Lean condition

1987supraomega

Stupid hurts
Apr 11, 2005
Elroy, WI
www.cardomain.com
Would that also cause my car to have a rough cold startup, b/c in the morning when I go out to start it it lopes like a cammed big v8 for 10 to 15 seconds at about 600 rpm then it will pick up to normal idle speed and run fine at 1000rpm from there on out. I know these cars are cold blooded but usually in the summer I don't have that problem.

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
A bad Fuel Pressure Regulator could cause a lean condition?

I guess that makes sense... if the FPR were stuck open, the fuel system might not be able to build enough pressure to keep the injectors fed.

Boostedst8six, did you do a fuel pressure check when you were having those problems? If so, what were your readings?

1987supraomega, if your problem is exactly the same as mine, your problem is probably either a restriction (clogged filter or something) or a bad component (fuel pump or FPR). You might try a fuel pressure check -- FI-71 in the TSRM, http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/fi/FI_071.html is the link. I bought the fuel pressure test kit at NAPA for $45, though you could probably find it cheaper if you shopped around.

I'll let you know the results when I tear into mine next week.

Boostedstr8six said:
I had very similar symptoms (minus the NB a/f guage) that remained even after walbro/fuel filter/12v. The thing that made the difference was swapping out my fpr. I think the old one had flopped and I was leaning out pretty bad, causing the tccs to pull timing until I got over ~3k rpm. I even heard some detonation right when the power finally came on. After the fpr swap power is consistent without the spoolup hesitation and a lot of the time, now, I can see a quick burst of black smoke at spoolup. This is an indication of the usual pig rich nature of a healthy, virtually stock 7MGTE. Just my experience and your problem could be something else.