Lean condition

1987supraomega

Stupid hurts
Apr 11, 2005
Elroy, WI
www.cardomain.com
K guys I posted something about this the other day, but here goes again anyways. I just replaced my CT-26 with a new rebuilt, and shimmed it to 9psi.
Well I was running 6 psi before, but now my A/F gauge is reading extremely lean, yes I know that it is narrowband and not as accurate but it does work under heavy load. Well as soon as I go to WOT and full boos the car will drop right off the scale and the engine light will come on, come to think of it I haven't seen the car go to rich since the new turbo install, anyways when the boost comes on the car will hold back or hesitate. Sometimes it will go to Ideal and take off like a bat out of hell. I went through and rewired the 02 sensor today and it seemed to help very little though. Do you guys think that the 02 sensor could be going bad, TPS, or any other thing I may have missed.
Oh and I did run a bottle of injector cleaner through it thinking it was maybe them but that didn't help either.

tomjan87

Apr 18, 2005
Madison, WI
well you have a problem with fuel, try the fuel filter first, you may need a adjustable fuel pressure regulator, get a walbro pump, you may have plugged lines, bad injectors. Try the easiest first, it may be something simple.
good luck

turbo

Mr. Clean
Apr 27, 2005
Calgary
The fuel filter is right by the rear diff and in front of the gas tank. It is one of the gayest jobs I have done on my supra. It could take at least a couple of hours if the bolts loosen smoothly, otherwise, no dice and it isn't coming off. A fuel line wrench is a necessity. This is just my two cents.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
sounds like you just have a boost leak. check IC pipes.

check codes. i bet youll have a code for turbo pressure.

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
I have an 87 Turbo and had a very similar situation. It ended up being boost leak (an intercooler pipe was loose from the increase in pressure from 7 PSI to 13 PSI). Check the lines to and from your intercooler and also the turbo.

You may also be running lean which is a different problem. You can do a diagnostic check for the O2 sensor - look at the TSRM online. It has a step by step guide to see if your O2 sensor is good or not.

Any error codes?

kulangflow

Celica All-trac Turbo
Mar 30, 2005
UT
1987supraomega said:
Wouldn't loose IC pipes cause rough idle and so on? Bcause it idles and seems to run fine other than under wot

Sometimes the leaks only show-up under high pressure.

1987supraomega

Stupid hurts
Apr 11, 2005
Elroy, WI
www.cardomain.com
Yea i understand that but it seems as if it something electrical b/c sometimes like i said it will be just fine and go like hell. I did check the error codes and I think I'm getting a 12, and 22. Anybody know what these are I don't have the owners manual. I did check most of my pipe clamps and they seem to be good but I still need to get under the car.

1987supraomega

Stupid hurts
Apr 11, 2005
Elroy, WI
www.cardomain.com
Alright I got a new symptom when punching it the car will hesitate and basically drop of the A/F gauge then a few seconds after full boost it's like something switches over and it'll jump to ideal and take off, it seems as if a sensor is malfunctioning any ideas which one?

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
I had very similar symptoms (minus the NB a/f guage) that remained even after walbro/fuel filter/12v. The thing that made the difference was swapping out my fpr. I think the old one had flopped and I was leaning out pretty bad, causing the tccs to pull timing until I got over ~3k rpm. I even heard some detonation right when the power finally came on. After the fpr swap power is consistent without the spoolup hesitation and a lot of the time, now, I can see a quick burst of black smoke at spoolup. This is an indication of the usual pig rich nature of a healthy, virtually stock 7MGTE. Just my experience and your problem could be something else.