in the headrest in something that doesn't stand out too much.

5%20Fixed%20Seat.jpg

Yes, I would do the rear seats as well, possibly the door panels too.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Guyana00;932932 said:
My exact thoughts, but I tend to ramble on more, I'll be to keep it simple.

1st route: Leather is nice, but even with good care the looks don't hold up for long unless usage is very light. So unless you use the rarely then there isn't a need for leather since there are many other materials in assorted paterns that are durable (last forever!) and look hot, but this would basically mean that there is no point in recovering the seats at all since the recaro set you have IS in good condition and already does look hot.

No, leather is MORE durable than cloth, and won't fade the same way.

Most people don't take care of their leather. It's a seat after all. Proper care of leather requires washing it to remove the dirt from the pores, and then moisturizing it (it's SKIN, think of it as such)

Clied

Wangan Supra
Jun 8, 2006
NorCal
Uhh... I'd just keep them the way they are. Although I don't really like leather either. Second option would be the better choice.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
That is the only five speed third gen f-body I've ever seen. Those seats don't look very high quality or comfortable

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Poodles;933729 said:
No, leather is MORE durable than cloth, and won't fade the same way.

Most people don't take care of their leather.

I agree with the second part but I still think cloth is more durable over a long period of time. Properly cared for leather will hold up it's appearance than if it wasnt care for, but it is inevitable that they will crack and wrinkle. When it comes to cloth, properly cared for cloth can last a lifetime looking perfect. This is my opinion, just what I believe, I don't mean to make something of it.