Learning to weld

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
Anyone in the Lower mainland welling to teach me the basics of mig welding

I know its alot to ask

but none of my friends know how to weld and i want to start makeing some of my own custom parts

free Beer and pizza for the helpee

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
it's kinda like sex, you teach yourself mostly...

all the book knowledge in the world won't tell you how to weld, you just gotta do it...

I still suck at it LOL

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
werd.. you gotta learn by doing.. my frist welds were ugly as sin, but i've gotten slightly better now.. Its much cheaper making all your own exhausts, dps, intercooler pipes etc.. well worth it.. and even if they look like ass, a grinder will fix it ;)

just start welding shit together.. start small though.. my first project were my intercooler pipes.. LOL

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
buckshotglass said:
Mig welding is super easy. It's like drawing with a crayon.
If you already have the welder, post a pic, and we can help with the settings.

yep. learn to watch the weld pool and you are set.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
IJ. said:
Been welding 35 years and still learning ;)

Agreed. GMAW is the easiest of the electric processes to learn. GTAW is the most difficult. I have inverters for both (a GTAW machine will also do SMAW) but for the kind of work I typically do I use GTAW.

Practice is important but there's a lot more involved especially if you're going to learn GTAW. Materials, theory, ect. Don't skimp on the bookwork and you'll be a better weldor. Best is to take some classes at your local community college.

Edit: To state the obvious don't skimp on safety either. This stuff can hurt you and it's not just the typical burns. For example GTAW runs so clean there's a tendency to forget how much radiation is being emitted. Be mindful of what you're breathing too. Then there's the problem of occasionally setting things afire even when experienced and being careful. Ask me how I know ;)

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Just like others have said, its not so much teaching as it is learning as you do it. At that same time, just as jetjock stated, dont skimp on bookwork. Get a book or two and read up on it, plus there is some decent info on Miller's website. ( www.millerwelds.com ) in thier resources section.

The two of the main key things with Mig (GMAW= Gas Metal Arc Welding) is that for one, when you have your Voltage, Wire speed, and Travel speed correct, you should have nice Crackel to buzz sound simular to the sound for food frying in a frying pan. The second important thing is that your weld beads should be somewhat shiny and silvery for mild steel and a goldish / red color for stainless in apperance. If they are dull and gray for either metal, they are then they are too hot. Welds that are too hot run a much higher risk of cracking and failing.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
man, i wish i had the balls to just go out and get a TIG welder... i have a 120v GMAW... without the G. im using 0.030" flux core. my welds turn out ok but the slag makes it harder to start a weld backup after stopping to reposition the piece. plus, the tips wear out fast. when i was trying to weld w/ a worn tip... all i could think of is how i got so much shittier at welding compared to when i was in class. then i put the new tip on and the welds came out SO much better, in spite of being flux-core wire.

id pick up a Lincoln 120v mig welder to start off with. its helped me do SO much work. i just cant do stainless or aluminum though. if i could do that, id never have to out source again! ive tried it on stainless and it was FUN and my welds turned out really well for being the first-time ever. it really is like chewing bubble gum, jumping on one foot while rubbing your belly and patting your head... but oh so fun! in addition to Chris' sound description; TIG sounds like your stereotypical Electrical buzz like on cartoons or old horror movies. however, on aluminum, the buzz can get pretty loud, especially when the arc scatters due to a dipped tip or too far from the piece during auto-strike.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
werd.

GMAW is quite easy....and even the cheapo welders do a good job on thin metal. but there is no substitute for a quality welder. my friend's miller 251? cuts AMAZING welds....whereas my wieney lincoln 120V cuts merely adequate welds.

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
Yeah.

My craftsman welder has done amazing with steel pipes since I bought it a year ago.
p794559_1.jpg

Still looks like boogers.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Whats a good welder to start off with, Ive always wanted to buy one and learn. Ive herd lincoln is a good place to start, but are the low end cheap ones any good? For learning and welding just basic non-critical stuff is it worth just saving and buying a more expensive welder or going low end?

Im always tempted by the craftsman welders but Ive been told they arent that good(as with CM compressors).